Where can I find Short Stories of Fantasy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynn avendar

Registered
Reaction score
I am inquiring for my 19 year old daughter who just joined the Army and needs some diversions. She has asked of me to find her short stories about "living forever" since she liked the series "Highlander" or movie-type stories like "Riddick". I'm afraid I'm a "duck out of water" when it comes to these types of stories for my favorite genre is Historical Romances. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

SFEley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.invisiblejames.com
lynn avendar said:
I am inquiring for my 19 year old daughter who just joined the Army and needs some diversions. She has asked of me to find her short stories about "living forever" since she liked the series "Highlander" or movie-type stories like "Riddick". I'm afraid I'm a "duck out of water" when it comes to these types of stories for my favorite genre is Historical Romances. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not aware of an anthology specifically about immortality (though that's not to say there isn't one). However, the Science Fiction & Fantasy section of any reasonably sized bookstore will have dozens of fantasy anthologies, including Year's Best compilations and anthologies on various themes. If you have trouble finding one, ask any of the bookstore staff for help; they love questions like this.

Another possibility might be to give her a subscription to a magazine that carries fantasy stories. The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction and Realms of Fantasy are both very good ones.

lynn avendar

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions. I will try to do that. I'm waiting for a letter back from her regarding books in the barracks. I'm sure they will but I need to make sure first. I also liked your idea of the magazine subscription. I think she would like that very much. Thank you again.

Anaparenna

Just Another Exquisite Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.conjurewords.com
I don't know what sort of internet access she might have, but she might like to check out various online ezines, which will give her free access to short stories in the SF&F genre, although I can't guarantee they're what she's looking for. Strange Horizons and SCIFICTION both come to mind.I also took a look on amazon, and found a whole series of Highlander books that she might like. Just typed in "Highlander." Couple of used copies of those might make a nice care package for her. :)

If you get more info from her, you're welcome to PM me here. I have lots of suggestions for various scenarios.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
There used to be a website out there that listed fantasy and sci-fi books by subject, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know what I'm talking about. I found tons of great books there. I'm certain it had a whole section dedicated to immortality.

Anaparenna

Just Another Exquisite Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.conjurewords.com
There used to be a website out there that listed fantasy and sci-fi books by subject, but I can't find it anywhere.

I found this one: http://books.ratatosk.org/ which has a keyword search feature, however it seems a bit limited.

Quite a few popped up when I googled "fantasy book archives" and "fantasy book database."

lynn avendar

Registered
Reaction score
She has no access to computers at this stage of training and I don't know when she will have. I will try the books section that y'all have guided me too. I appreciate the in-put. This is her first time at being away from home for so long and I'm trying to make it easier for her. Thank you again, everyone.

lynn avendar

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Ella. I subscribed to it and we shall see if she likes the stories and possibly the articles too. I appreciate you telling me about it. And I will make sure she knows how kindly you all have been.

lynn avendar

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Galoot for sharing that site. Not sure if that is what she is looking for but will ask her in my next letter. She will be surprised by all the info I have been gathering from all of you wonderful people. :)

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Anaparenna said:
I found this one: http://books.ratatosk.org/ which has a keyword search feature, however it seems a bit limited.

Quite a few popped up when I googled "fantasy book archives" and "fantasy book database."

Hmmm. I think it's gone. This list had 1,000s upon 1,000s of books. It was really cool. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.