Help me, Spanish speakers!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know a Spanish phrase or slang for "tough girl?" Like a girl who is self assured and street-wise?

Nothing dirty, please, because I'll probably use it in my WIP and then look like an idiot.

Thanks.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Hmm, I don't know but I'm responding in case someone tells you to ask me. Voyager should know if she ever turns up. My hubby is at work so I can tell you later tonight or tomorrow. Sorry.

Good luck!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
chava or vata would work in my day--but that was sometime ago. i'll ask my chicanas when they come in after lunch. be warned this will be northen mexico slang. not cuban or puerto rican---s6

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
when i was in high school--granted it was 40 years ago--chava was pretty strong. i have been teaching a unit on the way things were in the past--to introduce the imperfect tense. one of our words is papel de carbon. cannot tell you how many times i have said 'papel de cabron" today! just trying to avoid it brings it to my lips. kind of like never assigning anything on page 69--s6

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I could always say "girl" in Spanish and have "tough" come from context. Is "chula" Spanish slang for "pretty girl?"

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

And yes, I'm feeling very white right about now.

Although I did know about "puta." I always think of it when I make puttanesca sauce.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Usually when I'd act tough as a kid my older brother, who did the lion's share of the parenting, would say something like, "Que brava, hija de tu chingada madre." The word you looking for in that lovely phrase would be brava. You could also use the word dura, but that means hard. Though brava's literal translation is brave, the word for tough, contumaz, is more for a difficult person rather than a person who is physically tough. Hope this helped. :D.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I could always say "girl" in Spanish and have "tough" come from context. Is "chula" Spanish slang for "pretty girl?"

"Chula" is cute ... "chuleta" is a pork chop (or a plump pretty girl)

chingar = to fuck (chinga tu madre is about as insulting as you can get in Mexican spanish) and it's often left out of the phrase. "hijo de la ___" often slurred into something that sounds like ee-whale-ah would be sort of a "son of a ...."

"brava" has a secondary meaning of wild and hard to handle, "una yegua brava" would be a hard to tame mare, for example

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
Brava or Bravo for a male is an adjective for getting angry- all worked up, ready to fight. Or hot-headed.
"No te pones brava" is don't get worked up or angry.
I heard the term Perdurada (as/os) used for the street kids in Caracas, Venezuela It comes from Perdurar which means to endure. I thought that was creative of them.
Callejeras/os is homeless people.