PDA

View Full Version : Sales: copies per month

Fresie
01-09-2008, 01:53 AM
Hello all,

A foreign friend asked for my help with a query for a big US publishing house. His how-to picture books are selling quite well in his own country; he gave me all the sales/print run figures but I'm not sure whether quoting them in the query is a good idea! :Shrug: What if the editor just laughs at them? All the books are in print, he's got print runs of 10,000 to 60,000 and sales averaging 600 copies a month. Is it too little? Will they laugh at him?

Thank you!

Fresie

Noob
01-09-2008, 02:01 AM
It all depends on the contry i guess.
For a small country like i live in (Norway), he would been a bestseller if books sold 600 copies every month.

For a book to be a bestseller in small Norway, it need to sell 5000 hardback copies.

Fresie
01-09-2008, 02:05 AM
Oh, I should have said it was Russia -- so it should be quite comparable to the USA sales wise. For Russia, print runs of 250,000 are quite normal.

I would think, it's all right to have a print run of 10,000 to 60,000; it's the 600 copies a month that worry me. ;) Maybe a big house won't even get interested?

aka eraser
01-09-2008, 04:32 AM
I don't think many publishers would sneer at those numbers - especially if they were sustained over the long haul. All the large publishers have smaller imprints and one of them could be a good fit.

Good luck to both of you.

Fresie
01-10-2008, 02:19 AM
I don't think many publishers would sneer at those numbers - especially if they were sustained over the long haul. All the large publishers have smaller imprints and one of them could be a good fit.

Good luck to both of you.

Oh thanks, what a good idea! In fact, they do have an imprint that fits just right. So I'd better contact them, then.

Thanks a lot!!!!:)

Lauri B
01-15-2008, 01:59 AM
Those numbers are definitely worth including in a pitch. Absolutely.

Fresie
01-15-2008, 11:48 PM

Thank you very much, Nomad. I will do so.

PinkUnicorn
01-16-2008, 09:55 PM

I have to say I agree with normad on this one. 600 a month is a good steady average. Many books will sell say a 1,000 the first month, than 200 the next month, and than 1 or 2 copies a week for the next 3 months before it goes out of print. So to say that you are selling a good steady amount of books, month after month after month, can only help you pitch it to a bigger publisher, because they'll see that you have a proven track record.

Fresie
01-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks, EelKat! Now I feel much better. The guy's got nothing to be ashamed of.:)

scope
04-05-2008, 05:09 AM
There's always one in the crowd, right? Hell, it might as well be me!

I wouldn't mention the number of copies sold in a query letter unless it was overwhelming or a bestselling book. To a mid to large size traditional publisher sales of 600 copies per month is just about enough to keep the book in print - certainly nothing more. I think you would be better off stating the titles of some of his books, the publisher, and saying something like this and all of his books have sold extremely well in Russia.

gettingby
04-05-2008, 05:14 AM
I agree with what Scope said. Mention the books selling and you think they would also do well here. Peek their interest and get into the numbers post-query conversation. But good luck.