PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for an inexperienced vegetarian?

Perks
01-08-2008, 04:52 AM
We're having a dinner guest tomorrow and I just found out that he's a vegetarian. So there goes my wasted trip to the grocery store today. That's okay, beef stroganoff for later in the week.

What I need now is an idea for a tasty vegetarian meal that's relatively easy.

What say you people?

Bubastes
01-08-2008, 04:53 AM
Cheese lasagna, maybe?

truelyana
01-08-2008, 04:55 AM
You can still make Stroganoff, and just include Mushrooms for the individual separately as vegetarian replacement.

poetinahat
01-08-2008, 04:57 AM
dahl (sp?). It's an Indian dish made from lentils. Not so much a meal as a side dish over rice, but it's brilliant.

Also potato rosti -- kind of like hash browns, with maybe some shallot and grated cheese, and they go fantastically with a little smoked salmon and sour cream.

Maybe a collection of side dishes like this that, together, make a meal?

(I have kind of a bias against vegetarianising meat dishes; they always leave me wondering.)

Good luck!

veinglory
01-08-2008, 04:58 AM
Indeed. or make it in two pans, one with a substitute beef like Boca.

truelyana
01-08-2008, 04:59 AM
dahl (sp?). It's an Indian dish made from lentils. Not so much a meal as a side dish over rice, but it's brilliant.

Also potato rosti -- kind of like hash browns, with maybe some shallot and grated cheese, and they go fantastically with a little smoked salmon and sour cream.

Maybe a collection of side dishes like this that, together, make a meal?

(I have kind of a bias against vegetarianising meat dishes; they always leave me wondering.)

Good luck!

I love dahl and rosti. :)

Perks
01-08-2008, 04:59 AM
Hmmm. I knew I could count on you people. I do love lentils. I'll look these things up. Thanks!

BenPanced
01-08-2008, 05:03 AM
Cheese lasagna, maybe?
Spinach lasagna. Pure heaven on a plate.

sunna
01-08-2008, 05:07 AM
Hmmm. Manicotti, veggie lasagna, or portobello parmigiana, as long as your guest isn't vegan. All of that's pretty easy, fun to make, and tastes damn good.

I'll second the dahl. Great stuff. :)

I'm trying to remember what I made the last time I had guests...stuffed mushrooms, sauteed asparagus, ale-braised mashed potatoes (surprisingly good), bruschetta, roasted yams, and beer chicken for my carnivore husband. It was either a hit or they all pretended really well.

Devil Ledbetter
01-08-2008, 05:09 AM
Eggplant Parmisiana

scarletpeaches
01-08-2008, 05:10 AM
A good big steak. :)

Magdalen
01-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Ratatouille Provencale, Of Course. Be sure to watch the DVD!!

kikazaru
01-08-2008, 05:37 AM
I made this not too long ago and it was wonderful. I increased the lemon and garlic - it's from the epicurious site and if you do an advanced search for vegetarian recipes there are tons and all reviewed you might find something else that suits you better - " Lemon Gnocchi with Spinach and Peas" http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/240959

Perks
01-08-2008, 05:39 AM
Oooh! You're a pal, thanks! Great ideas everyone. I'd actually like to make at least a couple of dinners a week go vegetarian, but I just have no experience cooking hearty meals with no meat.

CatSlave
01-08-2008, 05:47 AM
I vote for mushroom stroganoff.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Portobello-Mushroom-Stroganoff/Detail.aspx

DO NOT use any beef, and DO NOT use beef broth.
You should be able to tweak your original stroganoff recipe to make it vegetarian.
Good luck.

Perks
01-08-2008, 05:48 AM
I vote for mushroom stroganoff.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Portobello-Mushroom-Stroganoff/Detail.aspx

DO NOT use any beef, and DO NOT use beef broth.
You should be able to tweak your original stroganoff recipe to make it vegetarian.
Good luck.Without beef broth? I'm gonna have to look that one up. You learn something every day...

robeiae
01-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Lobster omelettes.

CatSlave
01-08-2008, 05:53 AM
Without beef broth? I'm gonna have to look that one up. You learn something every day...
You can find veggie broth and mushroom broth in cartons in most groceries; some brands are very good.
And definitely you can find it in a natural foods store, if you have one in your area.
But DO NOT use any meat products in your dish.
Just adding extra mushrooms doesn't cut it.

BTW, you can google any number of yummy vegetarian recipes.

Perks
01-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Yeah, I love google. A lot. I was just looking for personal recommendations, in case I made a bad choice. Don't really like to experiment on company.

robeiae
01-08-2008, 05:56 AM
That's the best time. It's not like you'll see them every day for the remainder of your life.

CatSlave
01-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Yeah, I love google. A lot. I was just looking for personal recommendations, in case I made a bad choice. Don't really like to experiment on company.
Just use your original recipe, but substitute portobello or other mushrooms for the beef, and veggie or mushroom broth for the beef broth.
A bunch of fancy wild mushrooms would be terrific, if you can get your hands on some. Otherwise, Portobellos and a combination of regular everyday mushrooms would be fine.
If you can get some dried shiitakes or other dried mushrooms from an Asian grocery (they have to be soaked first and save the soaking water), they would add a lot of taste to the fresh mushrooms.
Let us know how it comes out. :)

Perks
01-08-2008, 06:03 AM
That's the best time. It's not like you'll see them every day for the remainder of your life.Yeah, but what if it's so good, he won't leave?

robeiae
01-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Put him to work.

poetinahat
01-08-2008, 06:12 AM
This is so easy.

Two words: Tim Tams.

Lyra Jean
01-08-2008, 06:50 AM
http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com

try this blog. It's filled with vegetarian dishes.

Perks
01-08-2008, 07:23 AM
This is so easy.

Two words: Tim Tams.Ha. Easy for you to say. You have Tim Tams.

Susie
01-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Here's another link, Perks. Hope it helps. http://food.ivillage.com/mainingredient/vegetarian/0,,8p5hfxz3,00.html

Have fun!

eek_a_snake
01-08-2008, 11:22 AM
I've recently discovered how easy channa masala (http://www.route79.com/food/channa-masala.htm) is to make. I also made this citrus spaghetti (http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/30-minute-meals/citrus-spaghetti-with-shredded-radicchio/article.html) a couple weeks ago and it was quite good, though it would probably be a better summer dish. Falafel (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/231755) with grilled veggies and couscous (http://www.ochef.com/38.htm) is always good, too.

My all time favorite kitchen-staple vegetarian cookbook is 1001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes (http://www.amazon.com/001-Low-Fat-Vegetarian-Recipes-Great-Tasting/dp/1572840579/). I've been using it for everything from pancakes to cheesecakes for about 10 years.

poetinahat
01-08-2008, 11:27 AM
*drool*

Melanie, I'm trying that channa masala. If it's half as tasty as felafel, maybe I'll even go veg.

Bartholomew
01-08-2008, 11:48 AM
We're having a dinner guest tomorrow and I just found out that he's a vegetarian. So there goes my wasted trip to the grocery store today. That's okay, beef stroganoff for later in the week.

What say you people?

Fajitas sin carne. If he can eat shrimp, then Shrimp Fajitas.

eek_a_snake
01-08-2008, 12:33 PM
*drool*

Melanie, I'm trying that channa masala. If it's half as tasty as felafel, maybe I'll even go veg.

If you make falafel, I've discovered that using half black beans and half chickpeas makes a nice change in texture and taste once in a while.

(You'd never guess that I truly hate cooking.)

Mandy-Jane
01-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm a beginning vegetarian and the nicest thing I've cooked is Spinach and Yoghurt Potato Skins. They are the most delicious things ever! I can look up the recipe if you're interested. They're topped with breadcrumbs and put under the grill and they are unbelievably scrumptious.

Surprisingly filling too.

sunna
01-08-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm a beginning vegetarian and the nicest thing I've cooked is Spinach and Yoghurt Potato Skins. They are the most delicious things ever! I can look up the recipe if you're interested. They're topped with breadcrumbs and put under the grill and they are unbelievably scrumptious.

Surprisingly filling too.

I dunno about Perks, but I want that recipe! Been a veg for almost 20 years, and I'm always looking for new stuff, especially with spinach.

Perks
01-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I second that. I'm really going to try to make a day or two a week vegetarian. For health, cost and just-to-be-difficult.

Bubastes
01-08-2008, 07:04 PM
One veggie cookbook I like is Vegetable Heaven by Mollie Katzen. She also wrote The Moosewood Cookbook, which is also good but has more time-consuming recipes. Deborah Madison also has some well-regarded vegetarian cookbooks, but I haven't tried any of her recipes yet.

Silver King
01-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I really, really wish we had a cooking forum. Do you suppose if I bug Mac enough, she'd create a little sub forum where we could swap recipes, discuss foods and even trade info about cookbooks and publishers?

Bubastes
01-08-2008, 07:38 PM
A food writing sub-forum in the Non-Fiction section, maybe?

Shadow_Ferret
01-08-2008, 07:39 PM

That's an oxymoron.

sunna
01-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I really, really wish we had a cooking forum. Do you suppose if I bug Mac enough, she'd create a little sub forum where we could swap recipes, discuss foods and even trade info about cookbooks and publishers?

I'm in! :e2cheer:

C.bronco
01-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Zucchini Souffle (It's really good. I made it on Saturday.)

4 cups grated zucchini
1 cup bisquick
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs
2 T chopped onion

mix all ingredients, pour into greased pan and bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 45 minutes to an hour.

Silver King
01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
A food writing sub-forum in the Non-Fiction section, maybe?
That sounds like a good place.

I enjoy the many cooking related threads that appear in Office Party, but the nature of this forum is transitory, and some truly great threads have dropped out of sight all too quickly. I imagine a place where we would not only discuss food related topics, but also the cooking industry in general as well as cookbooks in particular. And since most of us cook in one form or another, such a forum might be a popular place to visit.

CatSlave
01-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Count me in.
I'm always willing to collect and share new recipes.

Perks
01-08-2008, 08:47 PM
My thread's gonna spawn a new board! I'm such a proud papa.

scarletpeaches
01-08-2008, 08:50 PM
This is so easy.

Two words: Tim Tams.

Taxi to the McCreery residence! :D

jst5150
01-08-2008, 09:03 PM
[Ahem]

C'hallah
Potato Latkes (fried in vegetable oil, of course)
Matzah ball soup
Potato and onion knishs

and, of course,

Kugel

Add some unleavened bread for color (just be sure not to set it next to cardboard; the two are indistinguishable)

It'll be like a passover Seder (dip twice), but your guest doesn't have to know. :)

Perks
01-08-2008, 09:09 PM
But I don't know any of the right words and will louse it all up and be labeled a meshuggana.

Probably didn't even spell that right. See?

scarletpeaches
01-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Oy! :rolleyes:

Gravity
01-08-2008, 09:43 PM
White Castle hamburgers, and plenty of them. Since nobody's really sure what they're made of, you can just tell your guest it's a type of tofu.

Honey Nut Loop
01-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Just make sure you check everything to make sure it is vegetarian. Of course it depends how strict your guest is, but you'd be surprised the things you can find animal products in.'

Rennet for example can be found in many cheeses and some chocolate, such as mars bars, and is an extract of calf's stomach.

Gravity
01-09-2008, 01:49 AM
...an extract of calf's stomach.

Mmmm. Now you're making me hungry.

Death Wizard
01-09-2008, 03:15 AM
Quiche with crumbled soy bacon and soy sausage, mozzarella cheese, some half/and/half to make the eggs fluffy, and diced green peppers. Four eggs and two tablespoons of half/half per pie shell. Just a little black pepper. No salt needed because of the cheese. Awesome!

Mandy-Jane
01-09-2008, 03:17 AM
I dunno about Perks, but I want that recipe! Been a veg for almost 20 years, and I'm always looking for new stuff, especially with spinach.

4 large potatoes
1 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons oil, extra
1 clove garlice, crushed
250g packet frozen spinach, thawed
2 tablespoons plain yoghurt
1 cup stale wholemeal breadcrumbs
15g butter, melted

Place potatoes on oven tray, bake in moderate over for about 1 1/4 hours or until tender. Cut potatoes into quarters, scoop out the flesh, leaving a 5mm shell of potato; reserve flesh. Brush potato skins inside and out with oil, place onto hot oven tray, cut side up. Bake in hot oven for 10 minutes. Chop reserved potato flesh.
Heat extra oil in medium frying pan, add garlic and drained spinach, stir over heat about 3 munutes or until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat, stir in potato flesh, yoghurt and half the breadrumbs. Cool slightly. Combine remaining breadcrumbs and butter in a small bowl. Spoon spinach mixture onto potato skins, sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture, bake in moderately hot oven for about 10 minutes or until breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Serves 4 to 6.

They are so delicious. Let me know what you think!

truelyana
01-09-2008, 06:25 AM
That sounds like a good place.

I enjoy the many cooking related threads that appear in Office Party, but the nature of this forum is transitory, and some truly great threads have dropped out of sight all too quickly. I imagine a place where we would not only discuss food related topics, but also the cooking industry in general as well as cookbooks in particular. And since most of us cook in one form or another, such a forum might be a popular place to visit.

I'm up for this too, I love cooking and trying out new recipes. :D

Death Wizard
01-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Also, spinach lasagna. Layer with mozzarella cheese, marinara, and low-fat cottage cheese mixed with strained, chopped spinach. Better than lasagna with meat!

sunna
01-09-2008, 06:54 AM
They are so delicious. Let me know what you think!

Somehow I'm hungry again. Yum.

O yeah, I'm making that this weekend. :e2headban

Perks
01-09-2008, 07:49 AM
The portobello stroganoff was a hit. Now I'm gonna have to look up some of these other things.

Thanks guys!

eek_a_snake
01-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Quiche with crumbled soy bacon and soy sausage, mozzarella cheese, some half/and/half to make the eggs fluffy, and diced green peppers. Four eggs and two tablespoons of half/half per pie shell. Just a little black pepper. No salt needed because of the cheese. Awesome!

Instead of the soy bacon/sausage/mozzarella, you can also try mushroom/asparagus/swiss. (I like asparagus/swiss because they have a strong flavor, which the bacon/sausage combo probably provides also.) You can used canned mushroom and asparagus too, which makes it something you can throw together when there's "nothing" in the fridge. :)

If you buy pie crust, make sure to verify that it's made with vegetable shortening. A surprising number of them are made with lard (animal fat).

CatSlave
01-09-2008, 07:47 PM
All y'all might want to bookmark the Washington Post weekly chat: What's Cooking with Kim O'Donnel.
She does a regular vegetarian chat also.
This is a link to the transcripts archive of her chats.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/03/24/LI2005032401387.html

There is another weekly discussion called Michael Dirda on Books that may be of interest to some.

Enjoy :)

WerenCole
01-10-2008, 01:36 AM
What say you people?

I give you the simple answer.

Don't be a vegetarian.

Or, come back to the dark side. . . with MEAT : http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=572343#post572343

CatSlave
01-10-2008, 02:01 AM
The portobello stroganoff was a hit. Now I'm gonna have to look up some of these other things.

Thanks guys!
Great!
Now you can tweak your Portobello Stroganoff and turn it into a Hungarian Portobello Paprikash (using imported Hungarian paprika for best results). Here's a recipe to give you the idea:

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/ethnic-recipes/hungarian/portobello-paprikash.htm

See how much fun this can be?

ETA: I recently read on a food blog that Wolfgang Puck's veggie broth in a box (available in most groceries) is a superior product.
Also try using organic Greek yogurt in place of sour cream.
It has the same consistency as sour cream, and the flavor is to die for.
You'll never go back to the weak, dribbly grocery store brand again.

paprikapink
01-10-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm not a vegetarian, but I live in California.

I love Deborah Madison's cookbook "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone." It's one of my go-to all-purpose cookbooks. Her lasagne with eggplant and chard is a big hit at our house.

Another great source for veggie dishes is www.101cookbooks.com. There's a link to "Vegetarian recipes," but I don't know why, since they are all vegetarian.

An easy way to get fluent in vegetarian is to subscribe to the veggie version of Leanne Ely's "Saving Dinner." She sends a weekly menu with detailed recipes and a shopping list of all the foods you'll need to make all the dinners for that week. (In fact, I'm glad I mentioned that. It reminds me that now that I'm through with the holidays and moving, I'll be cooking regularly again and can re-subscribe to it myself. But I like the lo-carb version, because it's so MEATY!!)

CatSlave
01-10-2008, 02:30 AM
I love Deborah Madison's cookbook "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone." It's one of my go-to all-purpose cookbooks. Her lasagne with eggplant and chard is a big hit at our house.
It's one of the better cookbooks around.
Also Steven Raichlen (author of The Barbeque Bible) wrote one that looks very promising:
High Flavor, Low Fat Vegetarian Cooking.
I never realized he is a French-trained chef.