Religious/Spiritual Markets

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I noticed this subfolder show up last night and then noticed this morning that there wasn't anything here yet.

How about a list of markets?

In getting ready to post this, I looked through my bookmarks but I didn't find anything to include here. Admittedly, I was looking quickly instead of thoroughly, so it's highly likely that I overlooked something.

I will post a market or two later today. Anyone with me?

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea, though we might want to make separate folders for Christian and pagan...I know Sally Stuart's Christian markets would definitely not be interested in wicca, for example.

Maybe this should be a "sticky" thread in each spiritual forum. Then "Other" could still be reserved for other faiths (Moslem, Jewish, etc.)

Last edited:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oops ;-)...can you tell I spent too much time on the proposal yesterday? Time for a break I think...

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Markets

Ancient Paths (www.editorskylar.com) accept submissions from non-Chrsitian writers provided they are appropriate for publication in a Christian magazine. We have published poems by Jewish writers that center around Biblical characters, for instance, and poems by Muslim writers on generic, broad religious themes. (No pagan themes.)

The Messianic Literary Corner (http://www.messianic-literary.com/) is a place for Messianic Jews to publish online.

Rock and Sling (http://www.rockandsling.org/) publishes work that "nudges up against Christianity," which means they are not looking for explicit Christian works and would likely be open to works by authors of other faiths that share similar values/views of God.

Sacred Journey (http://www.sacredjourney.org/guidelines.htm) is a multifaith journal containing poetry and prose. They seem to favour broad spiritual themes.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
CaoPaux said:
Here are some places to start:
And don't forget to amble on down to the bookstore and see who published what's on the shelf.

Thanks CaoPaux for your list. I wonder do you know, or does anyone know of agents who are interested in the field of Other Spiritual Writing? I should classify my Other. I kick against my own genre Spiritual because I don't like its fancifulness. Personally I classify most Spiritual, even Religious as brands of romance--for the most part they entertain hopeful hearts, which is not ignoble. I'd be an agnositic if my personal experiences didn't darn well contradict it.

I want an agent, because it's not only factual spiritual that I write, but I have several other projects as well. Hope someone can help.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
gclare said:
I'm having trouble finding an agent for such subject matter as well, and have about two dozen rejections. These rejections are all polite, and cite that the subject matter itself is not what they are currently handling; none have cited "lack of writing skill" or similar predictions. I'll let you know who finally accepts my work, which hovers in the gray area between Buddhist and New Age.

I found a terrific list of agents here (where else!) by Jenny Glatzer (who else!) called Agents! Agents! Agents! Access is via login. It's a PDF file, ebookAgents.pdf. The list is comprehensive, giving many agents wants and don't wants--extremely useful!

I wish you luck with your book. I guess it's all down to pitch, pitch, pitch, and what a brute that is, for me anyway. I look forward to hearing who accepts your work. Everyone does. I let you know about mine too, if by then I'm still capable of writing.

akaa1a

Giggle Collector
Registered
Reaction score
I feel your pain, SLake. I have the same problem...
I guess unless a novel has copious amounts of shooting and dying, then no one wants it.
Christmas fiction is quite the no-no, so I guess I'll just move on to something else.:cry:

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
akaa1a said:
I feel your pain, SLake. I have the same problem...
I guess unless a novel has copious amounts of shooting and dying, then no one wants it.
Christmas fiction is quite the no-no, so I guess I'll just move on to something else.:cry:

Thanks for your sympathy, it's touched a fellow heart. I've been learning that it helps to think of agents and publishers as shallow air-heads who can't think beyond the end of their noses. I'm generalizing here of course, but I'd hold Snark's critiques as a prime example, and if you do some research I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that writers are the thinkers of the world. And then, there are others, the aforementioned being the last of the least, because they can be.

This may sound elitist, but the downtrodden writer, struggling against incredible odds (if you're not a writer, wing it) seldom feels elitist. Sure, not all writers are unique. Some are daily published, but others, Don Quixotes probably, must fight for the impossible dream.

Climbing mountains and building empires is easy, because the sweat and moaning is evident, but it is writers who gave them their dreams. It is writers who fashioned their worlds. With our concepts they go forth. They can't think AAKA1A, so do it for them.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
akaa1a said:
Merry Christmas to you, SLake...
I have a feeling there will be good things on the horizon for us all!:heart:

Shan

Right on Shan! Hugs to you and yours! :e2cloud9: We write the songs!

euphrosene

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosenelabon.com
SLake said:
I found a terrific list of agents here (where else!) by Jenny Glatzer (who else!) called Agents! Agents! Agents! Access is via login. It's a PDF file, ebookAgents.pdf. The list is comprehensive, giving many agents wants and don't wants--extremely useful!

Please could you help me with a link?

Many thanks, Euphrosene

DeliatheCrone

Hello, I'm new here. And I don't think I've noticed a specifically-Pagan publisher yet, or have I missed it?