Iraq War desert experiences

RylenolFlu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a film based on the current Iraq war. Specifically, it's about a squad of soldiers and their interaction with a neighborhood in Nasiriyyah. I'm wondering if there any vets or current soldiers that wouldn't mind telling some stories about getting lost in the desert. My first scene is a soldier trudging through the desert looking for his men during a sandstorm. Much appreciated, thank you.
Sincerely,
Ryan

SupplyDragon

I am the Car'a'carn
Registered
Reaction score
Oh boy, can I tell you some stories.

Never been lost on foot though. Most important for this is why is your character alone? NO ONE and I mean NO ONE patrols alone in Iraq - and when they do the patrols they always have comms...

Not to mention that while I was there almost all of us had a GPS. Either the crappy ones the Army gives you, or one that we bought ourselves. It is an interesting opening though. I'm assuming that your going to work it as they came under attack and got seperated?

Try to set the story between June and August. That is the hottest time over there and most likely to produce the sand-storm your hoping for. They dont happen all the time. Most of the time its clear skys, but once the temp get past 130 or so the winds kick up and thats when you get the really big ones.

And, for the record, the really bad sand storms SUCK... A LOT... You can't see worth a damn, you can't breathe worth a damn, and sand gets into everything. Weapons malfunction, you feel like your being rubbed with sandpaper... you get the idea.

Now, throw in the fact that Nasiriyah was one of the sights for mass graves its gives you something nasty to work in....

What else. Oh, dont forget about IEDs. They are far more common in crowded areas and along major roadways, but can be anywhere. Hope this helps! Any more questions, just let me know.