PDA

View Full Version : Today's Rant

Shadow_Ferret
01-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Rant 1: Yesterday it rained cats and dogs and a few other vertebrate animals. Our mailman, who we have established is an idiot, I can't ever recall receiving so much mishandled mail in my entire life as I get from this guy. We get our neighbors mail, we get mail from people with the same address but blocks away, we even get people's mail who we can't figure out how he screwed it up.

But anyway, my wife belongs to a book club. Sometimes she forgets to send back the little slip saying "don't send anything." Usually not a problem, we write "Refused" and send it back.

Well, its kind of hard to write refused when the rain has turned the cardboard packaging to a soggy mess and ruined the books! What kind of idiot sets a package on the porch in the rain?

Rant 2: Today, I'm driving my kids to school. I'm in the left lane. There's a truck in the right lane about a car length and a half in front of me. This green van flies up into that space and zooms over nearly hitting me. He then flies ahead and drives through a yellow light. Actually, it was yellow until he got to the point where he should have stopped, and then it turned red. So legally or illegally, he went through a red light.

I hate people who think they are so important that they put everyone else's lives in jeopardy. What really steams me is that his driver's side mirror was pushed in so he couldn't even use it. Did he just guess when he was past me? It didn't seem like he had enough time to look to see if he was clear of me while at the same time making sure he didn't slam into the rear end of the truck.

/rants over.

What is your Today's Rant?

MidnightMuse
01-09-2008, 09:13 PM
See my blog, I'm fuming mad, sick to my stomach, and scared to death.

Other than that - so it's raining there? My Seahawks like playing football in the rain. They like beating down the Packers in the rain. I'm gonna curl up with a bottle of Rum and cheer them on this Saturday :D

reigningcatsndogs
01-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Rant 1: Yesterday it rained cats and dogs

No rant, especially after getting star billing in yours! Thanks!:D

Hope your day gets better

not to nit-pick , but its 'reign'. ;)

ETA: I did my rant yesterday.

Devil Ledbetter
01-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I'll put in a rant against people with Bluetooth hands-free ear phones who never. shut. up. Listen up, obnoxious ear-phonophiles: nobody is impressed with your ability to charge some piece of technology on your credit card and stuff it in your ear. It doesn't make you look Important. Nothing is more grating than your non-stop monologue about the Chai latte you just ordered and how long it took you to drop your wartlings off at preschool and what time you went to bed last night.

Just shut up!

Joycecwilliams
01-09-2008, 09:43 PM
My rant today is Forwarded Emails.

I hate getting all the stupid jokes, plus whoever does it NEVER uses the BCC and all the world gets your email including SPAMMERS.

If I feel like I need a joke... I will find one.
If I want to remember the good old days.... I will.
If I want to find out stuff about politians... I will do that also...

Thanks for the vent...

mscelina
01-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Let's see: rant du jour...

Okay, try to do line edits on your son-to-be-released second novel when you're trapped in invalid hell...in someone else's house. Right now, I'm staying out at my in-laws to help while my FIL recovers from two open-heart surgeries in a week. My younger daughter is now laid up on the couch with a fractured tibial plateau and patella (leg and kneecap) and whill probably have to have surgery (oh, fare thee well, savings account!). I'm trying to get all sorts of promo work, editing, work, and writing work done in this atmosphere while supporting my slightly frazzled mother-in-law. What is the worst thing about this lovely set-up for disaster, you ask?

My father in law has a bell.

Shadow_Ferret
01-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Other than that - so it's raining there? My Seahawks like playing football in the rain. They like beating down the Packers in the rain. I'm gonna curl up with a bottle of Rum and cheer them on this Saturday :D

WAS raining. Expecting to change to snow. And Green Bay is 120 miles north of here. Expected high on Saturday of 27.

MidnightMuse
01-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Expected high on Saturday of 27.

Honey Buns, I'm wound so tight right now, I could jog up/over there and wup that whole team myself, without shoulder pads!

nerds
01-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I'll put in a rant against people with Bluetooth hands-free ear phones who never. shut. up. Listen up, obnoxious ear-phonophiles: nobody is impressed with your ability to charge some piece of technology on your credit card and stuff it in your ear. It doesn't make you look Important. Nothing is more grating than your non-stop monologue about the Chai latte you just ordered and how long it took you to drop your wartlings off at preschool and what time you went to bed last night.

Just shut up!

Yes. All of it. Cell phones, Bluetooth, I don't care what it is. How self-important have people become. I'm old enough to remember when the TELEPHONE was a SINGLE ITEM in the home in a special place of its own, your feet got cold on the floor going to answer it in the night, nighttime calls meant Bad News, and in general its ringing was considered an intrusion, not a thrill. When you EXCUSED yourself from talking to an actual person in front of you to take an important call, but mostly you just didn't take the call BECAUSE IT IS RUDE.

Just shut up is right, Jiminy Christmas. blahblahblahblah, yaketyyak, and it's 99% blather.

Have you seen the harried men now? Anyone? They can't win. If they'd rather not carry a turned-on phone it's Well honey, why not? Hmmmm? And then the men are at the store on their way home from work and now the cellphone's on their ear and it's "Yes, I'm here, yes, okay, I won't forget, yup, okay, right, okay, yup, I'll be right home okay yupyup bye."

omfg.

do they not have anything in the house? WTF is so urgent all the time?

DeleyanLee
01-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Rant mode on: bean-counter bosses.

So, my daughter is sent to the ER from her university student health center for suspected appendicitis. I get a frantic call from her about 9PM and I'm pretty much on the phone with her until 1:30ish in the morning. I live an hour away, but once we got to talking, she stopped panicking and didn't want me to drive in. She's admitted to the hospital. I happen to work across the street and down the hill from this hospital. She needs a couple of things, which I bring to work. I start work at 8, visiting hours start at 9.

The boss insisted I punch out for the time I went up to drop things off to her (all of about 20 minutes, total) so she could dock my pay.

Nope, my offer of staying later than 20 minutes to make up the time wasn't good enough. She won't even let me work 20 extra minutes so I still get in a full 8 hours today. It has to come out of my pay because my daughter got admitted into the hospital unexpectedly.

And for various other reasons (half the rest of the staff being sicker than dogs on top of the lack of sleep and overabundance of worry), I'm feeling nasty sick now. But her system doesn't register all my time-off (I checked) while mine does (I checked) so I know if I try to take off early to A) take my kid home and B) give myself some much needed rest, I'm going to get hell-to-pay about not having time to cover it when I bloody well do.

I hate bean counting bosses. There's few things I hate more than heartless, policy-spouting, bean counting bosses.

I should go up and sneeze in her face. I really should. Maybe I will, but she probably has immunity to common human diseases.

Rant mode off.

Shadow_Ferret
01-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Have you seen the harried men now? Anyone? They can't win. If they'd rather not carry a turned-on phone it's Well honey, why not? Hmmmm? And then the men are at the store on their way home from work and now the cellphone's on their ear and it's "Yes, I'm here, yes, okay, I won't forget, yup, okay, right, okay, yup, I'll be right home okay yupyup bye."

No kidding. And back then phone conversations were private! It was rude to eavesdrop on a phonecon unless it was at Christmas and everyone in the room was wishing Aunt Berta, who couldn't be there, a Merry Christmas.

And yet people now talk everywhere in public and carry on all sorts of animated conversations that years ago you'd hold in a tiny soundproof room so no one could hear you shouting. Or hear about all manner of personal problems.

StoryG27
01-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Hey Ferret, if I was flying by so fast, how'd you even see my driver's side mirror?

Er, um, I mean, what idiot would do that!?!?!
:D

My rant:
I went to the doctor today and got an unexpected diagnosis. Very bummed (nothing life threatening), hoping they're wrong, and trying to deal with the fact they might be right.

Shadow_Ferret
01-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Hey Ferret, if I was flying by so fast, how'd you even see my driver's side mirror?

Er, um, I mean, what idiot would do that!?!?!
:D

Because I was trying to see what an idiot looks like, but couldn't. :tongue

StoryG27
01-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Because I was trying to see what an idiot looks like, but couldn't. :tongue
Oh, then you saw the mirror and figured it out. :tongue:tongue

Siddow
01-09-2008, 11:34 PM
What kind of idiot sets a package on the porch in the rain?

We don't live anywhere near each other, but I swear we've got the same mailman. Mine put a GIFT to my SON on top of our trashcan! We almost threw it out...hubby assumed I put the box there, I assumed he had...it was out there for two days, in the rain!

DeleyanLee
01-09-2008, 11:46 PM
We don't live anywhere near each other, but I swear we've got the same mailman. Mine put a GIFT to my SON on top of our trashcan! We almost threw it out...hubby assumed I put the box there, I assumed he had...it was out there for two days, in the rain!

Then there was the UPS guy who unlocked the back gate and put the package in the shed at the back of the property rather than put it on the snowy porch. Took us until spring to find it because the UPS records said it was delivered to the back porch--which there wasn't one on that house.

Though there was the UPS guy (don't know if it was the same Einstein or not) who delivered a gift box of sausage and cheese to the back porch of the half-built house next door because he couldn't figure out the difference between 889 (occupied) and 899 (under construction). Lemme tell you, the coons had fun with that mistake.

Reminds me of an old saying: "Are you naturally a moron, or are you working at it?"

benbradley
01-10-2008, 12:08 AM
But anyway, my wife belongs to a book club. Sometimes she forgets to send back the little slip saying "don't send anything." Usually not a problem, we write "Refused" and send it back.

Well, its kind of hard to write refused when the rain has turned the cardboard packaging to a soggy mess and ruined the books! What kind of idiot sets a package on the porch in the rain?
Who sends a book in the mail without some sort of protection from the rain? I've sold books through Amazon and sent books through Paperbackswap and I ALWAYS seal them in a ziplock (or similar off-brand) food baggie. It's a very small cost when compared to USPS Media Mail shipping a book (Note: small MMPB's are often cheaper first class!) already costs to send in the mail.

Devil Ledbetter
01-10-2008, 12:19 AM
No kidding. And back then phone conversations were private! It was rude to eavesdrop on a phonecon unless it was at Christmas and everyone in the room was wishing Aunt Berta, who couldn't be there, a Merry Christmas.

And yet people now talk everywhere in public and carry on all sorts of animated conversations that years ago you'd hold in a tiny soundproof room so no one could hear you shouting. Or hear about all manner of personal problems.Yep. But "eavesdrop" connotes that the third-party listener actually wants to hear the conversation. If only that were the case.

Last time I took my WIP to the coffee shop to work without the distractions of home, some nitwit sitting 10 feet away from me yammered on her Bluetooth the entire time. There was some pleasant music playing, but after about 20 minutes of non-stop nattering I gave up and blasted Neil Young through my MP3 player just to drown her out.

And the nitwit was talking about nothing, absolutely nothing.

Even worse, she was sitting with two other people, making them listen to that blather!

I've seen the harried men too. There is this non-stop narrative people do that is just weird:

Yeah. I'm standing in line and Meijers. Uh-huh. No. Twenty-six degrees this morning. It's cold today. I know. Yeah. I'm just standing here. Yeah, I got the Pull-ups. She did? I bought Pepsi. It was on sale. 12-pack for 3.99. Did you want me to get one carton of eggs or two? I got one. Shoot. Well, I'm not going back now but maybe after I drop him off at soccer practice. Yeah. Oh? I'm parked kind of far out. Did you balance the checkbook? Oh good. I stopped for coffee at McDonald's. There were like 10 cars in the drive-thru. I know. So I'm sitting there and you know what the guy on the radio said? No, not that guy, the other guy. Oh, you know the one? Umm. So yeah, there's one person in line in front of me. About 10 minutes. Maybe 15. So, did I tell you I got coffee at McDonalds? Yeah. There were at least ten cars in front of me. Oh that's right, we were on the phone then too. Yeah, okay. I'm putting the stuff on the conveyer belt now. I'm putting the orange juice on. Now I'm putting the milk on. Bread. Batteries. Uh-huh. Gum...

Ah, the good old days when the phone as attached to the wall, and the handset was attached to a cord, and if you wanted to call someone while you were out, you had to use a pay phone.

nerds
01-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Yup.

melaniehoo
01-10-2008, 12:28 AM
My rant today is also in my blog. It's basically about a person who sent me an anonymous email because they know how I should run my life better than me. Fricking arsehole.

Shadow_Ferret
01-10-2008, 01:23 AM
I remember I was at the store one time and there was a guy in the aisle talking on his cell to his wife about the products in that aisle, maybe the Rice-a-Roni or something.

I continued on until I went into the next aisle, and there was his wife, swear to god!, on her phone talking to him. I knew it was her because she was still telling him which brand of whatever it was to get.

Who sends a book in the mail without some sort of protection from the rain? I've sold books through Amazon and sent books through Paperbackswap and I ALWAYS seal them in a ziplock (or similar off-brand) food baggie. It's a very small cost when compared to USPS Media Mail shipping a book (Note: small MMPB's are often cheaper first class!) already costs to send in the mail.
Book clubs. They all come in a flimsy one-ply cardboard container, easily crushed and damaged enroute.

SpookyWriter
01-10-2008, 04:18 AM
I remember I was at the store one time and there was a guy in the aisle talking on his cell to my wife about the products in that aisle, maybe the Rice-a-Roni or something.
Now that would be reason enough to rant.

quickWit
01-10-2008, 04:29 AM
My rant today is also in my blog. It's basically about a person who sent me an anonymous email because they know how I should run my life better than me. Fricking arsehole.

Hey, mel, if you don't want my advice just say so.

But you really should be a little more vigilant about your work ethic.

JoNightshade
01-10-2008, 04:43 AM
Oh! I've got a rant. I live in an apartment complex where each apartment gets a covered parking space. These spaces are quite wide. Now, I have a Civic Hybrid, and the people in the spot next to ours have a Prius. Both of these are small cars.

Okay, got the setup?

So a couple of days ago, my husband gets a call from our complex office. They inform him that the Prius owners complained to them because WE PARK TOO CLOSE TO THEIR SPOT. I'm the one who drives the car, so this is all on me.

Okay, so let's say that I park exactly ON THE LINE on their side. Their spot is STILL big enough for them to park easily and get out.

This is not the case. At the very closest, I park at least a full foot ON MY SIDE OF THE LINE. I park a little closer to their side than to the other side because there is a big metal pole on the other side, but I'm still nowhere near their precious Prius.

Not only is their complaint completely absurd-- I can park however I want as long as I'm in my spot, thank you very much-- why the heck did they feel the need to go to the office for this? Like it's on our "record?" Why not just leave a note on the windshield, or, heck... MAYBE TALK TO US?

tjwriter
01-10-2008, 04:59 AM
This whole thread reminds me of the time a college-looking dude about sideswiped me going down the (NOT!) Expressway (this spawns a whole other rant) because he was too busy texting to drive. I really wanted to shove his phone up his arse.

Give me some time, Ed. I got lots of rants stored up in me.