PDA

View Full Version : AW Naysayers

Bartholomew
01-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Every so often I bump into someone (Read: they leave a nasty comment in my blog) who basically equates AW with bad writers who will never be published.

I'm wondering what on earth makes people say this. I own honest to goodness non-vanity published novels with AW-forum-goer names printed right there on the cover. If that's failure, where's the line to fail?

scarletpeaches
01-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Jealousy. Not feeling like part of the gang. Resentment that we, as a whole, don't hold back from pointing out where people are going wrong in their quest for publication.

If others who resent this site point out members' faults, that means our opinion isn't worth listening to 'cause we're all bad writers. And if we're all bad writers, they don't have to listen to us when we say, "Try this, try that, do this, do it that way." And if they don't have to listen to us, they can just carry on in their merry way, blaming everything in the universe but their bad writing for their lack of success.

I, too, own several books with AW members' names on the covers and I've read other agented material friends - yes, I count them as friends - have sent me before publication (or presentation in other ways if we're talking about scripts and screenplays).

HeronW
01-12-2008, 05:03 PM
>who basically equates AW with bad writers..

What the f*ck is wrong with those people? Gee, sour grapes anyone?

MattW
01-12-2008, 05:13 PM
They are probably people who were banned from here.

robeiae
01-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Bad righters? Wear? Hear? Their ar badder righters in alot of sight, but not hear. Ithink they jellosy.

zenwriter
01-12-2008, 06:33 PM
AW is different from other boards. Other boards I have tried seem to be basically big on just providing gushy praise of every bit of writing that comes along. If thatís what you expect, it might be a shock to hear what everyone really thinks.:D Itís their loss, anyway Ė AW is great!

DonnaDuck
01-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah, they were either banned or didn't like the fact that someone on here pointed out that they couldn't write worth a damn. I'm going to hop on the jealousy bandwagon. Perhaps they should wander down to the testicle store and purchase a set.

jst5150
01-12-2008, 07:09 PM
FFS, just f'n n00bs b1tchin bot stff!!!!1111!!!!!1111

Mom'sWrite
01-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Bad righters? Wear? Hear? Their ar badder righters in alot of sight, but not hear. Ithink they jellosy.

I toyed with the idea of falling madly in love with you due to your enlightened writing style but now...

I'm in deep.

robeiae
01-12-2008, 08:26 PM
I toyed with the idea of falling madly in love with you due to your enlightened writing style but now...

I'm in deep.
I gots korn...

nerds
01-12-2008, 08:30 PM

See, now, I just so jelluz of this, I never cud writes this gud, I flouncz now. Going to eatz worms and sour grapez and post nasties on blogz.

:e2sling:

Mom'sWrite
01-12-2008, 08:36 PM
I gots korn...

Ah the subtlety. The majesty. The unabashed power of prose.

I swoon.

brianm
01-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Probably because they are unwilling to hear the truth about publishing and about their writing.

Everybody is a writer now and all of them have great stories to tell, which they type out on their PC and edit with spell/grammar check. Then they submit their drivel to someone like PA and in six months they are a published author. Bit like pushing the "easy" button, no?

They haven't honed their skills, they haven't studied the fine points and techniques of writing, and they haven't a clue how the publishing world actually works.

But they are a published author. And they'll shove that title down your throat every time you speak to them.

In the past, it bothered me when they would proclaim themselves published authors. Now, I just smile. If that's what blows wind up their skirts, then more power to them. No skin off my teeth.

Silver King
01-12-2008, 10:19 PM
You should hear what some folks say about AW mods on other boards. Yikes! It would be funny if it weren't so depraved, especially when they come back to AW and act like two-faced assholes who have no idea we heard what they said behind our backs.

But I wouldn't lose any sleep over what people say away from this site. Who cares? It's just a lot of hot air with zero substance.

DonnaDuck
01-12-2008, 10:47 PM
What could they possibly say about the mods on this site? You guys are probably the most passive group of moderators I've ever come across on a forum. So what? Did these dweebs like to stab others in the eye and got cranky when a mod told them to stop?

quickWit
01-12-2008, 10:59 PM
You should hear what some folks say about AW mods on other boards.

I'm sorry. I had no idea the mods read other boards.

Again, my apologies to you and your lovely family. :)

choppersmom
01-12-2008, 11:18 PM
As a former member of one of those "other boards," I can tell you that yes, there's a level of deeply repressed jealousy going on, but there's also a high level of downright derangement sometimes, and irrationality that simply can't be reasoned with. I know nobody likes to get ripped off, but when you do, isn't it better to admit it and move on, rather than develop animosity for anyone who tells you your decision was wrong? Why fight tooth and nail to defend a bad choice? Just say, yes, I got taken for a ride, I know better now, and I'm going to chalk it up as a learning experience and do better next time. I'm not going to slap my name on a piece of bad writing just to be able to say, I'm published. I'm going to work at my craft and try to get published the right way, and if I don't, maybe it's because it wasn't meant to be. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a professional writer. To continue to praise dishonest practices is denial at a psychologically unstable level, IMO.

It happens I personally read and learned and educated myself about the bad choices before I was even at a point to consider them, so I escaped unscathed, but if I had been one of the unfortunates, I would be right alongside all the others who learned the hard way what the words "illegitimate" and "dishonest" mean, and do whatever they can to prevent it happening to others.

CatSlave
01-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Could be some PublishAmerica stalwarts firing back in self-defense.
The 'jealousy' comment is one of their regular reactions.

kristie911
01-13-2008, 12:38 AM
See? This is why I never leave AW. :D

swvaughn
01-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Ah, admit it. U guyz are a bunch of loosers.

:D

Esopha
01-13-2008, 12:56 AM
The fact that they're discussing how AW sucks - on another board, in their spare time - should tell you all you need to know.

CBeasy
01-13-2008, 01:16 AM
It's just people who are angry that, for whatever reason, they are not able to be part of the AW community, and share in the attention and benefits found therein. Thus, they must take focus from here and attempt to bring it in there direction, though negative and ignorant comments.

The fact that they're discussing how AW sucks - on another board, in their spare time - should tell you all you need to know.
Exactly!

BenPanced
01-13-2008, 03:09 AM
AW is different from other boards. Other boards I have tried seem to be basically big on just providing gushy praise of every bit of writing that comes along. If thatís what you expect, it might be a shock to hear what everyone really thinks.:D Itís their loss, anyway Ė AW is great!
Unfortunately, that's been my experience, as well. Big time Golden Words Syndrome: what I writted is prefekt adn if yuo dont agree wit me, your stopid.

Another thing I've noticed about AW is people here tend to temper their warnings, kind of like a friendly pat on the shoulder. They want to help, but only if you're willing to listen (I've never understood the blow-ups that happen when somebody's asked for help and they aren't going to accept it because it's not the answer they wanted to hear).

Yeah, they were either banned or didn't like the fact that someone on here pointed out that they couldn't write worth a damn. I'm going to hop on the jealousy bandwagon. Perhaps they should wander down to the testicle store and purchase a set.
It's easier/cheaper to grow your own.

Probably because they are unwilling to hear the truth about publishing and about their writing.

Everybody is a writer now and all of them have great stories to tell, which they type out on their PC and edit with spell/grammar check. Then they submit their drivel to someone like PA and in six months they are a published author. Bit like pushing the "easy" button, no?

They haven't honed their skills, they haven't studied the fine points and techniques of writing, and they haven't a clue how the publishing world actually works.

But they are a published author. And they'll shove that title down your throat every time you speak to them.

In the past, it bothered me when they would proclaim themselves published authors. Now, I just smile. If that's what blows wind up their skirts, then more power to them. No skin off my teeth.
Or going over to the marketing and self-promotion forums over on NaNoWriMo, you see so many people announcing their 2007 NaNo novel is being "published" by Lulu. Yeah. It's been less than two months (spell check doesn't take that long, does it?) and they're already offering it up for sale. (Hell, it took me six months of editing and rewriting before I felt my 2004 entry was possibly ready to be shopped around.) Unfortunately, you can't say anything. It all comes back to the fact "your all jsut jealos!", especially if you haven't published anything. Even if you have, you're just jealous of the competition.

Voyager
01-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Pfft, who gives a shit. Gimme sum korms, robabunchavowels

Joycecwilliams
01-13-2008, 10:16 AM
There are a lot rude people on the net. Everyone I met here has been great.

Ignore the idiots.

Susie
01-13-2008, 12:13 PM
These people who are saying bad things about AW and our wonderful mods. better not say anything bad in my presence. If I don't get 'um, I'll sic my evil twin Gertrude on them and they'll be sorry!

Bartholomew
01-13-2008, 12:25 PM
These people who are saying bad things about AW and our wonderful mods. better not say anything bad in my presence. If I don't get 'um, I'll sic my evil twin Gertrude on them and they'll be sorry!

You aren't the evil twin? o_o

Susie
01-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Nah, Bart, Gert doesn't need me, she's pretty evil all by herself. :)

Joe270
01-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Jealousy. Not feeling like part of the gang.

Posting seriously for a change (yeah, I know, a stretch for me, but try to bear with me, please), I haven't understood this part of the gripes I've seen at AW, those who flounce and the bitchers.

I came in here through the 'bewares' forum, looking for advice. I got great advice there. I poked around and hung out for about a month or two, all invisible and all. Then I joined up and hung out in just two forums, notably Screenwriting with dpat and Odo. I dare anyone to give me one example of a gripe there, just one. Then I was invited into the Office Party where I discovered things weren't all serious all the time, and I liked that. I joined in.

That's all you have to do is join in.

I waded in waist deep in politics and current events and locked horns with Mac. I was demolished in quick order, as everyone knows. Still, all you have to do is join in. I did.

That helped me to understand that the folks here at AW aren't a bunch of empty avatars, they are stand-up people. I miss folks when they're busy and can't post, like Oswald and DClary. I always liked their stuff, and I miss their humor. I fight it out with folks at P&CE several times a week, and I like all of them. I don't care if we agree or not, it's just fun to get in and spar on occasion, or have someone who has a similar opinion for support of your thoughts.

As far as writers here are concerned, I have been on many sites for other purposes than writing. Dang, don't these folks know the basic rules of English? Can they buy an apostrophe, for cryin' out loud? Try spell check for once, people.

I do belong to another writer's site now, so AW is no longer my only hangout. The other is a niche play for teen and beginning writers. It's certainly no competition for AW for seasoned writers, but it does strive to mentor young writers. I like that. There has never been a negative word said about AW there, to the contrary, AW is listed as a great resource often.

This forum is a phenomenal resource for writers. The information just on the stickys in each forum will get a novice through the nuts and bolts of writing. Of course, those were written and compiled by a bunch of asshole moderators. . .

Yeah, those bossy mods. They just give time to help folks like those who love to hate them. Over and over again, they just keep on helping those who ask. Bunch of pricks who devote their time and assistance. Right.

A mod is no different than any other AW member. We all moderate from time to time when we need to do so. We are all one community. A mod is just another writer, like all of us, with the exception that they devote time to other writers, they just give more than most other members. The mods are selected by Mac to keep things running smoothly here, to keep her vision alive.

Of course, they get an extra dose of shit whenever they post an opinion, and they have to second-guess any jest, because it'll get crapped on.

Hey, Mac's looking for Mods, anybody wanna get crapped on, join up. Just join in.

This is a community of writers, policed by writers, edited by writers, critiqued by writers. If someone criticizes us, fine. Let them come in and post their gripe, I'd love to critique it.

Bottom line, it's pretty simple, just join in.

ona
01-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Who was it - Lou Reed ? Sweet jealousy, soothe and refresh me ...