• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

The Moon is here to stay ...

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if you read the old classic Science Fiction tales, in the distant future either the Moon has wandered out of orbit or has crashed into the Earth, so there's no Moon in the sky.

But the other night on History Channel, the science-daddy said that the Moon won't escape Earth's gravity for 50 billion years ... and obviously by then the Sun itself will have consumed both Earth and Moon (in about 5-10 billion years)

Did I hear that right? Because damn, I loved the idea of a lost Moon. Bit by bit, piece by piece ... they're robbing the Future of every last shred of glamour!

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you have to consider that these are the same people who predicted flying cars by the end of the century...

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Flying cars were always the most ridiculous thing. Imagine the drivers on the roads all around you today. It doesn't matter where you live. Would you really want those people piloting tonnes of steel in three dimensions instead of just two? At least now I'm safe from idiot drivers on the upper floors of buildings.

merper

Registered
Reaction score
Science is good at predicting physical phenomena like this moon thing, not so much the rate of human progress. Flying cars really need an advanced autonavigation system to be integrated into mainstream life. Now that tech is starting to arrive:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/08/27/gm-will-launch-self-driving-car-in-2008/

The next step is to find an alternate fuel source. Friction takes enough gallons per mile to overcome as is. If you want to lift the car up and down? Not gonna happen on oil.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
And if you watch the old movies about the Supercomputer that takes over the world etc ... an advanced computer is VERY BIG, with MANY FLASHING LIGHTS. And countless reels of magnetic tape spinning as the computer talks.

The computers should go tiny and personal, that was fantasy!

On the other hand, you watch SOYLENT GREEN and it's like ... what, they knew about the Greenhouse Effect etc THAT LONG AGO?

And we're still debating it and doing nothing about it TODAY? yeeesh

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
The Aptera doesn't fly, but it's close enough for me! I'm saving for the hybrid model. This beauty is a geek's wet dream!

They're supposed to use it in the next Trek film.

And the Popular Mechanics video report is quite fun.

aptera1.jpg

Last edited:

ReneC

Relapsed insomniac :(
Registered
Reaction score
Google "flying car" and hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Flying car that may or may not ever go into production, but it looks cool.

I've known about the Moller flying car since 1995 and I'm still waiting to see them in action. Legislation and public safety are the largest hurdles any flying car will have to get over before mass production can begin. Best if we just hook the damn things up to Google Earth and let the computer do the flying anyway. People scare me.

As for the moon, I'm sure a fair-sized chunk of rock could pulverize it for us. Maybe the moon will save the planet by taking one for the team. Of course, life on Earth without the moon could be pretty hairy.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
As for the moon, I'm sure a fair-sized chunk of rock could pulverize it for us. Maybe the moon will save the planet by taking one for the team. Of course, life on Earth without the moon could be pretty hairy.
The discussion in this thread may be of interest.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
yea, really big rock+moon equals dust, or a massively large moon that we orbit around... OH I JUST HAD AN IDEA FOR A STORY.

the moon due to having saved the earth from a large asteroid, has doubled in mass. but it increased so much that the earth now orbits the earth, and it drawing its atmosphere off. making the earth slowly uninhabitable.
not the spot i know but, where they hit they hit.

lpetrich

Registered
Reaction score
And if you watch the old movies about the Supercomputer that takes over the world etc ... an advanced computer is VERY BIG, with MANY FLASHING LIGHTS. And countless reels of magnetic tape spinning as the computer talks.
That's because it's visually interesting. A box that sits there and seemingly does nothing would not be.

In any case, it would take something very unusual to make the Moon wander away, like some other planet passing nearby. And crashing into the Earth would be even more improbable.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Can we at least have the "cracked in half" moon of Thundarr the Barbarian?

Revelationz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Re

Here's something no one has considered pertaining to the whole moon thing.

Okay, in 50 billion years itll be lost because there isn't enough gravitational attraction between the Earth and Moon.

But, the Earth's mass is constantly increasing with falling meteors and comets etc. What if in a billion years the Earth has enough mass to start pulling the moon back towards it?

Just an idea.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, in 50 billion years itll be lost because there isn't enough gravitational attraction between the Earth and Moon.

But, the Earth's mass is constantly increasing with falling meteors and comets etc. What if in a billion years the Earth has enough mass to start pulling the moon back towards it?

Gravity doesn't change, and the mass of the earth doesn't change much either (about a million tons a day, which is nothing, less than one percent of the earth's mass in a hundred trillion years). The moon's orbit is steadily increasing due to tidal interaction with the earth--the earth loses angular momentum and the moon gains exactly what the earth loses. A few billion years from now this exchange will stop. By then a month will be 47 days or so (and with this synchronous rotation, a "day" will also be 47 days). If there are still any oceans, the earth's rotation will continue to slow due to solar tides, and the moon will start moving closer again, giving angular momentum back to the earth. Probably before that happens, the sun will boil up into a red giant and swallow the earth and moon, putting an end to this little dance. Some think there's a slight chance the earth might escape, but it won't matter much, with no atmosphere, no oceans, and a surface of molten lava.

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Gravity doesn't change, and the mass of the earth doesn't change much either (about a million tons a day, which is nothing, less than one percent of the earth's mass in a hundred trillion years). The moon's orbit is steadily increasing due to tidal interaction with the earth--the earth loses angular momentum and the moon gains exactly what the earth loses. A few billion years from now this exchange will stop. By then a month will be 47 days or so (and with this synchronous rotation, a "day" will also be 47 days). If there are still any oceans, the earth's rotation will continue to slow due to solar tides, and the moon will start moving closer again, giving angular momentum back to the earth. Probably before that happens, the sun will boil up into a red giant and swallow the earth and moon, putting an end to this little dance. Some think there's a slight chance the earth might escape, but it won't matter much, with no atmosphere, no oceans, and a surface of molten lava.

I'm moving the day before that.