PDA

View Full Version : Lose weight while you write!!!

jennifer75
01-10-2008, 05:14 AM
http://www.newsweek.com/id/84433?GT1=10755

dancingandflying
01-10-2008, 05:16 AM
that's complete bull. i eat whatever i can reach when i write and i'm not burning any calories, unless you count my fingers typing. sorry, but that seems...

INCONCEIVABLE!

Perks
01-10-2008, 05:19 AM
I don't know about the psychological effect, but I when I get on a writing roll, I burn up so many calories that I usually need an extra meal.

I am not kidding.

Joycecwilliams
01-10-2008, 07:09 AM
I have lost weight while writing my Nano project. I was so involved with my story I didn't think about food. I also didn't think about smoking. My hands and mind were constantly occuppied so I was never bored.

eek_a_snake
01-10-2008, 01:55 PM
It makes sense purely from a mechanical standpoint. It's hard to convey food to your mouth while you are using your hands to write. It also makes sense for people that eat out of boredom; any creative pursuit would help that though, not just writing.

Cassiopeia
01-10-2008, 02:05 PM
From an emotional stand point, it does help to write out your feelings rather than to stuff them away with food.

zenwriter
01-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't know... I like some of Cameron's books, but this seems a little wacky to me. Thanks for sharing the link, though.

clockwork
01-10-2008, 02:30 PM
before I ate, I asked myself four questions: Am I really hungry? Is this what I want to eat? Is this what I want to eat now? Is there anything I can eat instead?

By the time I got to the second question, there was already a bagel in my mouth.

Bmwhtly
01-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I do eat less when I'm on a real writing roll. Just because I'm not thinking about food.

The downside is that I'm not often on a roll.
The upside is that the same is also true when playing video games :)

Bartholomew
01-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Her argument seems to be that obsession burns calories.

eek_a_snake
01-10-2008, 04:06 PM
I thought it was that self-exploration burns calories.

Well, I guess some kinds do.

jennifer75
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I personally drink more when I write.....not just booze either. Water, juice, coffee, and booze. I don't understand why. But what ever works....one thing I don't do is eat though. I type, fast, and I get annoyed enough as it is if I have to take my hands from the keyboard to answer the phone let alone a bagel.

truelyana
01-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Doesn't mel, have something similiar to this in her blog?

truelyana
01-10-2008, 08:21 PM
melaniehoo, unless it was my imagination? what i have of it anyway.

jennifer75
01-10-2008, 08:21 PM
I don't know, I don't visit her blog nearly enough.

jennifer75
01-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey, we're advertising her blog for her, she should pay us. Read MelanieHoooooooooooooooos blog!

NeuroFizz
01-10-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm working on the taking-a-shit diet. If I weigh myself before taking a dump, then again after, I lose a pound or two--IN JUST TEN MINUTES! Now, I just have to think up some psychobabble to convince people that they can shit several times a day by mental power alone, and I'll be in the millions. Of course, one would have to eat more to crap more, but I could slip that one by them with a carefully crafted diet of prunes and refried beans...

Writer2011
01-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Well I for one CAN'T go without food because i'm diabetic. But loosing weight while writing...I'm not so sure about that :)

Celia Cyanide
01-10-2008, 08:32 PM
From an emotional stand point, it does help to write out your feelings rather than to stuff them away with food.

Yeah, it sounds like this would work for people who do stress eating and emotional eating.

scarletpeaches
01-10-2008, 08:35 PM

I prefer to stuff my face with cake. Why, only last night I polished off an entire chocolate Swiss roll.

Ask poetinahat. I PM'd him to say, "*burp*" at him! :D

Her argument seems to be that obsession burns calories.

Not if you're obsessed with food...;)

I thought it was that self-exploration burns calories.

Well, I guess some kinds do.

My favourite kind does. :D

BenPanced
01-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I chair dance while writing because I listen to the radio or some CDs. Does that count?

ZannaPerry
01-10-2008, 08:37 PM
they also say you can lose weight as you sleep....and if that were the case I would be as thin as my finger! But on a regular basis, food hardly sounds good to me BECAUSE of my writing and everything running through my head that I forget to eat. It's not healthy, either, I can tell you that right now. I don't want to end up going down that stick-figure road.....can't and won't go there but I won't eat unless I'm hungry.

And I can understand what people mean about losing weight while you write....because that's all your doing is writing not eating.

Writer2011
01-10-2008, 08:37 PM
I chair dance while writing because I listen to the radio or some CDs. Does that count?

Why not :)

Shadow_Ferret
01-10-2008, 09:32 PM
It makes sense purely from a mechanical standpoint. It's hard to convey food to your mouth while you are using your hands to write. It also makes sense for people that eat out of boredom; any creative pursuit would help that though, not just writing.Um. Handwriting in a journal (which is what she is suggesting) requires only one hand to write.

The other is still free to stuff my face with twinkies, ho-hos, ding-dongs, and susie-qs.

Mystic Blossom
01-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Whenever I engage in any activity that takes up time and my complete interest, I always tend to eat less. In fact, I've been known to skip meals without meaning to. This theory can be applied to anything you're passionate about. If you're busy thinking about something else, your mind isn't focused on eating.

Shadow_Ferret
01-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Whenever I engage in any activity that takes up time and my complete interest, I always tend to eat less. In fact, I've been known to skip meals without meaning to. This theory can be applied to anything you're passionate about. If you're busy thinking about something else, your mind isn't focused on eating.

I'm the opposite. I snack endlessly. There's always a bag of pretzels or something by the computer. When I stop to think about the next scene or thing on a line, I automatically start munching.

That's why I think this woman's diet plan is so much hooey.

scarletpeaches
01-10-2008, 09:57 PM

Or, like me, you could be using calories through brain power and need more food.

I'm always snacking. God knows where I put it all, but I eat constantly.

I think I must have worms.

Or else a very fast metabolism.

NeuroFizz
01-10-2008, 10:02 PM
One thing seems to escape people who come up with things like this: Diets are supposed to promote good health first and weight loss second. If writing is so stressful it results in weight loss, won't you look good, all author-like, in your coffin? If skipping meals results from writing jags, maybe soon we won't be able to tell the difference (in appearance) between a muse-whore and a crack/meth-whore.