PDA

View Full Version : Hello, ladies ... I need your Anniversary Ideas

jst5150
01-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Hi there. :)

In February, I'll have a Friday, Saturday and Sunday to spend on my wife's birthday. It will be a "birthday weekend" from the moemnt she leaves work until, say, 9 p.m., Sunday night.

While I have a few ideas of my own (let your mind run rampant with that), I'm looking for fresh. Yes, there will be flowers each day. Yes, there will be chocolate each day. However, I'm looking to build an itinerary from top to bottom.

So, here's where you come. Given the spending limits of a middle-class military guy and access to the greater Atlanta area, what would you suggest to do? Further, what other little nuanced things would you suggest to carry the weekend?

And, go.

dolores haze
01-08-2008, 12:17 AM
When this thread is done I'll be having my hubby read it.

I suggest some time at a spa getting pampered, and lotsa, lotsa really good sex.

quickWit
01-08-2008, 12:18 AM
I suggest you have dolores flown in to clean your house from top to bottom and give her a break from her household duties.

Siddow
01-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Could you buy her thoughtful, inexpensive gifts; one for each year? You know her better than we do...but I know I'd prefer thought over expense, especially if I knew that my hubby had to WORK for it...go one place to get my favorite cake (Carvel), then to the bookstore to buy the latest by my favorite author, then to Office Max for a new notebook, etc...you could suprise her with one when she gets home from work, another before bed, another at breakfast, etc.

Are you going out for dinner? I can highly recommend Bluepointe, it's right across the street from Lenox Square. Kinda pricey, but the food and the service is worth it.

cray
01-08-2008, 12:24 AM
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1673287&postcount=2661

Perks
01-08-2008, 12:24 AM
See if there's a concert or a comedy show in town for one of the nights. Elaborately romantic is swell, but carefree and casual, like when you were dating can be really fun and relaxing.

And since you have multiple nights, you can have both.

nerds
01-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Well, you could certainly do the day-spa thing and go from there :D. Or go to stay at some nice place with a spa thingy. I'm not familiar with what Atlanta offers . . . ?

If she loves music, take her to a beautiful lunch or dinner then a concert or a club where they play what she likes. Does she like art? Museums? Museum, spa, late sexy dinner maybe?

You could make a "theme" of the weekend depending on what her interests are, certainly. Nice idea!

If she loves gardens/flowers, start out with flowers, then a garden tour, then a stay at some nice little B and B with gardens, and some flower prints as presents. You have flowers blooming in Atlanta in February, right?

P.H.Delarran
01-08-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm with Perks. Mix up the romantic with just plain fun-a show or game if she's into sports, or some fun daytime sightseeing thing that you normally don't venture into since you live there (you live there, right?). Even a nice long walk can be the best thing.
Finding a restaurant that is out of the norm can be romantic. We discovered a Moroccan restaurant that became a fast favorite for special occasions. Sitting on pillows and eating with your fingers from the same plate of food while drinking imported wine is very romantic.
As for nuance, burn some cd's of her favorite music, or music that is special to you both, to be playing every time you're in the car. Find a picture from your earlier days together and make into a greeting card, with a poem from you inside.
(is this anniversary or birthday??)

reigningcatsndogs
01-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Wow, it all sounds great so far. What a wonderful idea. You're so sweet.

There is one thing, though, that all women want:

http://mind4webs.com/pics/neo/jpeg/twr.jpg

Kerr
01-08-2008, 01:38 AM
Jst, you know your wife as well as she knows you. Getting several well-thought gifts makes most women ecstatic. A magazine subscription, her favorite flowers. If you get a room, get one with your own jacuzzi. Put out candles and have room service bring a bottle of champagne. Women do this kind of thing every day when shopping and at the grocery, then making meals, knowing her family's sizes, tastes and preferences. When a man puts forth the same effort to please her, it's bound to be a fabulous weekend.

You have my vote.

scarletpeaches
01-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Oh wow. Have you got a brother?

He must be:

Straight
Single
Still breathing
Legal

Shadow_Ferret
01-08-2008, 01:42 AM
Appliances. They're practical and everyone needs a new vacuum cleaner or toaster oven.

P.H.Delarran
01-08-2008, 02:18 AM
Appliances.
Oster has good RPM

jst5150
01-08-2008, 02:19 AM
Surrounded by women in a writing forum with my ... mind ... wide open. :)

Keep them coming, ladies. I'm building quite an agenda with all this material. Fortunately, I had spa (she wants this one badly) and also a shopping spree with about $400 in gift cards. I'm embellishing. So, more, please!

Thanks a million.

ETA: And a three new poems, one for each day, dedicated to her. Just thought you ought to know. :)

Writer???
01-08-2008, 03:17 AM
Okay, I'm guy not a lady, I haven't read all the replies, so take this with those in mind please.

I listen to my wife and make note of the times I hear, "Oh I wish we could go..." or, "I'd really like to have..." or, any of the "Ohh's and Ahh's" that come when she's looking at a catalog or something. THESE are the things I do for anniversary, birthday, and "just because" days. They are still nice surprises, and they're special because you care enough to listen to what she is saying when she expresses her desires. (and no, I don't mean if she's said, "We need a new vacuum cleaner.", THAT can get you cold and lonely very quick.)

Good luck. I'm sure you will do fine and she will be very happy. The poems are a must of course.

Susie
01-08-2008, 03:32 AM
Great suggestions and hope your anniversary is super! If you sing, you could serenade her with her favorite song. She'd love that.

nerds
01-08-2008, 03:32 AM
Oh wow. Have you got a brother?

He must be:

Straight
Single
Still breathing
Legal

*sigh* I think they stopped making this model in 1976.

Siddow
01-08-2008, 03:33 AM
The appliances thing...my husband bought one of those Shark steam-cleaners and here's my favorite things about it:

1. It wasn't a gift to me
2. He's the one using it

Carry on with suggestions for The Man Who Really Doesn't Need Them. :D

zenwriter
01-08-2008, 03:39 AM
You could try waking her up with a shower of rose petals (rose petals are about $16 for a baggie at your local florist). A rose petal bath followed by a foot rub may also be a good idea. I do this for my boyfriend all the time and he likes it (although he is, obviously, not a woman). There's also this great site that I have used with success that lets you pay for "adventures" (sailing, hot balloon rides, etc.):

http://www.greatamericandays.com/

Good luck and congrats on the anniversary!

brokenfingers
01-08-2008, 03:41 AM
Can I chime in as a guy?

Damn, someone already mentioned a vacuum cleaner and other appliances.

Hmmmmm I know! How about you get her a tool set?!

Perks
01-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Can I chime in as a guy?

Damn, someone already mentioned a vacuum cleaner and other appliances.

Hmmmmm I know! How about you get her a tool set?!If a girl had you, would she need another tool?

sorry... couldn't help myself... you know how it is.

brokenfingers
01-08-2008, 03:50 AM
If a girl had me, I wouldn't still be a virgin.

Noob
01-08-2008, 05:27 AM
I wouldnt recommend to buy appliances. For me that doesnt sound very personal. :)

*Fill the bathtubb with hot water, and some good smelling oils. Add candels, and maybe some champagne or wine. Maybe some music? Or offer her a book to read? Maybe wash her gently in the bath, with a soft spunge. Or maybe offer her a good book she can just sit and enjoy in the tubb. (it all depends on the women, and you know your best).
-After bath, maybe a looong good massage. (dont we all just love a good massage. hehe)
-Then maybe some of that "foreplay" you know she loves.

A personal jewelery gift maybe? Necklase is pretty safe, since size dont matter. It doesnt have to cost that much, but its personal since YOU picked it for her.

Shopping, spa, hairsalong, nailsalong.
Romantic dinner
Watch one romantic/drama movie/film that she wants to see. You may be surpriced and end up enjoying it to. *s*
True the weekend be that good old gentleman that open all doors, carry all stuff when shopping++
Hold hands while walking.
Make her breakfest, or other meals.
If you 2 have kids - try get atleast one evening/night/morning with no kids in the house.
Good mood + humor.
Maybe take her to a show, consert, galleri?
Maybe a trip out in the nature, with a lunchbasket?
A littel get together with another couple, for dinner or other activites?

Well enough rambling. I have no idea what your or your wife like/dislike, so dont be offended of any of my tips. They was given with the best intensions.
Best of luck with the celebration. She is lucky to have someone like you. :)

nerds
01-08-2008, 05:44 AM
I've thought of something else, but this may or may not be her cup of tea. (I am a nerd, after all.) Maybe within the weekend theme/scheme of things, on each of the three days, give her a beautiful book within her field(s) of interest. You could tuck your poems in as "bookmarks" for her to find when she opens each book.

There are incredible coffee-table style books on just about everything. Gardens, architecture, Arts and Crafts homes, interior decors, vintage cars, ocean life, it's a wide wonderful world. I'm crazy for cooking and I'd not consider it unthoughtful to be given a series of three really nice photo-books on, say, French country kitchens, French cuisine, etc.

If she loves mysteries, or another specific genre, maybe one really nice edition or box set of a favorite writer of hers each day. Does she love stars? (who doesn't) There are beautiful star photo books, and some which are specific to the current year and allow you to follow their positions in the sky.

It would all depend on her interests but it might be a nice addition to the weekend. It's something I would love, admittedly, but maybe something extra to consider, if she would like that sort of thing. I'm always over the moon to be given nice books but that's just me.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-08-2008, 05:47 AM
One of the best things Ol' Boy ever got me was the Bed & Breakfast thing, with a twist. The B&B had a massage therapist and she taught a class 'Massage for Lovers' (slide up on the curb, y'all!) wherein she taught both of us the art of massage. Took three hours - I got a massage; he got a massage and it was the gift that kept on giving for both of us. We came home, bought a massage table (about $250), and we trade back and forth getting and giving each other real, honest-to-goodness therapeutic massage. Priceless!

jst5150
01-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Again, all great suggestions. I'll print these tomorrow and form my battle plan.

And my wish is that you all get at least a sampling of these when your time comes around. :)

Devil Ledbetter
01-08-2008, 06:21 AM
For a recent anniversary DH and I spent a weekend at a bed and breakfast. Something neat and romantic he did was present me with a fancy box of assorted chocolates from a specialty chocolatier, to sweeten up the long drive. What a treat.

Keep in mind that romance and overscheduling don't mix well. Be sure to leave time for relaxation and spontaneity.

robeiae
01-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Hello, ladies ... I need your Anniversary Ideas

Claim you actually remembered, but the tennis bracelet was on back order.

Jersey Chick
01-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Hmmm... I told my husband (before we were married, and an occasional reminder) if he ever gives me an appliance as a gift, I'd beat him to death with it.

Anyhooo....

There are some great ideas here - dunno if I can top them... Some of the nicest gifts I've ever gotten were the least expected and had obvious thought behind them -

Now, I don't know your wife's taste, but is there anything she's seen that she's mentioned the famous "One of these days, I'm getting XYZ."? Or maybe something she's always wanted to try, but never had the opportunity? It doesn't have to be fancy - just as long as it's from the heart. :)

Joycecwilliams
01-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Is it your anniversary? Or your wife's birthday?

If it is your wife's birthday she is most likely an Aquarius and she like unconventional ideas and gifts..

1. A Giant Uncut Amythest (they are in rocks... you see them in rock and mineral stores and are fairly inexpensive)

2. A homemade card (You're a writer tell her how much she means to you and all the reason you love her) If you really want to expand on that, you can get some invisable ink and write some sexy ideas and suggestions between the lines and have her hold the card over a candle.

3. Take her to an elegant restaraunt for breakfast - It's cheaper than dinner.

4. Go to the Atlanta Botanical Garden they are having an orchid display at that time.

5. If it's the first Friday of the month.. try this:
Cineprov! Presents FIRST FRIDAY FORCE: First Friday of every month. Join Atlanta's premier movie mockery show as they tackle the entire Star Wars series, starting at Episode 1 and working their way through Episode 6 every first Friday of the month starting in January 2008. Cineprov! performs every Friday night at 8pm at Relapse Theatre near the Georgia Tech campus. Tickets are $10.00, $5.00 for students, and reservations are recommended.

That's all I have,
joyce

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Re: the appliance thing... I may be an unconventional woman, but there comes a time when a wonderful appliance is the bomb. For my anniversary last year, I got a new vacuum. I woulda BEGGED for a new vacuum. The one I had made it hard on my back to push/pull and it just didn't do the hardwood floors we'd denuded of their carpet covering.

I know... practical. Boring. But we've already been through all the flowers, kitties, puppies, diamonds, etc. But my back thanks him again every time I use it.

Perks
01-08-2008, 06:30 PM
I get a puppy or a kitten and someone may be in for a beating. I'm warming up to the idea of a proper pet (fish, after a decade, are starting to bore me) but I'd need to be in on that little decision. Especially since I'd be the one doing all the work that goes with it!