PDA

View Full Version : Yuck, yuck, yuck!

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Why, why, WHY do cockroaches insist on scaring the crap out of me?

I was just in the bathroom, and while sitting there, grabbed a new roll of toilet paper to replace the empty one. When I pushed the springy thing through the roll, a giant cockroach scurried out the other end.

OVER MY FINGERS!

I can't remember the last time I screamed that loud. I ran to get the bug spray (which was already out to kill ants) and when I got back, he was gone.

WHY do they do this to me? We aren't dirty, we just don't have screens and all sorts of creatures come in. The other day a gecko died while still clinging to the wall & I didn't notice until it was covered with over 50 ants.

GROSS!

A couple nights ago I almost stepped on one that was over two inches long on a midnight bathroom run. I don't know what to do. I'm at the point where I'm imagining things crawling on me.

Suggestions?

nerds
01-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Well. You need spiders. One of the very few natural enemies of the cockroach.

here's a link, maybe it'll be helpful:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IG105

also - natural remedies: (scroll down the page a bit to pest control)

http://www.figtree.org.au/natural_pest_control.html

maxmordon
01-08-2008, 12:14 AM
this remembers me the time I had a Kafka dream and when I woke up I have three roaches walking on top of me!

kristie911
01-08-2008, 12:15 AM
I don't have any suggestions, Mel, but I sympathize with you.

When I was first married we lived in a trailer, which I was not particularly fond of but it was what we could afford at the time. Well, one day a HUGE cockroach came crawling down the hallway. This was the kind of cockroach you can only find down south and in homes of our migrant population (because they come in on their belongings)...it was probably 3 inches long. Ugh. I immediately started crying because I didn't want to be "trailer trash". The exterminator took care of the problem.

BTW...my ex is a police officer and earlier that day he'd done a home visit with FIA and the house was infested with these giant cockroaches...he'd brought it home with him on his clothes somewhere. How icky is that?! :)

I hate cockroaches!

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Eww! Max, that doesn't help. We had to sleep with a mosquito net before we moved here but I thought we were safe since we're on the fourth floor.

We have spiders, but nothing big. I refuse to click on that link because I'm sure it's something else that'll creep me out.

Ugh, every time my air brushes against me I think it's a BUG!

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 12:17 AM
I don't have any suggestions, Mel, but I sympathize with you.

When I was first married we lived in a trailer, which I was not particularly fond of but it was what we could afford at the time. Well, one day a HUGE cockroach came crawling down the hallway. This was the kind of cockroach you can only find down south and in homes of our migrant population (because they come in on their belongings)...it was probably 3 inches long. Ugh. I immediately started crying because I didn't want to be "trailer trash". The exterminator took care of the problem.

BTW...my ex is a police officer and earlier that day he'd done a home visit with FIA and the house was infested with these giant cockroaches...he'd brought it home with him on his clothes somewhere. How icky is that?! :)

I hate cockroaches!

Thanks. They never seem to come out when my husband is home. I've gotten good at flinging them off the deck with a broom, but this was in the bathroom & nowhere near a door.

The two-incher I chased out the front door with hairspray. :D

nerds
01-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Eww! Max, that doesn't help. We had to sleep with a mosquito net before we moved here but I thought we were safe since we're on the fourth floor.

We have spiders, but nothing big. I refuse to click on that link because I'm sure it's something else that'll creep me out.

Ugh, every time my air brushes against me I think it's a BUG!

No, no, it's just an educational thing, the first link. Try the natural stuff in the second link I edited in. It does work. And no nasty carcinogenic chems.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 12:21 AM
No, no, it's just an educational thing, the first link. Try the natural stuff in the second link I edited in. It does work. And no nasty carcinogenic chems.

Ooh, that has some good suggestions.

Side note, I think it's funny they have solutions to get rid of other pests, like cats and dogs.

quickWit
01-08-2008, 12:29 AM
For the second time today I must reply to one of your posts with an

Ewwwwwwww!

Sorry, I have no advice other than to sleep with the lights on.

maxmordon
01-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Well, sometimes you get used to, Mel. Like me; I don't bother when I see it but still me asquea tocarlas

auntybug
01-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Get a cat :D Mine used to love the friggen B52 sized roaches on Maui. It was gross cleaning up the next day but I rarely ever saw the bastards alive.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 12:33 AM
I've gotten better. The gecko the shot out of the cupboard scared me more than a normal cockroach on the floor, but THIS made me scream like a little girl. The fact that I hunted for him tells me I'm a little better than when I first arrived.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Get a cat :D Mine used to love the friggen B52 sized roaches on Maui. It was gross cleaning up the next day but I rarely ever saw the bastards alive.

*sniff* allergies. We could grab one from the street for a couple days...

III
01-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Very good example of showing vs. telling, Melaniethat. I felt like I was sitting on the can with you.

auntybug
01-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Very good example of showing vs. telling, Melaniethat. I felt like I was sitting on the can with you.

:ROFL:

slcboston
01-08-2008, 12:38 AM
here's the bad thing about cockroaches - once they move into someplace they are almost impossible to get rid of, unless professionally exterminated. And even then, they'll often come back.

Truth is, the little buggers are everywhere, and it often makes no difference how clean you are. While they are attracted to some places more than others, they aren't that picky. :) And given your location, which is warm and ideal for them, you may be seeing them for a long time.

Don't freak about the lizards, though. They eat bugs, too. :D

maxmordon
01-08-2008, 12:39 AM
By the way, once my grandma suffered something quite similar that your bathroom expirience... except it was a frog...

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 12:41 AM

Well I'm glad I took the time to edit. ;)

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 12:42 AM
here's the bad thing about cockroaches - once they move into someplace they are almost impossible to get rid of, unless professionally exterminated. And even then, they'll often come back.

Truth is, the little buggers are everywhere, and it often makes no difference how clean you are. While they are attracted to some places more than others, they aren't that picky. :) And given your location, which is warm and ideal for them, you may be seeing them for a long time.

Don't freak about the lizards, though. They eat bugs, too. :D

By the way, once my grandma suffered something quite similar that your bathroom expirience... except it was a frog...

Lizards & frogs I have no problem. It's things with extra legs that creep me out. When we slept with the net, they exterminated & cockroaches were raining from the ceiling.

auntybug
01-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Well I'm glad I took the time to edit. ;)

Thanks! Didn't need to hear you were sitting there taking a 4 :ROFL:

ETA: Sorry...must leave now...;)

Sunkissed27f
01-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Little jars of water laced with sugar or honey (on windowsills) ants crawl in and drown....wahhahaha.

Or you can line pest glue traps all long the window edges....you know like the ones they use for mice. I used to tack these all along the window when we were in Italy....no screens there either.

But some cockroaches fly...so you know.....might not help.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Ewwwww, ew, ew, ew, ew!

Do NOT tell me that those things FLY!

maxmordon
01-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Ewwwww, ew, ew, ew, ew!

Yeah, even one writer described Venezuela as "The country where cockroachs fly"

nerds
01-08-2008, 12:50 AM
You mentioned allergies -

from the first link I put up for you -

"Controlling a cockroach infestation is not simply a matter of aesthetics. Large indoor cockroach populations are one of the leading causes of allergies, asthma and other bronchial disorders in humans. Additionally, cockroaches are capable of carrying disease organisms and bacteria on their bodies and in their fecal material."

maxmordon
01-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Lizards & frogs I have no problem. It's things with extra legs that creep me out. When we slept with the net, they exterminated & cockroaches were raining from the ceiling.

I mean, she went to the bathroom in middle of the night and when she sat, there was a frog! (my grandparents live next to a forest) and the frog estaba chupando sus nalgas

WendyNYC
01-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Ewwwww, ew, ew, ew, ew!

Oh yeah, they fly alright.

Having a pet is helpful to keep vermin at bay. Wanna borrow my dog? He's an excellent bug-chaser.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 12:58 AM
You mentioned allergies -

from the first link I put up for you -

"Controlling a cockroach infestation is not simply a matter of aesthetics. Large indoor cockroach populations are one of the leading causes of allergies, asthma and other bronchial disorders in humans. Additionally, cockroaches are capable of carrying disease organisms and bacteria on their bodies and in their fecal material."

That could explain why I've had a hard time breathing for the past month. I figured it was the humidity interfering with my asthma, but maybe I'm just inhaling cockroach feces.

Nice. I feel so warm and fuzzy now.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Flying would explain how they got to the 4th floor.

maxmordon
01-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Flying would explain how they got to the 4th floor.

They also can walk inside the pipes and go to the houses through the drains

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Please stop.

Kerr
01-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Hi Mel. Mexico, huh? Had to take a look to see what brand of bugs you preferred. I was thinking Florida. My parents and sister battled the palmetto's for years. Not only are they huge, but so fast. Once during a get-together, I discovered a huge black beetle-looking thing (about the size of a mouse) just sitting on the hallway wall about eye level. I called one of my brothers and he screamed, which got me laughing. Next thing I knew they were seeing what would happen if they put it in the microwave. Boys! Mom said that was what they called the "Galloping Cockroaches." But at least you can see them coming. Watching every step for fire ants, or the who-done-its that you never see while they're biting the hell out of you, I guess they take the prize. And all of this with once-a-month exterminators. I'll stick with Michigan where everything dies once a year.

quickWit
01-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Did we mention that they find human hair the most desirable nesting habitat?

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 01:12 AM
Hi Mel. Mexico, huh? Had to take a look to see what brand of bugs you preferred. I was thinking Florida. My parents and sister battled the palmetto's for years. Not only are they huge, but so fast. Once during a get-together, I discovered a huge black beetle-looking thing (about the size of a mouse) just sitting on the hallway wall about eye level. I called one of my brothers and he screamed, which got me laughing. Next thing I knew they were seeing what would happen if they put it in the microwave. Boys! Mom said that was what they called the "Galloping Cockroaches." But at least you can see them coming. Watching every step for fire ants, or the who-done-its that you never see while they're biting the hell out of you, I guess they take the prize. And all of this with once-a-month exterminators. I'll stick with Michigan where everything dies once a year.

I'm from Michigan originally & would LOVE to be there now. I have stepped in a fire ant patch and know that's no fun.

Did we mention that they find human hair the most desirable nesting habitat?

*putting on ignore*

maxmordon
01-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Please stop.

I will only say one more and I will stop because of La petición de la Gringa Bonita :D

Cockroaches can live 5 days without their heads, I also have seen how smaller roaches usually eats the corpse of the bigger dead ones

Sunkissed27f
01-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Me...he justed called you a pretty white girl...sheesh..the fingers on this one!

Mel....you asked for it....but keeping the bathroom door closed and putting tacky strips every where helps........but you are so limited in your bug killing power in Mexico!

nerds
01-08-2008, 01:20 AM
They certainly do come up through the plumbing, but also up through the walls no problemo. They can get through the slimmest of spaces where the floor meets the wall in order to exit from the inside of the walls - the space normally covered by a baseboard (which in no way stops them.) Cockroaches do exactly as they please.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Thanks everyone!

quickWit
01-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Don't you feel better now? Aren't you glad you started this thread?

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Very.

joyce
01-08-2008, 01:44 AM
I've lived in Florida my whole life and we have them the size of battle ships, and they do fly. I hate them! They are the only thing I can think of, besides a shark, that I'm scared of. You can tell the domesticated ones from the wild ones (at least I can). The domesticated ones just casually roam around and the wild ones run very fast like they are scared. I remember when I was around 20 and my girlfriend threw a belt away in the trash can. We were stupid and drug the can onto the screened porch (it was night). I felt something crawling on me and I look down and I must have had ten crawling all over me. I thought I'd pass out. I hate them. I'm convinced they bite you, inject you with roach toxins and then you die. :D

ZannaPerry
01-08-2008, 01:49 AM
When you were a kid....has anyone ever scared you with the tale that bugs crawl in your mouth if you sleep with your mouth open?

Was that just me with crude siblings who loved to torment the youngest child?

Melanie, I'm sorry. I am in the same boat as you. I hate bugs! Simple hate them. Doesn't matter what they look like. So sick! Though, I do like ladybugs and butterflies. Other than that, nope.....

joyce
01-08-2008, 02:07 AM
When you were a kid....has anyone ever scared you with the tale that bugs crawl in your mouth if you sleep with your mouth open?

My husband threatens to drop one in my mouth now. I guess I sleep with my mouth open.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 02:14 AM
One night about a month ago there seemed to be a lot of little bugs crawling on me, and I remember one in particular that I really tried to kill. When I woke up there was a smear of blood under my back, but no body.

Susie
01-08-2008, 02:14 AM
Yuckarooni! Sorry that happened, Mel and others. I had one going up my arm and almost fell off the toilet I got so scared....

brokenfingers
01-08-2008, 02:43 AM
Mmmmmm... This thread has made me hungry.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 02:45 AM
Chocolate-covered crunchies?

brokenfingers
01-08-2008, 02:49 AM
Chocolate-covered crunchies?Mmmmmmm, yummy.

Susie
01-08-2008, 03:27 AM
Chocolate-covered crunchies?

Ewwwwwww, yuckarooni again! :D That gives chocolate a whole new food group!

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 03:28 AM
I thought you might have an opinion about that. But it is protein...

jennifer75
01-08-2008, 03:36 AM
I must have a 6th sense for bugs... once a long time ago I sensed something wasn't right with my bedspread.....so I looked under it and WHAZOOOO what was waiting for me... a big ole roach. I count my lucky stars my apt is ant and roach free. I can deal with a spider or two even though I absolutely fear them.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Every time I go in the bathroom now I kick the garbage can & shake the shower curtain so nothing surprises me.

Writer???
01-08-2008, 04:05 AM
Why, why, WHY do cockroaches insist on scaring the crap out of me? YOU scare the crap out of you. If cockroaches are doing any more than crawling around completely ignoring you, you need to seek medical help. :D

I was just in the bathroom, and while sitting there, grabbed a new roll of toilet paper to replace the empty one. When I pushed the springy thing through the roll, a giant cockroach scurried out the other end. - TOOOO much information!

OVER MY FINGERS! - Did you wash before you wiped once loading the roll? If not you now have cockroach coodies in places I don't want to thingk about. Ewwww.

I can't remember the last time I screamed that loud. I ran to get the bug spray (which was already out to kill ants) and when I got back, he was gone.

WHY do they do this to me? We aren't dirty, we just don't have screens and all sorts of creatures come in. The other day a gecko died while still clinging to the wall & I didn't notice until it was covered with over 50 ants. - It doesn't matter how clean you are f you live in a building with other people. You will never get rid of cockroaches in an apartment. All you do is drive them out to a neighbors untill they find their way back when driven out by someone else. Sorry, but all you can really ever do is trade them back and forth.

GROSS! - Yes!

A couple nights ago I almost stepped on one that was over two inches long on a midnight bathroom run. I don't know what to do. I'm at the point where I'm imagining things crawling on me.

Suggestions? - Move if at all possible. Rent or buy a house. Barring that, contact an exterminator and purchase a monthly or bi-monthly contract.

Sometimes even your own house isn't enough if a house close by in a neighborhood has them, you can still get them. A buffer zone of your own land is the best way to go.

If all else fails, rent the movie "Joe's Apartment" and learn to live with them. :D

ETA: "Every time I go in the bathroom now I kick the garbage can & shake the shower curtain so nothing surprises me."

Now yer lernin'!

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 04:11 AM
Wow, I didn't realize I could get crits on OP posts!

And we live in a condo, that we own.

truelyana
01-08-2008, 04:13 AM
Can't you just ask them kindly, to move somewhere else? I'm sure they won't mind.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 04:14 AM
I hoped he understood that in all my screaming. :)

Storm Dream
01-08-2008, 04:14 AM
Oh, I sympathize! Cockroaches turn me into a girlie-girl. I can deal with ants in the bathroom, spiders on the couch, flying things crashing into walls at night, but show me a roach and I will run away screaming. I think if one touched my bare skin I would drop dead.

A few months ago I found a dying one in my bathroom. I have no idea how it got in there; maybe it came in with some boxes or crawled in the front door while I was getting the mail or came in on my shoe (shiver) but there it was, not quite dead. I poked it with a pencil. It wriggled. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was being murdered. It took quite a bit of RAID to finally kill the thing, and even then, my mother had to coax me into getting rid of it over the phone (she went to college in Florida and thus dealt often with the dreaded Flying Ones).

Have not seen once since, thank gawd.

What is it that's so frightening about them? My then-boyfriend, who had no trouble with bugs, flat out refused to come handle it (maybe that's why he's my ex, mwahaha). Is it their legs? Their ugly color? The idea that they're staring at you in the dark, waiting to pounce, and they will ultimately inherit the planet?

We also had a bunch of them in the office when we switched buildings. Every now and then a scream would go up, and someone would say "Ah, there's another one..."

JLCwrites
01-08-2008, 04:16 AM
Peek A Boo!

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/887/5001729.JPG

Preparing to be slapped by Mel

truelyana
01-08-2008, 04:17 AM
I hoped he understood that in all my screaming. :)

The screaming means something differently to insects. If you just forget they are there, they usually disappear.

I have a giant spider living here, in the office. I've only seen her once, and she came down and visited me. I looked at her, and than she looked at me and than she left. Never saw her again, she was beautiful. The biggest spider I've ever seen.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 04:19 AM
Turkey, I take back all the nice things I've said about you.

I'm surprised it took three pages for a picture to turn up!

WendyNYC
01-08-2008, 04:25 AM
When I was in India, we had a huge spider that lived in our bathroom/outhouse. She had to be 5 inches long.

She was too big to squish, so we had an understanding. She hung out in the corner, and I left her alone. I named her Sally.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 04:26 AM
That's my creepy threshold - if it'll make a mess, I don't want to squish it.

JLCwrites
01-08-2008, 04:31 AM
My father used to feed a spider in his garage until it got HUGE. Then one night, my mom felt something crawling across her chest and woke up, flinging the sheets back to see the same spider scurrying over her. Needless to say, she wasn't happy with dad. (And dad had to say adios to his little buddy.)

Silver King
01-08-2008, 05:06 AM
When we were kids, my brother had a palmetto bug, which is basically a beefy cockroach with wings, fly into his mouth, and it became lodged in his throat. The poor boy almost choked to death.

I mention this only so Mel will realize things could be worse, and it's a good idea not to yawn while turning the bathroom light on in the middle of the night.

nerds
01-08-2008, 05:07 AM
The thing is that spiders are beneficial, and I am 100% serious here. They are unfairly maligned and they, unnoticed and uncredited, keep our worlds clean of many of the worst bugs. Spiders are your friends. And as I noted upthread, they're one of the cockroach's only natural enemies.

Voyager
01-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Thanks Turk, I'll never be able to drop another deuce in peace again. It's like when I saw Jaws and then tried to take a shower....duh duh....duh duh, duh duh.....

Peek A Boo!

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/887/5001729.JPG

Preparing to be slapped by Mel

joyce
01-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Wow, I didn't realize I could get crits on OP posts!

And we live in a condo, that we own.

Yes, there are sick cockroach lovers out there, Mel.
Turkey's picture almost made me gag on my keyboard. I still think they are sick, toxic and their only mission in life is to kill us and take over the world.:D

choppersmom
01-08-2008, 07:23 AM
LOL, I had to squeeeeze my eyes shut real tight as I scrolled past Turk's pic. Twice. The word "squicked" doesn't even come close to how I feel right now. I could never stand looking at pictures of bugs, and I become rather the melty mess if I find an actual one in the house. I don't even feed the crickets to the bearded dragon, that's all Pat.

Mel, I feel for you, I really do. I can only reiterate what Nerdsy Words said. Spiders. We have a little one that lives behind our kitchen sink. We refrain from sucking her into the Shop-Vac and let her have all the flies, and she in return doesn't make webs all over the counter. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Joycecwilliams
01-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Move to NH we don't have cockroaches, or termites here. It's too cold. However we have the dreaded black from Mother's day til Father's Day and they will drive you nuts.. they are itsy, bitsy bugs that bite 1000 times more than a mosquito. I think they are our state bird. :)

ErylRavenwell
01-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Well. You need spiders. One of the very few natural enemies of the cockroach.

here's a link, maybe it'll be helpful:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IG105

also - natural remedies: (scroll down the page a bit to pest control)

http://www.figtree.org.au/natural_pest_control.html

Yes, spiders are like the lions of the insect world (although they are not insects per se). I have a huge and colourful tarantula pet (so huge it can kill a mouse) called Ungoliant, and it never ceases to fascinate me.

Shady Lane
01-08-2008, 08:50 AM
I would move.

I'm not exaggerating. I would actually move.

I'm not afraid of bugs in that, "Ooh, I'm cute and helpless way." I'm afraid in the "I am going to cry and close my eyes and freak. the. hell. out." way.

So yeah. I would actually move.

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 09:11 PM
UPDATE: We found the bugger last night & my husband killed him. Then, during a midnight bathroom run (perhaps I should just stay in bed) I spotted another one peeking at me from the guest bedroom. Killed him, too, after a small chase.

This morning we prayed down the kitchen and creatures are coming out of the woodwork. Including one final cockroach that tried to dive-bomb me. I think it was revenge for killing his family. He's dead too.

I feel much better now. :D

quickWit
01-08-2008, 09:16 PM
UPDATE:This morning we prayed down the kitchen and creatures are coming out of the woodwork.

Prayed down the kitchen? What are you, some kind of religious zealot, hoo-haa?

Morning, bye the way.

Storm Dream
01-08-2008, 10:09 PM
*whimpers* It's staring at me....

melaniehoo
01-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Sprayed. Not prayed, although maybe that would've helped.