PDA

View Full Version : Redroom -- Author Networking Site

rugcat
01-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Here's an article (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/08/DDD9U9GHI.DTL)from the San Francisco Chronicle about a new author networking site, touted as a sort of MySpace for authors.

It's an interesting idea.

jchines
01-08-2008, 11:44 PM
I applied. I'll be curious to see more about the site. Not that I needed one more online time sink...

Shadow_Ferret
01-08-2008, 11:49 PM
I thought that's what AW was for.

I went and looked at it and was going to sign up but then I wondered if I should sign up as my real writerly name or as shadow ferret.

Additionally, since I'm not a published author, will I stick out like a sore ugly bruised and puss-filled thumb?

Will Lavender
01-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks for this, John. I signed up. Not sure if it will do much good promotion-wise, but there are some pretty huge authors with pages there.

aka eraser
01-09-2008, 12:22 AM
The cynic in me says it's Yet Another Display Site, albeit this one seems to have deeper start-up pockets than most.

Let's see: Writers get to join for free! Plus they get a web page and blog! And they can network!

And the owner and backers and advertisers get to make millions of dollars!

What's wrong with this picture?

Will Lavender
01-09-2008, 12:29 AM
The cynic in me says it's Yet Another Display Site, albeit this one seems to have deeper start-up pockets than most.

Let's see: Writers get to join for free! Plus they get a web page and blog! And they can network!

Good point.

Yet, I wonder if the same could have been said about MySpace when it first went up. (Not that this site will ever reach the ginormous level of that site, but it still must've been a novel concept to begin a place where there was no discernible profit.)

However, I do think the idea of "networking" is a bit misleading. What it basically is, it looks like to me, is a place for "promotion." And this is what makes it different than MySpace, I guess, because in that world people friend each other and communicate and link back and forth. What made MySpace such a hotbed of cyberaction, apart from the teenage element, was the fact that one could listen to a band, link up with them, find their tour dates, friend them, talk to them on the Web, etc. I'm not sure that kind of social interaction is going to happen on a site by authors, for authors. Looks like the application of the site will be the solitary attempt to sell one's own books.

Shadow_Ferret
01-09-2008, 12:30 AM

Nothing?

Sassee
01-09-2008, 07:26 PM
They give money to charity too, or so says Amy Tan.

I signed up as "Sassee" but they do require you to fill in a real name as well.

triceretops
01-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Where do you go to sign up? Link? Gak, I think I belong to a dozen display sites as it is.

Tri

Shadow_Ferret
01-09-2008, 08:30 PM
The article gave the url, redroom.com, which oddly enough I was able to get to yesterday but today my company's firewall is denying access.

Strange.

jenngreenleaf
01-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I can't keep track of the many, many sites I've ventured on to . . . only to abandone because I don't have time to update them all. :) So, I just play on here while multi-tasking. If it is, in fact, a sort of MySpace for authors, though . . . I might just ditch MySpace all-together and head over there.