absent
Registered
Reaction score
...yeah well -- looks gross huh :D

neti-pot.jpg

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/05/prweb527770.htm

...okay so i gots a question 'bout it... :(

the right nostril went umm-ohkay.

then the left not so -- methinks saline got into my middle ear :( so now da voices gots feet too :(

got any advice? it's been two days and i feels funny -- NOT!! :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ask Perks. She mentioned those a while back. Weirdo! Well, if it turns her on...;)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Do you pee in it or smoke it?

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you might have a slight sinus infection, or aggrevated a condition with the neti pot. I used one 20 yrs ago and did nothing but get very wet.

The sinus cavities hold about a quart/1 liter of fluid to keep the airways moist, to keep the ear/nose/throat at the optimal humidity, flushing out irritants with tears, sneezes, coughs, nasal discharge all 'fed' by the sinuses. Too much or too little fluid, esp. fluid with irritants found in teas, black or herbal, can be obnoxious to the sinuses.

If it's just saline, with nothing else, the body will absorb or redirect it to drain out via the ear or go back down the nose/throat--like when you get water in your ear from swimming.

You might try a steam facial, just hot water in a bowl, place your face close but not close enough to be discomfited by the steam, place a towel that will cover your head and the bowl--keeping the steam in. Breathing in through the nose will open the pssages with the warmth, add a bit more fluid and might ease the ear sloshing. If you get an earache, see your dr. Wearing a bit of cotton in the affected ear may help absorb the fluid when you sleep and the water works its way out of the ear canal.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
thanks, HeronW,

i had murderous, screaming ear pain for the first day and a half, preceeded by a seering burn inside the ear...

that's why i'm worried -- so i googled it and read up on the eustachian tube, the middle ear and ugh-arghhhh got scared.... yet still less scared than i'd be going to the doctor only to hear i need to be cut!!!

erm... thought mayhaps i's over reacting and some of you good folks might say that yeah, nothin' to it... happened to me and hey-ho here i am--hahah...

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I want to get one. I usually wake up congested, and so does my oldest son...I'm thinking it will help clear us out.

I hope your ear gets better. I had some leftover fluid from an infection once, and the sound bothered me sooo much I couldn't bear it any longer and went to the DR. He used a tiny little knife to cut a slit in my eardrum for the fluid to drain out, and until it healed, I could close my mouth and plug my nose and blow...and whistle out my ear! Fun for the whole family!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, I love it. I use it every day -

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84276

But, Angelinity, what you're describing happened to me once. I think it was from swallowing as I was using the Neti pot. It seemed to draw in a little of the water into my ear. It's an odd timing thing, so now I just don't swallow while I'm using the Neti pot. Yeah, that's right, I drool.

Anyway, I felt better after a day or so. If your ear still hurts, you may have an ear infection like HeronW suggested.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I love it. I use it every day -

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84276

But, Angelinity, what you're describing happened to me once. I think it was from swallowing as I was using the Neti pot. It seemed to draw in a little of the water into my ear. It's an odd timing thing, so now I just don't swallow while I'm using the Neti pot. Yeah, that's right, I drool.

Anyway, I felt better after a day or so. If your ear still hurts, you may have an ear infection like HeronW suggested.

YOU are a sanity-saver :D

i suspected that's what happened at the time -- mayhaps a lil cocky after it had worked so easily the first time, i believe my mouth was closed the second time... and probably swallowed...

YAY i'll liiiiive heheheheh
tongue-1.png

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You know what you could do - you could put a few drops of rubbing alcohol into your ear. Isn't that what they do for swimmer's ear? It isn't going to hurt anything and it might dry it right up.

Also (and conversely) a couple of drops of warm olive oil can be very soothing to a sore ear.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
i dabbed it with some tea tree oil and it stung like hell... :(

will try one of your two suggestions before beddy.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
If you're in a cold area, (upper hemisphere) wear a knitted cap in the house to keep that ear warm, wear the hat to bed too. Cold air or even tepid air pressing on the sensitive ear can be a bitch too. Good luck!

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
i haven't tried it. elli does and she's always pushing it. there's just something too escherian about pouring water up your nose.

oh, and once i had this thing in my ear for hours. my canal felt full of water, but it stung and drove me batty. i scratched and scratched at it until it popped out in my hand. it was an ant.

sorry.

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
WARNING! Please remember to drain properly. And, DO NOT OVERFILL THE POT!!!
Never use Champagne or "Sparkling Water"!

NETI.jpg

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Lol! Where the hell did you find that? You can overfill the pot all you like, all you're going to do is spill it on the way to the sink. And I can't really understand how you couldn't drain properly unless your sinuses have hidden chambers in them, in which case, I'd suggest a team of spelunking ants with little tiny explosive charges to break the blockages.

What? It's what they do in India.
WARNING! Please remember to drain properly. And, DO NOT OVERFILL THE POT!!!
Never use Champagne or "Sparkling Water"!

NETI.jpg

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh god, SP - just don't break out the photoshop again. I'm not over the last time you mucked with my visage.