Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
Today I had a chance to speak to a patient at the dental office I work at, who also happens to be a writer with his first novel coming out this summer. He had some advice for me, and I was just looking to get everyone's opinion on it.

I told him I've beensubmitting to a publishing house that normally requires an agent, but through a fluke received a contact, and his advice was actually to stop looking for an agent as long as I have the opportunity to submit to the publisher, and instead, get a contract lawyer. Would anyone else recommend holding off on agent searches in this situation, or can an agent still help, especially with such an iffy chance I'll actually be accepted.

He also suggested hiring a professional editor, but I don't have that much money right now, so I'd probably have to borrow from my parents, and the cost could run upwards of a thousand dollars. Is it worth it, or can I get the same quality of editing from a beta reader who's been found on the forum or tracked down from one of my writing classes?

Thanks for any discussions/advice!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you want an agent, then keep looking for one. If an editor has requested a full from you, tell them that. If you've got an editor who said "send me the next thing you write", mention that too. Those are good things that agents want to know. But if you want an agent, you should keep going for one regardless of other advice. You have to make those decisions for yourself. It's your career.

Professional editors are still a luxury at this stage of the game, to my experience. Most of my multi-published friends don't use them, FWIW. Do the best you can with what you have available--that's all you can ever do.

Best of luck.

chartreuse

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Well, my personal opinion (and I've not yet had a novel published, so take it with a huge grain of salt) is that it couldn't hurt to submit it directly to the publisher if you've got the opening. If they've okayed you doing that, I don't think they would look negatively upon you not having an agent.

I do think that in this scenario a contract lawyer is a good idea (obviously, one that is familiar with the publishing industry) but you would need to familiarize yourself with what kind of deals are standard for your particular kind of novel - the lawyer probably won't know that - and you want to make sure you're being treated fairly.

I've also heard of some folks snagging a publisher's interest and then using that to seal the deal with an agent. At that point, it's practically free money for the agent.

Mystic Blossom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Literary agents, AFAIK, know bookish contract law. If you get a contract lawyer, make sure they know laws on books and not, say, construction. Or even film. Publishing is its own legal beast.

That's partially what I've been thinking. I know it's easier to get an agent once you have a publishing deal anyway.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I'd go for the agent. A contract lawyer who actually knows his stuff would probably cost at least as much as an agent's commission, and with an agent, you get a relationship and advice that count for much more.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Until you have a publishing contract in hand, keep looking. And even if you have a contract, having an agent would help.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He also suggested hiring a professional editor, but I don't have that much money right now, so I'd probably have to borrow from my parents, and the cost could run upwards of a thousand dollars. Is it worth it, or can I get the same quality of editing from a beta reader who's been found on the forum or tracked down from one of my writing classes?
Hard to say if you'd get the same quality of editing from other sources. It's entirely possible since there are good and bad 'pro' editors just as there are good and bad beta readers.

Mind you, a thousand bucks is an awful lot of money to pay when even if you get a deal, odds are it won't be for huge wads of cash. Personally, I'd rather work hard at learning to self edit and find a good agent who will help whip the book into shape. Between yourself and your agent, you might do just as much good for your book as a for-hire editor.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'd go for the agent. I'd think about it as more than just this one book, but all the books you will ever write. I mean, I want someone who will manage all that stuff, know the business, and be my advocate. You won't get that type of relationship or attention from a contract lawyer.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
Never take advice from anyone whose first book is coming out soon. They're in the Danger Zone that generally runs from Book #1 to about Book #10.

You start out by thinking you know pretty much everything (because you did, after all, sell a book in a tough business), only to eventually realize you don't know shit.

Take advice from those of us who don't know shit. We may not be definitive, but we're also not likely to steer you in the wrong direction. :D

And get an agent.

A literary attorney will be able to tell you which publisher contract clauses "favor the publisher" or are outright egregious, but he or she won't offer to go to bat and fight to change those.

An agent will. And most agents are either experienced with publisher contract language, or else have the contract vetted by a literary attorney on their own dime. (It really doesn't cost much, by the way, to have a literary attorney go over a standard publishing contract. Usually a few hundred bucks.)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
And as ever, Agents do far more than just look over contracts.

Exactly. I was thinking as I read the OP, "Would a contract lawyer have mentioned that the ending of my book would be better if the romance part was left open-ended? Would a contract lawyer have suggested that a minor character be a little more fleshed out in his first scene?"

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Agent.

I also wouldn't recommend getting a professional editor either. You'll have to do the dirty work yourself some day -- might as well learn how now.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Great opportunity to get an agent. You have a contract, select a small group of agents who are reputable, on your "wish list", and accepting new clients, contact them, explain the situation, ask if they would be interested in representing you.

Mystic Blossom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think he thought the lawyer would be handy for the agent's contracts, but I feel like at that point, you're just adding to a long tab of things that aren't really necessary.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I think he thought the lawyer would be handy for the agent's contracts, but I feel like at that point, you're just adding to a long tab of things that aren't really necessary.

If you sign with a reputable agency, chances are the contract is going to be pretty standard. You can probably run the details through a few folks at AW and they will tell you if everything checks out.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
If they are a reputable publishing house, they'll probably recommend you get an agent if they want to buy.

Really? That's quite a generalization. I know of a number of "reputable" publishing houses who buy from unagented authors.

An editor at Avon this summer repeated that a bad agent is far worse than no agent, and that they happily work with unagented authors.

Harlequin has loads of unagented authors from whom they regularly buy novels.

That said, if you are going to be your own agent, you'd better DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Know what's considered "normal," what things you're more likely to be able to negotiate, etc.

Elaine English out of DC is a well-known literary attorny. I've known a number of authors who've used her to go over contracts for them. She is also a "full service" agent as well.

Susan G.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Use your contact, and if the Publisher likes the manuscript and tells you so, then you might well need an Agent. With an interested publisher, that shouldn't be too hard. What happens next? See what the Agent says.

My two -penneth. Good luck.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
If you've got an offer from a publishing house, you're going to be much more attractive to agents than 90% of the other queries.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Being a cynical b*tch, I wonder who his book is coming out with? Vanity? Real publisher? I'm always a little skeptical of anyone who recommends a professional editor. But that's just me.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Being a cynical b*tch, I wonder who his book is coming out with? Vanity? Real publisher? I'm always a little skeptical of anyone who recommends a professional editor. But that's just me.

I know of at least one very reputable SF/F publisher who does no copy edits on their books. It's totally the author's responsibility (and costs) to take care of that detail for their books. Good reason to be skeptical, but not a guarantee that it's not a reputable publisher.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
I know of at least one very reputable SF/F publisher who does no copy edits on their books. It's totally the author's responsibility (and costs) to take care of that detail for their books. Good reason to be skeptical, but not a guarantee that it's not a reputable publisher.

Want to name them? Because I'm more than a little dubious that any reputable publisher wouldn't take care of copy editing.

None of the ones I know of consider that the author's responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.