Writers as Children: the psychological equivalent of scarlet fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcatter67

Registered
Reaction score
What do you all think of this? Rick DeMarinis in "The Art and Craft of the Short Story" says this:

Something happens to people destined for a life of writing that has nothing to do with literature. It happens early in life and is probably the psychological equivalent of scarlet fever. It has to do with pain. In answer to the question, "What is the best early training for a writer?" Hemingway said, "An unhappy childhood." Unhappy children (unhappy for whatever reasons-from physical abuse to psychological abandonment) grow up with the potentially destructive feelings that they have to seize the right to exist. They have been told in subtle and unsubtle ways that they have no rightful claim on life. These are the ones who get in trouble early and then go on to achieve impressive things, either good or bad-the criminals and artists, the psychopaths and the self-made millionaires. An unhappy childhood often hones a powerful sense of injustice, and that very often is the core motivation for reformers, overachievers, criminals and artists.

Reaction score
This bit resonated with me:

...Unhappy children (unhappy for whatever reasons-from physical abuse to psychological abandonment) grow up with the potentially destructive feelings that they have to seize the right to exist. They have been told in subtle and unsubtle ways that they have no rightful claim on life...

That's me all over.

Plus, I have the added headfuck of having had scarlet fever in my early teens.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
This builds into the myth BS that 'artists have to suffer'.

We all suffer, some more than others, some are writers, others painters, politicians, comedians, actors, musicians, parents, teachers or whatever combination.

Picasso was a genius as a painter but a sh*t with women. His attitude toward women was separate from his painting, he was a visionary and a bastard and more.

We have all been influenced but we can also choose to change.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a reasonably normal childhood (security, love, limits, etc.) so I was all set to disagree with the idea that an unhappy childhood is a requirement for writing. Mine wasn't perfect, but I wouldn't call it unhappy.

But this is me:
...grow up with the potentially destructive feelings that they have to seize the right to exist. They have been told in subtle and unsubtle ways that they have no rightful claim on life...

I'm the youngest of four and it's been clear for as long as I can remember that my parents intended to have only three children. I've always felt like I lucked into existence through some loophole. As long as I'm here, I'm going to make it count.

Reaction score
Here's one of my favourite quotations:

The urge to write is also the fear of death - the need to leave messages saying "I was here, I saw it too." -Laurie Lee

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'....destined for a life of writing'? Oh, woe is me - spare me!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
What do you all think of this? Rick DeMarinis in "The Art and Craft of the Short Story" says this:

Something happens to people destined for a life of writing that has nothing to do with literature. It happens early in life and is probably the psychological equivalent of scarlet fever. It has to do with pain. In answer to the question, "What is the best early training for a writer?" Hemingway said, "An unhappy childhood." Unhappy children (unhappy for whatever reasons-from physical abuse to psychological abandonment) grow up with the potentially destructive feelings that they have to seize the right to exist. They have been told in subtle and unsubtle ways that they have no rightful claim on life. These are the ones who get in trouble early and then go on to achieve impressive things, either good or bad-the criminals and artists, the psychopaths and the self-made millionaires. An unhappy childhood often hones a powerful sense of injustice, and that very often is the core motivation for reformers, overachievers, criminals and artists.

This could have been written about me. I mean WORD FOR WORD. Eerie.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
I'd say I write from the inspirations in my life, not from the down side of it. Not that there were any horrible things that happened to me or my family. Things that threw obstacles in our paths, yes. My dad was a coal miner, got laid off my senior year in high school. He went back to college and is now a computer programmer for a major company in Pennsylvania. He pulled off straight A's his first two semesters to be able to transfer out of his original major (which he flunked out of) twenty-five years prior. It was the coolest thing I ever saw.

The only 'tragic' thing about my childhood according to my mother was my mood swings. And that was more tragic for her than me.

Can adversity or tragedy or past suffering help you as a writer? Yes. Can the opposite do the same? In my opinion, that answer is also yes.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
That, as someone else said, is so much mythological bullshit it made me angry reading it.

I had a very happy childhood. Or I"m blocking. But the point is, I don't believe anyone ever told me I was worthless. Quite the opposite, I was told I was smart, talented, and encouraged every step of the way.

It also makes me angry because if it were true, then I've wasted my entire life in pursuit of something I can't do, that my dreams are unattainable.

Besides, I'm a firm believer that its never too late to have a happy childhood.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Besides, I'm a firm believer that its never too late to have a happy childhood.

I usually find myself agreeing with you, FerretFace, but not today. I feel that is spoken like someone who truly did have a happy childhood. That statement isn't even possible metaphorically. The ruin of my childhood could never be given a pretty spin. Never. It is definitely too late for me to have a happy childhood. I'm having a happy adulthood and providing my children with a happy childhood...but it's too late for me.

Reaction score
That, as someone else said, is so much mythological bullshit it made me angry reading it.

Maybe in your opinion.

I had a very happy childhood.

Good for you. Not everyone was so fortunate.

...I don't believe anyone ever told me I was worthless.

Maybe they didn't. Good. But the article isn't saying those who had a happy childhood would never be writers; just that those who had an unhappy one are likely to be driven to the creative arts, which I firmly believe.

...Besides, I'm a firm believer that its never too late to have a happy childhood.

Easy for you to say. You had one.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You're not dead yet are you? I don't mean deluding yourself that you once had a happy childhood, I mean having a happy childhood NOW.

Or you can just dwell in your self-pity and loathing. (The royal you, not you specifically KTC.)

And as you said, you're having a happy adulthood and providing your kids with a happy childhood. It's never too late.

ETA: Drat. Scarlet got in the way again. And YAY! We're disagreeing. The world has righted itself.

Reaction score
Facing up to the reality of an unhappy childhood does not mean wallowing in self-pity and self-loathing. It means looking at it and seeing it for what it really was.

Acknowledging one's past does not stop us from having a future.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Acknowledging one's past does not stop us from having a future.
And that is what I meant it never being too late to have a happy childhood.

I guess I'm speaking metaphorically. But it's pissing you off and that's making me happy. :)

But the article isn't saying those who had a happy childhood would never be writers; just that those who had an unhappy one are likely to be driven to the creative arts, which I firmly believe.

Actually, he did. He said, "Something happens to people destined for a life of writing..." He didn't say, something happens to SOME people or a FEW people. He said PEOPLE, as in everyone who is destined to be a writer.

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't dwell on my childhood. I do not believe in self-pity. But it is there. It is a part of me. I don't deny my childhood...but it doesn't drag me down, either. To get to where I am now only makes me feel like I was victorious despite my childhood. But no...you can never go back. You can be childlike as an adult, but it is too late to have a happy childhood if you didn't have a happy childhood.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Well, consider the source. Barbiturate Princess could slip into any make believe world she wants to. She cannot go back. It's pretty to make these statements...but pretty isn't truthtown.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I concluded around age five that I'd been left in a basket on the doorstep; I wasn't like anyone else in the family. Plus I had untreated scarlet fever which became rheumatic fever which wrecked a heart valve or two. Very interesting little piece there, that o.p.

Last edited:

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
It sounds like my childhood. I don't know if that's why I started writing, though . . . I'm sure if I gave this some heavier thought I would agree.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I think a lot of writers come from a childhood experience where they escaped into books, either because of illness or because of family stress or both.

A lot, but not all.

DarkKnightJRK

Gonzo Journalist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Eh...while I'm sure that a bad childhood inspired some people into the creative arts, it's definately not the only thing.

I wouldn't say I had a bad childhood. I mean, I got picked on a lot, didn't have reliable friends until two years ago, can't stand most of my family and had anger issues as a kid, but I wouldn't call it bad.

Really, I think the basic, essential tools you need to be a writer is a grasp on the language you're writing in, an active imagination, and some utensils and paper to write on. The rest can help, but it's not really necessary.

willfs

Registered
Reaction score
On one hand, I definitely think humans have a way of turning suffering into something very positive.

On the other hand, does that necessarily mean suffering produces great artists? Could someone become a great teacher because of how much they struggled to learn as a child? Could someone become a great attorney because of the injustice they suffered? And of course, does that mean that those who don't suffer, don't develop any talents?

Status
Not open for further replies.