Is there such a thing?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I am not sure where to post this...as it's just about someone I was meant to be working for but ...*bleep...long story*

Does anyone know, if you can be a Federal Attorney without first passing the bar exam on a state level?

Thanks to anyone who might know.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I don't have any DIRECT knowledge, but recently the 'child' of a friend finished law school and interviewed for several positions. One was a Federal position - they loved her, but wouldn't actually take her until she'd had two years at the state level under her belt.

kalel32

Registered
Reaction score
I think you have to be licensed in a state, which means you have to pass the Bar.

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
You need to be licensed. Take a bar exam for a state, and then there's a separate application (not an exam) to be admitted to that federal district. It's often (at least for me) just a question of filling out another form and paying a fee. After three years of admission to any bar you can apply for admission to the supreme court bar.

Even if you want to be a JAG you have to first pass a state bar, any state bar, even though you will only be practicing for the military.

Taking a state bar exam is what virtually every law student does the summer after law school. There would be almost no reason why someone where the situation of someone getting an opportunity to be a federal attorney without taking a bar exam.

Bear in mind that in reality most big-firm lawyers end up "practicing" law for several months before they are admitted to bar, government too. There are also ways to argue in Court without being admitted first (think Legally Blonde). But these all involve direct supervision of a senior attorney who puts their seal of approval and their name on your work.

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
You need to be licensed. Take a bar exam for a state, and then there's a separate application (not an exam) to be admitted to that federal district. It's often (at least for me) just a question of filling out another form and paying a fee. After three years of admission to any bar you can apply for admission to the supreme court bar.

Even if you want to be a JAG you have to first pass a state bar, any state bar, even though you will only be practicing for the military.

Taking a state bar exam is what virtually every law student does the summer after law school. There would be almost no reason why someone where the situation of someone getting an opportunity to be a federal attorney without taking a bar exam.

Bear in mind that in reality most big-firm lawyers end up "practicing" law for several months before they are admitted to bar, government too. There are also ways to argue in Court without being admitted first (think Legally Blonde). But these all involve direct supervision of a senior attorney who puts their seal of approval and their name on your work.
Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to know. This guy is claiming that he refuses to play the game of taking the state bar as he doesn't want states to have jurisdiction over him AND he say he's take the "federal bar" exam instead of the state.

There are some serious issues surrounding his claims that I am not at liberty to go into. Suffice it to say, I really am grateful for the info. I have a client who needs to know this.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a con artist to me or someone with a lot to hide (so frequently the case in trumped up importance). Puma

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to know. This guy is claiming that he refuses to play the game of taking the state bar as he doesn't want states to have jurisdiction over him AND he say he's take the "federal bar" exam instead of the state.

There are some serious issues surrounding his claims that I am not at liberty to go into. Suffice it to say, I really am grateful for the info. I have a client who needs to know this.

I didn't realize that this was an actual person. I thought it was for a story.

I am not familiar with the requirements of every federal district. If he is working for a law firm that only does federal work, he may be able to sit for the federal exam in that district and not the state. Which state is he in and where will he be practicing?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realize that this was an actual person. I thought it was for a story.

I am not familiar with the requirements of every federal district. If he is working for a law firm that only does federal work, he may be able to sit for the federal exam in that district and not the state. Which state is he in and where will he be practicing?
He claims he has a law degree but never took the bar exam. We are in Utah. He also claims that he is a reverend of the International Institute of Lymphology. He goes around helping doctors set up "ministries". I told him it was nothing but a tax shelter and a bad one at that and he starts telling me how I must understand things and not to prejudge.

Well, I do understand.

He also claims to be a Psychologist. He's setting things things up...charging massive amounts of money and then off he goes. I came in on the scene as a new employee for medical clinic and withint a week removed myself as an employee and took up an outside consultant's position. Every day I have this inward argument as to when I will stop helping the doctor. But for 2007's books I have him doing things according to the law. The ministry isn't up and running.

I keep trying to expose this guy but he insists I don't understand that he can practice law in federal court and be a federal attorney without passing the state bar. Well, I did research, so far all I can determine is that anyone can represent themselves in a federal or state court without passing the state bar but they must be overseen by an actualy licensed attorney.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com

There is no "federal" bar exam. Sounds like a nutcase to me.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
There is no "federal" bar exam. Sounds like a nutcase to me.
I did a google on his name. If he's who I think he is..he's on probation as it is for 2 degree felony charges for selling securities without being a licensed broker.

He isn't a nutcase...he's a criminal. At least, that's how it's looking to me. At least in doing this research for my client, I am starting to form some pretty cool ideas for a murder mystery. :D