How long before the hero and heroine meet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
I've been told that the cardinal rule is that the meeting of the primary couple needs to be quick like a bunny, but in my first-time Victorian gothic romance novel. it appears to be taking a couple of chapters. The set up is a bit complex - I mean, I have to explain why my hero is dressed in believable drag and running for his life, right? - and I don't see how I can have them actually meet before the fourth chapter, even though they get lovely chapters to themselves beforehand.

So is it a rule that they must meet quick, or if the reader gets to know each of them and thinks "these two belong together although I'll be darned as to how the author is going to do it," can I get away with the later meet?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

PS - This is all NANO's fault. The nasty, ugly sow's ear I created insists that it can be turned into a lovely Victorian beaded bag with a complete replotting/rewrite, while my first draft of another book languishes on a fainting couch somewhere in my subconscious.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Possible "cheat:" What if they have a meeting that isn't REALLY a first meeting? IE, they are in the same place at the same time, each doing their own things, and somehow bump into each other or trade a comment or something. Neither person thinks it's significant, but the reader knows this is a little wink at them being together.

Of course this would never work for my novel (in which I am trying to introduce the female much earlier as well), so maybe it won't work for yours. But maybe?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It depends, totally.

If you're writing for Harlequin/Silhouette/Mills & Boon, then each line has a preference of how fast it has to be (you learn this by reading the lines, honestly). Sometimes it's the first 3-10 pages, sometimes it's the first line.

For Single Titles, there's more leeway. I've seen it happen on the first page, I've seen it happen on page 80-100. Just make the story good until it happens, create characters and conflicts that are captivating, and you should be good to go.

Good luck with it.

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I think the hero/heroine meet in the first chapter is mostly for category romances. Usually/generally speaking, historical romance doesn't HAVE to have them meet right away although I've still seen a few judges of contests and even editors/agents who have said, I wanted them to meet earlier.

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
My primary beta raised a question last night that I realized could be answered by switching the order of two chapters and inserting an almost meet moment - she attends the performance of a play in which he is performing. Afterwards, they make eye contact, but never actually talk to each other. I'm happy. Thanks for all of the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.