PDA

View Full Version : Holy Auntie Em, Batman! It's a twister!

Foinah
01-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Yup, woohoo! We had a bit of excitement in my little corner of the NW today.
An EF1 category tornado touched down in Vancouver, Washington at noon. Winds between 80-110 mph. Gnarly black funnel cloud and a swath of debris and destruction behind.
I live in Portland, aka Inebria, and was untouched. I did think the sudden blaze of hail stones and heavy rain out of nowhere was a bit odd, but weather here is like that. I had no idea Oz was swooping in ;)

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420ap_wa_vancouver_tornado.html?source=mypi

and our local coverage : http://www.katu.com/

Weee...I hope a house didn't drop on my sister.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-11-2008, 06:17 AM
Ooops. Sorry!

When I did the offering to Mother to send all the bad twisties away from Oklahoma, I didn't mean to send 'em to you! :D

Williebee
01-11-2008, 06:18 AM
aw man... They told me I could ride the next one.

nuts.

Oh, hey, My wife wants to know if you've seen her red shoes?

Chumplet
01-11-2008, 06:20 AM
That's pretty interesting so far west. We had a nasty twister between Toronto and Barrie about twenty years ago. It wiped out a lot of homes and destroyed a horse racetrack. We had little twisters in the last few years -- more like wind shears that took down trees and such.

SpookyWriter
01-11-2008, 06:24 AM
I didn't mean to send 'em to you! :DLiar liar pants of fire. :roll:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Can I help it if I really don't want 'em here? :)

Foinah
01-11-2008, 07:44 AM
I guess there was one in April of 1972 that did a bunch of damage. This one today was pretty wicked, though.
I must be an awful person -- I see the two mile path of destruction and I think to myself, "Wow...that's cool!" Um, it even took out a trailer park, too.

Power is still out for about 500 people in the area. I feel bad for the 50" diameter trees that went down. Does that count?

Oh, and OFG...no sweat. It hit Vancouver not my darling corner of Inebria ;)

wyntermoon
01-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Holy smokes! I know tornadoes can hit anywhere but I've never heard of one in that area. Well there goes my happy place, I was just getting over having them in Virginia and wishing for home in Oregon.

Shadow_Ferret
01-11-2008, 08:16 AM
We had a few F3s nearby on Tuesday.