PDA

View Full Version : Tablet computer biased against profanity!

JoNightshade
01-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Recently I got a shiny new fujitsu tablet laptop (ooo!), so I've of course been enjoying the novelty of being able to write outlines and such directly on the screen. So far I've been really impressed with its ability to recognize my illegible scrawls and turn them into text.

With a few exceptions - namely, profanity. I'm not even talking about serious swearing here.

For example, yesterday I was making a brief outline. I wrote "Sam is pissed off." Apparently this translates to "Sam is passed off." If I write the word alone, out of context, I get "pilled."

As a little experiment, I tried the f-word, which it reads as "to in" or "rock." Swear words which also have non-offensive meanings, however, do read correctly (like bitch or damn).

So anyway, what's the deal with this? The creators of whatever online dictionary it's using didn't see the functionality of including bad language? It may not be PC, but it's certainly a part of having a computer that meets my needs.

I almost want to call this a kind of passive censorship, because every time I use something vulgar (not that this is often, but... in principle), it annoys me by forcing me to call up the letter-by-letter entry and fill it out.

scarletpeaches
01-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Oh great. Now there's another writerly toy I want...

I could teach it to say, "Bastard!"

Mind you, that's a 'proper' word, in context.

JoNightshade
01-10-2008, 11:58 PM
SP, yes, you do want one. :) In spite of this one quirk, it really is quite wonderful. :) My other problem with the writing recognition is that all of my "ing" endings are just a generic scrawl (they should make another letter for that combination, it's so common).

The other interesting thing I've discovered in the short time I've been using this is that I am much, much briefer when I write by hand than when I type stuff up. Mentally somehow I condense things if I'm writing it longhand. Whereas I find it almost impossible to be breif when I'm typing. Sooooo, yeah, using the tablet to write an outline is a good thing.

donroc
01-11-2008, 12:05 AM
You can use it in the bars where they are banning profanities.

www.donaldmichaelplatt.com

RumpleTumbler
01-11-2008, 12:11 AM
You can teach most dictionaries words. See if you have the option.

maestrowork
01-11-2008, 12:20 AM
I think my default Windows Tablet don't include the swear words... but you can certainly train it and add to the dictionary. Same with the Blackberry. I have to add to the dictionary for it to recognize these words. That makes sending email to my exes so much easier.

Shadow_Ferret
01-11-2008, 12:24 AM
A tablet? What is it? Like an electronic pad of paper? You write on the screen with a stylus like you would with pen and paper and it translates it to some form of electronic data?

No keyboard?

JoNightshade
01-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Shadow, it's like a regular laptop but then you can spin the screen around and lay it flat over the keyboard, concealing it so that only the screen shows. Then you use it just like a notebook, with a little pen writing on the screen.

And teaching it words... yes, I will have to play with this. But that would require me poking at things and I am just beginning to figure out how the whole thing functions to begin with. So perhaps in a week or two. :)

scarletpeaches
01-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Does it know 'arse'? What about 'wanksplat'?

Hours of fun!

Maryn
01-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Me and Shadow Ferret are still doing our writing on a flat wooden shovel with charcoal, right? But by God, some day one of us will be president!

Maryn, with the same questions

Jaycinth
01-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Me and Shadow Ferret are still doing our writing on a flat wooden shovel with charcoal, right? But by God, some day one of us will be president!

Maryn, with the same questions

Vote the WRITE way in 2012

Maryn and Shadow Ferret in the White House!