PDA

View Full Version : A characteristic or character trait you and your...

ErylRavenwell
01-11-2008, 05:57 AM
What characteristic or character trait you and your protag share?

Mine would be photophobia. Although not as bad as my protag.

scarletpeaches
01-11-2008, 05:59 AM
Homicidal mania, bisexuality and the ability to morph into a cat.

Zelenka
01-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Anti-social behaviour and a pronounced dislike of spiders.

narnia
01-11-2008, 06:11 AM
An overactive imagination and a boring job.

Actually, I think her job is a lot less boring than mine, come to think of it .... :D

escritora
01-11-2008, 06:14 AM
we're both introverts

Fox The Cave
01-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Both me and Nick don't give a damn about what people think of us.

Hapax Legomenon
01-11-2008, 06:22 AM
We both view the process of writing a novel as epic.

Although, they probably think more epic than I do.

Madison
01-11-2008, 06:38 AM
we both fall for hunky guys.

...but unfortunately she seems to know more of them than I.

Shady Lane
01-11-2008, 06:40 AM
We're both snappy and like cellular biology.

Chasing the Horizon
01-11-2008, 06:58 AM
One character from my series has my love of big scary-looking bugs and another has my phobia of medical institutions (but also hates bugs, so isn't like me in that). Overall I have almost nothing in common with most of my MCs. I don't care for projecting myself into my stories (I'm not masochistic and I like to abuse my MCs to no end :D )

Claudia Gray
01-11-2008, 07:01 AM
We're both into classic movies and vintage clothes.

Shadow_Ferret
01-11-2008, 07:05 AM
My protag is me.

brokenfingers
01-11-2008, 07:08 AM
We both go about uncovering massive conspiracies and saving the world in just the nick of time.

Devil Ledbetter
01-11-2008, 07:14 AM
We share an almost complete inability to recall people's names until we know them very well. It factors into the plot.

Conman
01-11-2008, 07:15 AM
We both have green eyes. And that's about it.

sunna
01-11-2008, 07:21 AM
We both have an intense dislike of spiders, a strong preference for expediency over courtesy, are incapable of suffering fools gladly (or gracefully), and have terrible, terrible handwriting.

Oh, and we both look pretty badass in leather pants. :)

dragoon_elf
01-11-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm a dude and she's a she, but here goes

Traits my protagonist shares with me: Believer in romantic love, brown hair, Panamanian, movie lover (but I like comedies and she likes old ones), Pisces, Honey Smacks is the favorite cereal, and our first names start with the same "letter" ("L").

Traits she has but doesn't share with me: Far too innocent and not vulgar enough in everyday conversation, has a great fashion sense, dreams a lot, and probably a couple of other things but I've only written my novel 1/3rd of the way haha

ErylRavenwell
01-11-2008, 07:51 AM
One character from my series has my love of big scary-looking bugs

Same here. Aren't they fascinating? :D

scarletpeaches
01-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Okay, okay, I'll be honest now. Fern's looking for someone just like her so she feels less alone in the world.

Sad, huh?

Yeah, bite me. Or give me rep points.

JohnDavidPaxton
01-11-2008, 07:55 AM
We are both very well endowed.

ErylRavenwell
01-11-2008, 07:56 AM
and have terrible, terrible handwriting.

Haha. From a distance mine looks like arabic.

chevbrock
01-11-2008, 08:19 AM
We're both poor!

Death Wizard
01-11-2008, 08:23 AM
My MC is ten times better at everything than I'll ever be, but I'm his boss.

Harper K
01-11-2008, 08:36 AM
We both like watching Jeopardy!, drinking sucks-up-light-it's-so-black coffee, and seeing the world at 5 am. We occasionally lapse into foreign languages. We are compelled to watch The Godfather if it's showing on cable on a weekend morning. We're socially awkward, though sometimes we cover that well. And we're both vegetarians, though for entirely different reasons.

althrasher
01-11-2008, 08:37 AM
We're both very pale, and feel like we should take care of people.

TPCSWR
01-11-2008, 08:49 AM
We both love eccentrics and the strange but aren't (that) eccentric ourselves.

MelodyO
01-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Love this thread!

We're both short, cynical, and can't hold our booze. Now if I was just a 4000 year old angel, we'd be cooking with gas.

hermit authoress
01-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Whether it's a male or female character, we share two traits:

We're not one of the beautiful people.
We're trying to figure out who we are.

Polenth
01-11-2008, 09:39 AM
It depends on the story, but they're all people. I'm a person.

Except maybe that story from the point of view of a mountain, as the landscape isn't usually considered to be people. But mostly my characters have a head and can walk around.

JoNightshade
01-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Sam and I both have to force ourselves to reach out to other people since we're naturally introverted. We both have father-figure issues. We worry about what other people think too much. We read science fiction compulsively. We hate everything the world values and value strength gained by taking the "narrow road."

Oddsocks
01-11-2008, 09:47 AM
We're both difficult when confronted with what we see as pretentiousness (but I'm better at maintaining politeness than Anlay is, and furthermore, what he sees as pretentious (philosophy) is something I'm very much interested in. I wonder if my subconscious is trying to tell me something?)

Paichka
01-11-2008, 10:03 AM
I've four protags, and there's a piece of me in each of them.

Gwen and I are both athletic tomboys.

Maggie and I are total romantics, live in our imaginations and love to read and tell stories. Maggie's also got my red hair and blue eyes. She's a nicer version of me, to tell the truth.

Ilya and I both have nasty tempers and the mutant ability of having our motives completely understood by everyone else.

Tabby and I are both wildly self sufficient and suspicious of the motives of those around us.

stutteredtruth
01-11-2008, 09:08 PM
We're both trying to find our place in the world - except he doesn't have the luxury of remembering where he came from. He is my great great grandson.

DeadlyAccurate
01-11-2008, 09:54 PM
We're both short and have brown eyes, mostly because I was lazy and didn't want to keep looking up her eye color. We both have a rather cynical outlook on life and a negative opinion of religion in general.

Differences:

She's violent and more impulsive than I am
She hates cream cheese
She doesn't fear heights
She doesn't read
She has a rather loose moral code (understatement)

DonnaDuck
01-11-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't have all that much written of her but what I know is this, we're both Italian although she's moreso than I am and we both have families in New York. Like Horizon on the last page, I don't like inserting myself into my characters. I do like to beat them up but this one isn't going to get too much of a pounding.

Prawn
01-11-2008, 10:19 PM
We both like learning languages.

JustGo
01-11-2008, 10:40 PM
We've got the same hair color, eye color, and general physical figure (A bit overweight, but not too far). We hate being thrust into new situations without being able to prepare ourselves first. We have trouble connecting with people and are basically alone in the world, preferring to remain detached even from those we should be close to. A psychoanalyst would probably tell you that he, too, is an INTJ on Myers-Briggs.

He is a bit more mind-before-heart than me, though, and cares even less about other people. He's also a good horseback rider ;)

Elodie-Caroline
01-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Were both sarcastic and recluses.

Elodie

ChaosTitan
01-11-2008, 11:03 PM
My heroines always tend to have brown hair, same as me. They also tend to prefer wearing jeans (skirts make ass-kicking much harder) and boots (no heels, thank you).

Horsetales
01-11-2008, 11:06 PM
My MC is more or less me at 15. Hopeless with female company, insecure and hot tempered..........I got better, so will he!

Gray Rose
01-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Hmm, this is hard. Let's see.

We think we're lazy while everybody else thinks us crazy productive.
We read a lot, and enjoy fine writing implements.

That's about it.

Stormhawk
01-11-2008, 11:48 PM
About the only trait me and Stef share is a dislike of humanity as a whole.

C.bronco
01-11-2008, 11:50 PM
We are both always surprised when people are rude, and never have a comeback at the right time. We are wise-acres, and tend to become friends with other wise-acres.

triceretops
01-11-2008, 11:55 PM
We are both so damn shy and stupid around females that we can't tell when they're showing a definite interest. We almost lose them before we snap out of it, and the chase is on. We both like women who are nearly six-feet tall. What's up with that, anyway?

In the time of danger or conflict, we're right there pretty much before anybody else. Share explosive Scorpio tempers.

Always marry in the end.

Tri

reenkam
01-11-2008, 11:56 PM
We both like orange. And pumpkin pie. And pumpkin bread. And autumn. We both have glasses, too...but I never wear mine, and he always does.

DeleyanLee
01-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Hero: We both ask too damned many questions and are rarely happy with the answers we get.

Villain: We both think modern society is f'd up the ass and something needs to change before it breaks.

Esopha
01-12-2008, 12:04 AM
An overpowering urge to tell everyone what to do all the time, no matter if we're right or not, and an overpowering urge to be practical. All. The. Time.

It manifests in different ways, though.

johnzakour
01-12-2008, 12:09 AM
We both have acrophobia though mine is worse than his. Neither one of us like having guns or knives pointed at us either. Luckily it happens a lot more often to him than it does to me.

Pup
01-12-2008, 12:35 AM
The main character in my first-person WIP and I have almost exactly the same ability (or lack thereof) to tell a story in the format of a typical early-21st-century novel.

Which really bugs me because how does he know to do that? I had to practice and study, yet with barely any education and no interest in writing, he just says or thinks the words, and there it is.

imagoodgurl4
01-12-2008, 02:46 AM
Good thread!

Sara and I are:
- both live in the Boston area
- both somewhat manipulative, though she is far more than me.
- both suspicious of people.
- both have a desire to control the entire world around us, though mine is worse than hers
- and she suffers from an ED, which I did a few years ago.
Differences: She's blonde and short while I'm brown hair and tall and her eyes are green while mine are brown.

Jackson and I are
- both introverted,
- we hate people,
- quiet, we're extremely talkative when we're drunk.
- both suffer from bad tempers
- both have a fear of commitment.
- both like sex, though he's promiscuous and I'm not.
- both come across as a-holes, but deepdown we're kind-hearted.
Differences: He's a guy, he's been to prison, he has a kid, his hair is black and his eyes are blue.

WendyNYC
01-12-2008, 02:48 AM
We live similar lifestyles, but we have very different attitudes about it.

Mr Flibble
01-12-2008, 02:55 AM
The lust to melt peoples eyeball's if they annoy me.

I so wish I could do that!

TrickyFiction
01-12-2008, 02:57 AM
We both use horror for relaxation purposes.

vfury
01-12-2008, 02:59 AM
Cynicism, and a general dislike of people.

Also, we both tend to get mocked easily, lol.

KTC
01-12-2008, 03:08 AM
What characteristic or character trait you and your protag share?

Mine would be photophobia. Although not as bad as my protag.

My last FP main character skipped childhood. He found himself raising his younger brother when he himself was only 8-9 years old. He was very precocious...wise beyond his years. Just like me.

Nateskate
01-12-2008, 03:16 AM
Does it count if you interject your personality and flaws into a secondary character. Cartemay the Seer (See Imagines myspace.com/poetnate ) has many of my flaws.

The main character is a fifteen year old who I purposely didn't give my characteristics, because I was too wimpy as a kid to take the risks he does at the beginning of the story, which gets him into a mess.

Susan Lanigan
01-12-2008, 04:17 AM
Protagonist One is the opposite of me in almost every way, apart from a rather ample chest and a tendency towards insecurity.

Protagonist Two is at odds with social norms and niceties and often gets laughed at for it.

otterman
01-12-2008, 04:21 AM
We both converse with plants, animals, and water. Okay, I've tried it but I admit it's never really worked the way it does for my MC. I guess we really just share a deep connection with the natural world.

justme
01-12-2008, 05:13 AM
We're both sassy.

willietheshakes
01-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Well hung. And with the knowledge to use it to overwhelming effect...

Danger Jane
01-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Uh...we both have emotional/attachment issues?

(she's worse than me I think? I hope?)

Pantsonfire
01-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Alexis and I both have naughty mouths, we enjoy hiking. We are both five foot nothing and we both have a strange sense of humor.

Varthikes
01-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Like Varthikes, I'm curious about the physical world around me, and I'm sometimes considered odd--especially when I was in high school.

Like Audwin, I love dragons, and I talk to animals.

OverTheHills&FarAway
01-13-2008, 11:27 AM
We both like tea.

But he drinks Earl Grey and I only drink that when I run out of Breakfast Blend.

GerriB
01-13-2008, 11:51 AM
We're all stubborn as hell and have sarcastic senses of humor.

Yes, I have multiple characters. It's fun to make them all stubborn about different things. I get to have fun that way. They argue, and I grin like a maniac while working it all out.

rhymegirl
01-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Well, since my current WIP is an erotica novel, I better not answer this question.