PDA

View Full Version : So I killed my PC....

Mr Flibble
01-12-2008, 02:53 AM
There didn't seem anywhere else, and I neeeeed to get it off my chest, so....

I killed my PC. Big Style. The hard drive smelled that tinny smell of burned out electronics. It said it had no opertaing system. It did not know it was a hard drive. It no longer worked.

No biggy? Uh Uh. I haven't backed up my book in 3 months, since the DVD burner died. I've never backed up the 3 other WIP'S ( small but hey) EVER.

3 Months of my husbands accounts are on there.

Every saved game for the last ooooh two years?

EVERYTHING!!!!

I'll admit, I was worried there for a mo. But my husband is an IT genius for a living, he'll fix it right?

Hubby: It's screwed

Me: *Nervous breakdown*

Hubby ( looking scared) : Well OK. I'll try.

And here I am, 24 hours later with EVERY DOC SAVED BACK ON MY HARD DRIVE! And the accounts and saved games.

There is a god, and I married him. Oh yes. He's on a promise tonight!

And then the hubby says:

You could have backed it up on the server.

Me: We have a server to back stuff up on?

Hubby points at one of the dozen PC's (that all look alike) currantly littering my dining room, supposedly being fixed.

Hubby: That one. How could you not know? All my stuff's backed up on it.

I was going to be really grateful, until that point.

OK, I've got it out of my system now.

Move on, nothing to see here.

Williebee
01-12-2008, 02:57 AM
Hard drive possibilities
Floppy drive results.

bummer.

Glad you've got your stuff tho.

A couple bucks at big Mart or office supply of your choice gets you a jump drive and piece of mind.

:)

Mr Flibble
01-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Apprantly he assumed I was backing up on the server and my memory stick( uk version of jump drive I think) so never said anything . I never even knew we had a server! ( and my memory stick is full :()

Shadow_Ferret
01-12-2008, 03:10 AM
You have a server?

Perks
01-12-2008, 03:16 AM
It's great to post these stories, no matter the outcome. It makes people run for their pen drives and email and server backups.

I had a near-miss with ruin a couple of months ago when a misplaced cursor and an old digital camera ripped the 'MyDocuments' folder clean out of Windows. Every word I'd ever written and every photo I'd ever taken in the last seven years -- gone. It would have been quite expensive to recover and unlikely that it would have been entirely successful, according to the experts

Luckily my backups were reasonably up to date. I only lost a fews pics and a days worth of editing.

BACK UP YOUR STUFF, MY DARLINGS. YOU'LL BE SORRY IF YOU DON'T.

Fenika
01-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Now see, I just had a thread on this :) Hopefully this thread will reach those who did not see my saga...

Laptop is up and running, but I was not able to recover the 2 weeks of work. Very sad.

Cheers,
Christina

benbradley
01-12-2008, 06:49 AM
There is a god, and I married him. Oh yes. He's on a promise tonight!

And then the hubby says:

You could have backed it up on the server.
Uh oh. I can recognize this situation as soon as I see it, just not when I'm in it - a nerd is way too honest for his own good. If Dr. Peabody could set the Wayback Machine to a moment before he uttered that sentence, we here on AW could counsel him on what to say:

You know what honey, it would take no more than an hour [actually five minutes if he actually needed to do it, but why say that when he could get in some game-playing time] to set up one of these other computers as a server, and then I can show you how to back up things on that. How would you like that?
An hour and five minutes later, all is backed up on "new" server, and husband and wife go off to do husbandly-and-wifely thing.

Mr Flibble
01-12-2008, 01:23 PM
He wouldn't do that. Why?Apparantly it was funnier to see the look on my face.

I married a wind up merchant.