Status
Not open for further replies.

oneidii

Copyediting Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenkblom.com
How long is too long for a synopsis to send to agents/publishers? Mine is 1.5 pages (YA Adult) and I am worried it is too long. Should I condense it? Please help. ;( Thanks

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
Considering an editor's workload, short is often better than long, but you need to know that you "got the job done." If you feel your synopsis is consise and exactly says what you want to say, I would probably not try to cut it. Ultimately what is important is that you make your book sound solid and that you show it in its best light.

A page is ideal but a page and a half is only too long if it rambles, contains fat, or doesn't show the work in the best manner.

gran

Zolah

Over the hills and far away
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoemarriott.com
My YA books have been between 50-70,000 words long and each one had a synopsis of about four pages (single spaced). The synopsis I just wrote for a 35,000 book for 8-12 year olds was three and a half pages. Mostly editors are just relieved that you didn't dump the full ms on them, I think. If they're intrigued by your synopsis, they're going to be happy to get a little extra detail. If they're not intrigued, they're going to reject it no matter what length it is.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
oneidii said:
How long is too long for a synopsis to send to agents/publishers? Mine is 1.5 pages (YA Adult) and I am worried it is too long. Should I condense it? Please help. ;( Thanks

Some want a one page synopsis, some five pages. But most don’t say what they want, so I’m tempted to start sending out both.

katiebug57

Registered
Reaction score
Synopsis length reply

I read an article online just yesterday about synopsis length and children's lit. The author (duly published) recommended that the length be determined by how complicated the plot was.

Hence, the more complicated the plot, the longer the synopsis; however, this author also recommended no more than two pages.

Hope that helps,
Katiebug

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
oneidii may be the one who asked the question, but I've picked up some awesome pointers. Thanks! I've heard of the 1-2 page requirement and I've also heard of the 5 page requirement. Now, if only I can write the silly thing without adding too much fluff or leaving the agent/publisher guessing. (From what I read, they don't like that)

~Sonarbabe~

Status
Not open for further replies.