PDA

View Full Version : The Best Series you Never saw!!! HBO's The Wire. Do you know of any others???

dgiharris
01-09-2008, 12:04 AM
I stumbled onto HBO's "The Wire" last year and was blown away.

The show transcends any crime-drama to date. Thanks to 'On Demand', I was able to watch all four seasons in a couple of months and am eagerly awaiting the next Season.

But the revelation of this show made me sad. To think I almost missed this masterpiece of a show. Why hadn't the critics said anything. A quick google search revealed that ALL the critics universally love this show and feel that it is a travesty that it hasn't won any major awards.

So this got me thinking. What other shows have slipped through the cracks? What other gems are out there?

And I'm not talking about a 'good' show or 'funny' show or 'cool' show.
I'm talking about a genre defining-landmark-genius-work-of-art- how-could-I-have-ever-lived-without-watching-this type of show.

Because that is what the Wire is. How many "Wire's" are out there?

Mel

Fox The Cave
01-09-2008, 06:08 AM
Two words:

Veronica Mars.

Crappy premise, brilliant show. Totally, totally brilliant.

Spiny Norman
01-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Odd, because I just started watching the Wire as well.

You had better not be the reason why the next three discs are at "short wait" on Blockbuster.com.

The reason why it gets such little attention from audiences is that you actually have to watch the show from the beginning. The plot is extremely intricate and single episodes offer little closure. That and it's not exactly a yippie-skippy aren't-we-having-fun show.

kristin724
01-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Try David Simon's first series, based on his book

Homicide: Life on the Street My entire family is now addicted.

K

NikeeGoddess
01-09-2008, 09:20 AM
and if you haven't seen Dexter... then you're really missing some good stuff

Fox The Cave
01-10-2008, 07:11 AM
What's Dexter about?

ChaosTitan
01-10-2008, 07:15 AM
I keep hearing great things about The Wire. I think it's next on my list of shows to rent. Sounds like something I'd love.

Another HBO gem: Oz.

katiemac
01-10-2008, 07:16 AM
I'd like to rent The Wire, also. It's on the list behind Firefly and The Tudors.

NikeeGoddess
01-10-2008, 07:23 AM
What's Dexter about?
a serial killer who kills serial killers. and you love him.
check it out for yourself
http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/home.do?source=shocom_nav
and here:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dexter&search=Search
the "doakes montage" is my fav

PattiTheWicked
01-10-2008, 07:39 AM
1. Firefly
2. The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.
3. My So-Called Life

All lasted only one season. I own 1 and 2 on dvd, and 3 is in my Blockbuster queue. I don't watch regular tv anymore, except Ghost Hunters and Dirty Jobs.

Noob
01-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Wire is great!

I have all bought all the wire seson's.
+I buy all good action and sci-fi series i can find, so living room is filling up here. :)

Takvah
01-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Dexter... what a great show. Go to Blockbuster and rent the first season.

Oh and while you're there... grab Battlestar Galactica too. It's not anything like the Lorne Greene version of some of our (we of quickly approaching middle-agedom) youth. It's well done across the board.

dgiharris
01-11-2008, 07:32 AM
I loved Battlestar Galactica until they started to go too far into the metaphysical. Problem with mixing sci-fi with the metaphysical is that it is easy to start falling into plot holes. Granted, it can be done, but it is just hard to do it well.

Battlestar is good though, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as the wire. :(

But I will check out Dexter, that sounds like it is worth it.

Another Series (though it only lasted 2 seasons) was the Dave Chappel Show Uncensored. Dear god, I laughed so hard I almost had a stroke.

Mel

NikeeGoddess
01-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Another Series (though it only lasted 2 seasons) was the Dave Chappel Show Uncensored. Dear god, I laughed so hard I almost had a stroke.you got that right

but have you seen Drawn Together? it's like a x-rated version of South Park!!!
http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/drawn_together/index.jhtml

chevbrock
01-11-2008, 09:39 AM
A little Aussie Cop show called East West 101

dgiharris
01-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I've seen a couple of episodes of Drawn Together.

One was so so,

the other almost killed me with laughter. THe one where the Super Hero caught the Villian who was sick, the Villian tricked the hero into washing his (the Villian's) balls. That was the craziest f-ing show. I almost lost consciousness, literally got tunnel vision.

But I still think southpark is funnier.

Mel...

Tedium
01-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Dexter, Firefly, Arrested Development, The Office(BBC), Twin Peaks, Trailer Park Boys, Weeds.

That's all I've got at this ungodly hour.

katiemac
01-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Ah, Arrested Development. Love it.

Fox The Cave
01-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Another Ricky Gervais BBC Comedy: Extras.

Hillarious. I find myself randomly laughing at lines from it.

"Chubby little fat man!"

katiemac
01-12-2008, 12:02 AM

Yes! I've only seen a couple episodes, and a couple scenes on YouTube, but I want to see the whole thing.

Another great series: Flight of the Conchords.

IHeartWriting
01-12-2008, 12:11 AM
LIFE -- I missed the first few episodes when they aired. I keep hoping NBC will rerun them.

Autodidact
01-12-2008, 12:17 AM
No one's mentioned Six Feet Under yet? My favorite thing on T.V. so far. Great writing, great acting.

Spiny Norman
01-12-2008, 02:25 AM
Can't go wrong with 30 Rock. There's a reason it got an Emmy. In fact, there's a whole lot of reasons, and they're all really good ones.

Watch it.

...when it comes back on. :(

NikeeGoddess
01-12-2008, 04:29 AM
The Minor Accomplishment of Jackie Woodman
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815847/
not too many tv shows about wannabe screenwriters - this one is hilarious

cethklein
01-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Sifl & Olly

David Erlewine
01-15-2008, 04:32 PM

Hillarious. I find myself randomly laughing at lines from it.

"Chubby little fat man!"

One of the funniest scenes ever. I've watched it about 30 times. The look on Bowie's face as he goes from "sympathetic listener" to song writer is classic. I hope when I retire in 30 years I still have a sense of humor enough to appreciate watching this scene at least once a week (day?) until they put me in the ground.

BarbaraKE
01-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Babylon 5. I didn't watch it when it was on television because it wasn't available in my area but got hooked when it came out on DVD.

Bmwhtly
01-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Deadwood's a pretty good HBO show. Maybe even better than pretty good.

MrWrite
01-18-2008, 03:08 AM
Everyone goes on about the Sopranos but I've never seen a single episode so I guess that counts

maxmordon
01-18-2008, 06:18 AM
I love Lucy and Twilight Zone in my opinion

Mjollnir13
01-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Two words:

Veronica Mars.

Crappy premise, brilliant show. Totally, totally brilliant.

I would have to second this. VM is a great show...too bad it's gone.:cry:

I've never seen The Sopranos...don't really have a desire to. I do want to see The Wire and Deadwood.

MrWrite
01-19-2008, 06:04 AM
I love Lucy and Twilight Zone in my opinion

Do you mean you never saw I Love Lucy? I love that show. And the Honeymooners too.

maxmordon
01-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Do you mean you never saw I Love Lucy? I love that show. And the Hneymooners too.

Not until quite recently (last year) also this happened to me with Married With Children

MrWrite
01-19-2008, 07:05 AM
I hadn't seen the Honeymooners until last year. We have the complete show on dvd now and also we are just one season away from having the complete Lucy. Actually we have that last season on order so should have it in a few days

dgiharris
01-21-2008, 12:10 AM
I Love Lucy was soooo ahead of its time. Given the context, you can easily argue it is the best sit-com ever since it was part of the birth of the modern day sit-com.

Married with Children is the show that help make the Fox Network. Married with Children, and Living Color put Fox on the map. When I was growing up, EVERYBODY watched those shows, you weren't cool unless you could rehash the episodes next day.

Too bad Fox screwed over the actors, they were paid in crackers and water... Very low salaries for the value they brought to the network.

Hillary
01-21-2008, 03:47 AM
Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!
And I also love Dead Like Me.

clockwork
01-21-2008, 04:14 AM
Wonderfalls (http://www.amazon.com/Wonderfalls-Complete-Michael-Lehmann/dp/B0006GAO18/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1200874475&sr=8-1) - pure surrealistic joy.

"The most hilarious show you've never seen."

zahra
01-24-2008, 02:52 AM
Two British shows that should have had a much wider audience: 'Bodies' (medical) 'North Square' (legal). Both of them just had so much BALLS! Not like the wimpy, girly TV UK seems addicted to these days. All those f****ing bonnets and stupid minty women having affairs.

Sorry. Rant over.

So, yeah. 'Bodies' and 'North Square'.

chevbrock
01-25-2008, 04:49 PM
My fave pommy show at the moment is "Shameless".

zahra
01-28-2008, 03:25 AM
My fave pommy show at the moment is "Shameless".
Loved Shameless but not the same without...oops, nearly did a spoiler there....

spiralout
01-28-2008, 06:38 PM
I've definitely gotta agree with Arrested Development and Six Feet Under.

clockwork
01-28-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm almost finished with the second season of The Wire. It's easily one of the best television series of the last quarter century.

mikeland
01-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Sports Night
Freaks and Geeks

Two shows I didn't watch that everyone says I should have. Oh well.