Name of info page in published book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I believe that I have heard a special name used for the page in the book that has the Library of Congress information on it, but I don't know what it is. Can anyone in publishing help me out here?

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not in publishing, but I've always heard that called the copyright page, because the copyright statement is always on it. It usually has other 'pertinent info' such as publication year and the printing number (as encoded in the 'number line'), Library of Congress number, and the ISBN. If it's a book club edition, the book title and copyright statement with author's name, and maybe the publisher's name might be the only things on it.

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
When I worked in the library (I'm not a professional librarian, but I did some book cataloging for a private school library) we called that the copyright page. And what you're referring to as "Library of Congress information" is "CIP data". (CIP=Cataloging in Publication)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
In modern books it's generally called the "copyright page."

Among antiquarian booksellers, it's called "page facing title" or "page opposite title."

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
The ISBD (a reference work for cataloguers) seems to refer to it sometimes as a 'colophon', but I thought that was specifically an endnote on the typeface and printing.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The ISBD (a reference work for cataloguers) seems to refer to it sometimes as a 'colophon', but I thought that was specifically an endnote on the typeface and printing.

A colophon can be on the page opposite title. But usually not.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Colophon was want I was thinking of, but copyright page more accurately describes this particular situation. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.