palindromes

mum23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hownottobeastepmum.blogspot.com
Just as there is a word for a name that reads the same way forwards and backwards (palindromes), like Hannah, is there a word for someone who has the same initial for first and surnames like Robert redford? I've googled it but found it unhelpful. My character has trouble with his letter "R's" and both his first and surname start with an "R".

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Dang it SP, you beat me to it. So I'll just remark on how ironic it is that the word "palindrome" isn't a palindrome. How hard would that have been?

Reaction score
You don't have to; if you tell the reader his name, they'll know it's alliterative, although they might not know the word 'alliterative'.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with SP. I suppose you could say "he had the alliterative name of ___ ___," but that seems obvious to one who knows what "alliterative" means and clunky to one who doesn't.

LIVIN

Registered
Reaction score
From the Cursory Desk of this Man

His name was Leon Lopes and he was a writer, so he obviously was aware of the alliteration of his name. What a cruel joke, considering he had trouble pronouncing words beginning with the letter "L."

Leon Lopes was a writer who fancied alliteration. Perhaps he enjoyed the tortorous reminder that he had trouble pronouncing his own name; or perhaps he was mocking the God that gave him not one, but two names that he had trouble pronouncing - since they both begin with the letter "L."

Reaction score
The first man's introduction to Eve was a palindrome.

"Madam, I'm Adam."

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Weird Al has a song called Bob that is entirely made of palindromes.

It's great.

On topic: I don't think it's necessary to pin a name on the repeated R. Readers can see it for themselves, and the fact that the MC has a hard time with R's will make it all the more obvious.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
'hannah is a palindrome'--a story in my daughter hannah's gradeschool reader. she is 35 now but when she was in kindergarten she never knew when to stop writing her name. her papers read HANNAHANNAHANNAH across the top. till she ran out of paper- never thought of it when i named her--s6

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Just as there is a word for a name that reads the same way forwards and backwards (palindromes), like Hannah, is there a word for someone who has the same initial for first and surnames like Robert redford? I've googled it but found it unhelpful. My character has trouble with his letter "R's" and both his first and surname start with an "R".

A comicbook character? Leads Ledson, Peter Parker, Otto Octavius, Betty Brant, J. Jonah Jameson, Gears Grayson, Vicky Vale, Reed Richards...

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
alliteration: Use of the same consonant at the beginning of each stressed syllable in a line*of*verse
assonance: The repetition of similar vowels in the stressed syllables of successive words.
Ambigrams: read the same upside down, and when viewed in the mirror.