PDA

View Full Version : "the insider" should have won best picture

Icarus Iscariot
01-08-2008, 07:37 AM
it was released the same year as "american beauty". if you'd asked me in 2000 (i think that's the correct year) i would have voted for "american beauty" w/o hesitation. it's a good movie, don't get me wrong. however, "the insider" is close to flawless. one of the few movies that gets better-not just more entertaining-each time you watch it. and now i'm leaving to smoke a cigarette. good day to you!

maestrowork
01-08-2008, 07:59 AM
And I think Russell Crowe did a better job in it than in Gladiator. I think they gave him that Oscar to atone for the Insider (although, I must amend that Kevin Spacey was exceptional in American Beauty).

ChaosTitan
01-08-2008, 09:12 AM
I still think LA Confidential was robbed of its Best Picture Oscar by that big boat movie. ;)

Icarus Iscariot
01-08-2008, 09:12 AM
i agree. it's a little like denzel washington winning best actor for his performance in "training day". if there exists a worse denzel washington movie than "training day", i'm unaware of it. i consider the movie to be more of a comedy than anything else.
"this $h!t ain't checkers, it's chess!" & "king kong ain't got nothing on me!" -- 2 of the unintentionally funny movie quotes of all time.

Mjollnir13
01-08-2008, 10:52 AM
And I think Russell Crowe did a better job in it than in Gladiator. I think they gave him that Oscar to atone for the Insider (although, I must amend that Kevin Spacey was exceptional in American Beauty).

I think that too. Crowe deserved it for The Insider.

I also thought Shawshank should've got best picture over Forrest Gump...Although I do love Gump, Shawshank was just an incredible movie.

maestrowork
01-08-2008, 02:07 PM
And many people thought the same about Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. Both are good films, but perhaps Ryan was a bit too violent for the Academy.

ChaosTitan
01-09-2008, 05:02 AM
It makes me wonder how close those vote tallies are.

scarletpeaches
01-09-2008, 05:04 AM
Hmm...a bloated Russelll Crowe, or Kevin Spacey jacking off in the shower...?

I know which gets my vote!

PattiTheWicked
01-09-2008, 05:33 AM
Russell Crowe is hot even when he's pudgy. Hell, in "Mystery Alaska," he's pudgy AND he has a beard, but he's still the sexiest thing ever.

scarletpeaches
01-09-2008, 05:37 AM
I don't think I would, you know.

Then again, he gets extra manpoints for being an Aussie.

But, his initials aren't JP...

NikeeGoddess
01-09-2008, 09:33 AM
there are millions of opinions about all of these nominations. that's why they have the People's Choice Awards

maestrowork
01-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah, People's Choice Awards also give them to Britney Spears and Linsay Lohan and Paris Hilton... People know best, right? ;)