one massive tome or split into duology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
the very first book i ever wrote was called 'preyers.' someday, i plan on cleaning it up and shopping it around, but because of its size, i'm unsure what to do with it at this exact moment. a very rough estimation of it has it coming out to be around 900 pages, no possibility of sequels (God destroys the world in the end, so...).

in terms of what an editor would want to do, would he want to split it up or make one fairly hefty read out of it?

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
well, assuming i'd edit 200 pages out of it, that would leave a rather awkward split to me. about halfway through, there *is* a part i could split from, though i'd rather keep it a single book. seeing as how these larger books have been done before, is that completely out of the realm of reason to want it kept that way?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
700 pages is still a very, very long book, especially for a first novel. It'd better be EXTRAORDINARY for any sane publisher to want to take it on... that's my opinion, of course.

Ivonia

Zodiac Fleet Commander
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd probably chop that book into two books, as I'm one of those types that balks at 600+ pg books (not that I'm against them, but I do hate lugging them around).

And if the book does do well, it'd be better to have a 2nd book ready, so that you can give people another story. That's what I'm currently trying to do with my novel, although I'm trying to make it in such a way that it can stand by itself if needed (but I am hinting at many ties for a sequel and possible prequel later, but that depends on how well the first book does).

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
i'm not sure about the word count, as i calculated it terms of space used. the story itself is rather stuck in 'office pro' or something like that, and i haven't bothered bothering my wife to switch it into a WP i can actual access. just been lazy about it because, as mentioned, few sane editors would take it on as a first book.

sure, i'd like the royalties, but i honestly would prefer this to be one big book. personally, i hate breaking things up just for money's sake. if money was my sole motivation, i'd strip, lol. i also know that big books still get made. sometimes. wasn't terry brooks' first novel something like 900 pages ('elfstones of shanara' or something like that?). and that book was very, very, very average as i recall (typical tolkein rip-off). another problem i have with fantasy, which is one reason i stopped reading it way back when, is because i knew half of what i was reading was bullsiht, padding to make me buy a trilogy when one good-sized book would have sufficed more than adequately. i'm willing to shell out a few more bucks for a hefty book, and it makes me wonder how much of a drop-off from book one to book two there is in sales. quite a bit, it would seem, else why do it?

i hate to think what a modern editor would want to do to the bible. 'yeah, we like the story, but we're going to split it into four books because we think we could maximize sales that way. so, between individual books, we need them to have, like, 'endings' or cliffhangers so the reader wants to read the next episode.' (okay, i haven't written the next bible here, just trying to make a point.)

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Put it into any free word processing program that creates rtfs.

Edit it.

Do a word count, both literally and editorially (there are great links to show you how to do this and I can't find a one at the moment!).

If you still find yourself with more than a 500 page book, look for natural breaks and see if you can split it at least once, if not twice.

Send it to your beta reader/critique pals.

Edit some more. See if you can make the first part an open-ended stand-alone.

Start querying on the first part.

Second version:

Write a best-seller.

Then get your publisher to release this one as one big tome.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Ella

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sumptuosity.blogspot.com
The 'new' size wanted by publishers is 100,000 - 120,000 words. If your pages are singlespaced, you're looking at about 450-500 words per page.

I've heard many stories of rejection due to size alone. Especially now, as the push is on by the big bookstore chains to order smaller books: more fit on the shelves, they are an easier read, and cost a few dollars less.
If your story is that long, and it's a hard split, maybe even three books is an option. It may take some reworking, but your better chances of publication might be worth it.

Good luck!

Ella

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
thanks. nah, i don't think the split would be especially difficult to do. around the middle of the book, one of the two protagonists arrives at the city of God, so, yeah, that's pretty easy to end the first book with. just don't want to. :)

Jonathon Michaels

The Elvis of Webmasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.raggededgepublishing.com
I'd have to go along with the consensus of dividing it. But since you keep saying you don't want to, I wonder if maybe I misunderstood your question.

Obviously if you're dead-set against dividing the book you wouldn't have asked whether to or not, so I'm lost. Help?

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
you're right, i'd like to keep it one book if possible. the question was about what editorial direction a publisher would want to go and if it were possible to, ah, get my way on this. true, i'd like the extra money i suppose it'd get if divided, but, honestly, i doubt it would such a significant amount (since money isn't the reason i wake up every day, there needs to be a pretty sizable chunk of it to influence me one way or another-- i'm not above being bought or bribed, but i do feel it pays to give a reader their money's worth :)).

Status
Not open for further replies.