Yuck, yuck, yuck!

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Why, why, WHY do cockroaches insist on scaring the crap out of me?

I was just in the bathroom, and while sitting there, grabbed a new roll of toilet paper to replace the empty one. When I pushed the springy thing through the roll, a giant cockroach scurried out the other end.

OVER MY FINGERS!

I can't remember the last time I screamed that loud. I ran to get the bug spray (which was already out to kill ants) and when I got back, he was gone.

WHY do they do this to me? We aren't dirty, we just don't have screens and all sorts of creatures come in. The other day a gecko died while still clinging to the wall & I didn't notice until it was covered with over 50 ants.

GROSS!

A couple nights ago I almost stepped on one that was over two inches long on a midnight bathroom run. I don't know what to do. I'm at the point where I'm imagining things crawling on me.

Suggestions?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
this remembers me the time I had a Kafka dream and when I woke up I have three roaches walking on top of me!

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any suggestions, Mel, but I sympathize with you.

When I was first married we lived in a trailer, which I was not particularly fond of but it was what we could afford at the time. Well, one day a HUGE cockroach came crawling down the hallway. This was the kind of cockroach you can only find down south and in homes of our migrant population (because they come in on their belongings)...it was probably 3 inches long. Ugh. I immediately started crying because I didn't want to be "trailer trash". The exterminator took care of the problem.

BTW...my ex is a police officer and earlier that day he'd done a home visit with FIA and the house was infested with these giant cockroaches...he'd brought it home with him on his clothes somewhere. How icky is that?! :)

I hate cockroaches!

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Eww! Max, that doesn't help. We had to sleep with a mosquito net before we moved here but I thought we were safe since we're on the fourth floor.

We have spiders, but nothing big. I refuse to click on that link because I'm sure it's something else that'll creep me out.

Ugh, every time my air brushes against me I think it's a BUG!

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I don't have any suggestions, Mel, but I sympathize with you.

When I was first married we lived in a trailer, which I was not particularly fond of but it was what we could afford at the time. Well, one day a HUGE cockroach came crawling down the hallway. This was the kind of cockroach you can only find down south and in homes of our migrant population (because they come in on their belongings)...it was probably 3 inches long. Ugh. I immediately started crying because I didn't want to be "trailer trash". The exterminator took care of the problem.

BTW...my ex is a police officer and earlier that day he'd done a home visit with FIA and the house was infested with these giant cockroaches...he'd brought it home with him on his clothes somewhere. How icky is that?! :)

I hate cockroaches!

Thanks. They never seem to come out when my husband is home. I've gotten good at flinging them off the deck with a broom, but this was in the bathroom & nowhere near a door.

The two-incher I chased out the front door with hairspray. :D

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Eww! Max, that doesn't help. We had to sleep with a mosquito net before we moved here but I thought we were safe since we're on the fourth floor.

We have spiders, but nothing big. I refuse to click on that link because I'm sure it's something else that'll creep me out.

Ugh, every time my air brushes against me I think it's a BUG!

No, no, it's just an educational thing, the first link. Try the natural stuff in the second link I edited in. It does work. And no nasty carcinogenic chems.

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
No, no, it's just an educational thing, the first link. Try the natural stuff in the second link I edited in. It does work. And no nasty carcinogenic chems.

Ooh, that has some good suggestions.

Side note, I think it's funny they have solutions to get rid of other pests, like cats and dogs.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
For the second time today I must reply to one of your posts with an

Ewwwwwwww!

Sorry, I have no advice other than to sleep with the lights on.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well, sometimes you get used to, Mel. Like me; I don't bother when I see it but still me asquea tocarlas

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I've gotten better. The gecko the shot out of the cupboard scared me more than a normal cockroach on the floor, but THIS made me scream like a little girl. The fact that I hunted for him tells me I'm a little better than when I first arrived.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Very good example of showing vs. telling, Melaniethat. I felt like I was sitting on the can with you.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
here's the bad thing about cockroaches - once they move into someplace they are almost impossible to get rid of, unless professionally exterminated. And even then, they'll often come back.

Truth is, the little buggers are everywhere, and it often makes no difference how clean you are. While they are attracted to some places more than others, they aren't that picky. :) And given your location, which is warm and ideal for them, you may be seeing them for a long time.

Don't freak about the lizards, though. They eat bugs, too. :D

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
By the way, once my grandma suffered something quite similar that your bathroom expirience... except it was a frog...

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
here's the bad thing about cockroaches - once they move into someplace they are almost impossible to get rid of, unless professionally exterminated. And even then, they'll often come back.

Truth is, the little buggers are everywhere, and it often makes no difference how clean you are. While they are attracted to some places more than others, they aren't that picky. :) And given your location, which is warm and ideal for them, you may be seeing them for a long time.

Don't freak about the lizards, though. They eat bugs, too. :D

By the way, once my grandma suffered something quite similar that your bathroom expirience... except it was a frog...

Lizards & frogs I have no problem. It's things with extra legs that creep me out. When we slept with the net, they exterminated & cockroaches were raining from the ceiling.

Sunkissed27f

Banned
Reaction score
Little jars of water laced with sugar or honey (on windowsills) ants crawl in and drown....wahhahaha.

Or you can line pest glue traps all long the window edges....you know like the ones they use for mice. I used to tack these all along the window when we were in Italy....no screens there either.

But some cockroaches fly...so you know.....might not help.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
You mentioned allergies -

from the first link I put up for you -

"Controlling a cockroach infestation is not simply a matter of aesthetics. Large indoor cockroach populations are one of the leading causes of allergies, asthma and other bronchial disorders in humans. Additionally, cockroaches are capable of carrying disease organisms and bacteria on their bodies and in their fecal material."

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Lizards & frogs I have no problem. It's things with extra legs that creep me out. When we slept with the net, they exterminated & cockroaches were raining from the ceiling.

I mean, she went to the bathroom in middle of the night and when she sat, there was a frog! (my grandparents live next to a forest) and the frog estaba chupando sus nalgas