A Bit of Fry and Laurie - Rapid Fire WhatTheHell?

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shufflingandmuttering.blogspot.com
By this point in time, nearly everyone knows Hugh Laurie from his misanthropic, limping character, Dr. Gregory House. People may or may not know Stephen Fry, who is more or less an icon in Britain but in America is often relegated to voiceovers and cameos as an Extremely English Person – you would probably recognize him on sight as “that British Guy.”

What you probably don’t know is that during the 1990’s both of them managed to produce one of the smartest and most bizarre sketch comedy series since Monty Python, that show being A Bit of Fry and Laurie. It may even come as a surprise at this point in the game that Hugh Laurie is British, though I hope not, and furthermore had an extremely successful comedy career back home across the pond. If you know Blackadder, you probably recognize the both of them from Hugh Laurie’s portrayals of various fumbling twits throughout the ages, and Fry’s domineering, bellowing figures of authority.

A Bit of Fry and Laurie does a complete 180 on much of what you know and expect from them. (If anything.) I hadn’t heard of it before reading about it on Wikipedia and then numerous sketches found on YouTube. What I’ve found, however, has been nothing short of a delight, and with the strike effectively going cold turkey on all of our television needs I thought it'd be worth introducing this show to anyone who hasn't heard of it.

Just as a taster, here’s a favorite in which Stephen Fry demonstrates his “Dancersizing” technique, in which you get the rare but valuable sight of seeing a six-and-a-half foot tall homosexual Jewish Brit twist around like he has a serious medical problem: http://youtube.com/watch?v=aZUU31kHrnw

Written and performed by the pair, the show is extremely unorthodox, following a consistently changing format of sketches, direct addresses to the crowd from the two actors, and manic “Vox Pops,” in which the pair appear for a handful of seconds around London dressed as a variety of characters to deliver one or two perplexing and often self-contradictory statements before moving on. Nothing beats seeing Hugh Laurie in drag saying, “There was a pneumatic drill outside our house all night last night. …fortunately, it wasn’t turned on,” before suddenly changing to the next sequence.

The most consistent theme of the show is florid, quick-moving wordplay of the strangest kind. Often it features Stephen Fry delivering an eccentric, illogical, and usually sexual speech with a very academic demeanor. Below is one of their best sketches about the marvelous nature of language, in which Fry manages to say quite a lot without actually saying anything at all:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZFD01r6ersw

Another fun aspect of the show is that it showcases Laurie’s considerable but often underused musical talent – many episodes end with Hugh playing the piano as Fry bids everyone goodnight. Towards seasons three and four, the show habitually ends with Fry making an extremely odd cocktail (examples include “A Long Slow Snog With a Distant Relative”), then turning to Laurie and saying, “Please, Mr. Music, will you play?” and then dancing around shaking the cocktail while Laurie plays a jaunty jazz piece, providing his own accompaniment as a trumpet (by making trumpet noises with his mouth). Fry uses his size to great effect during this, usually putting the shaker down his pants or between his legs and flying across the stage, thrusting his hips in a very suggestive manner. In season four, Fry, Laurie, and their guests lift their glasses at the end of the show and all say together, "Soupy twist," a nonsense term that probably doesn't mean anything at all. Example here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gf73iJ31Heg&feature=related

Here’s one of their fun duos mocking America, called “Kicking Ass”: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6riY-103vbc

Neither of them have any problem breaking the fourth wall – sketches often end with them addressing the audience or each other about how, say, the audience can phone in with a suitable punchline for this sketch, or even walking into the audience and bellowing into their faces. Here the pair of them berate their audience for laughing at things which are distinctly not funny at all: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vKjJh1NJXf0

I’ve managed to get all four seasons of the show, and I have to admit that all of them are stellar except for the third season, in which I suspect Fry’s personal problems and studio intervention were hampering things. The fourth season may be their best, as they revert to a somewhat-stable format in which they introduce a pair of minor comedy stars to be used in the sketch, and then interview them in the least effective way possible. Usually their introductions are misleading and make no sense, such as saying one star is an “amateur professional” or, well… You’ll see why this is so hard to describe here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=237GLvFUxi0

If you happen to be in England you may have already heard of this show, but to most Americans I suspect it’s a complete surprise. It seems like most people over here have never heard of Blackadder, let alone this show, which, admittedly, may be less accessible for some. The show is often cerebral, dense, and challengingly strange – for example, in the first episode one “sketch” is just a close-up, black-and-white shot of Hugh Laurie’s armpit as he applies spray-on deodorant without end and rhapsodizes about the qualities of said deodorant in a nasal, American twang. In another sketch Stephen Fry reads a note he found “while going through my Uncle’s hair-dryers” which is a letter from the chief of a housing board that is either bureaucratically boring or explicitly homosexual. To call it “experimental” would probably do injustice to experiments everywhere. Then again, hearing Stephen Fry discuss anything sexual in his avuncular, beaming tone is always funny. I still don’t know why America doesn’t use the word “trousers” more often, it’s hilarious.

Anyways, I enjoy the hell out of this show, and maybe you will too if you haven’t already. Maybe you’ll see a side to actors you know well that you never expected – I suspected seeing Dr. House bounce around like a cartoon character may be a new one on a lot of people, as Hugh Laurie proves himself to be a physical comedian on the level of Stan Laurel or Charlie Chaplin. If this is your first introduction to Stephen Fry, well, you’re missing out on a great gem – he radiates benevolent intelligence and, more to the point, knows it, and uses this quality well when, say, discussing how lovely and beautiful he is or how to operate a cigarette case.

It’s likely this already has a cult following in Britain, so I may be preaching to the choir in that regard. But this is something so much fun it’d be a shame for more people to miss it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
By this point in time, nearly everyone knows Hugh Laurie from his misanthropic, limping character, Dr. Gregory House.

Nope. Still can't take him seriously as a straight actor. I see him as a comedian first and foremost and I've never seen one episode of House.

People may or may not know Stephen Fry, who is more or less an icon in Britain but in America is often relegated to voiceovers and cameos as an Extremely English Person – you would probably recognize him on sight as “that British Guy.”

Not know Stephen Fry? Not know Stephen Fry???

...If you happen to be in England you may have already heard of this show...

Used to watch it all the time when it was on and I'm not even in England!

But then again, 'Britain' and 'England' are not interchangeable terms. We even have television in Scotland! After all, we invented it, racially.

...If this is your first introduction to Stephen Fry, well, you’re missing out on a great gem...

Anyone who doesn't know The Fry deserves a swift kick in the knackers!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I have four series on DVD. Hugh Laurie singing 'Hey Jude' with a squeaky helium-style voice was the funniest thing I'd seen in ages.

I also can't take Hugh Laurie serious. I grew up watching him in comedy. And I heart Stephen Fry.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
They also were in this Wooster and Jeeves miniseries, there is where I first saw them; then in Blackadeer and I think they work great together

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Nice post, SN, the world should know of these things.

It took me a while to get into House because I was so used to HL in comedy roles, and because I knew his American accent was fake, so I needed time to build up suspension of disbelief. Got there eventually.

-Derek

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
The colonies seem to be even further removed from civilisation than I thought. Apparently, they don't even get Blackadder.*Puts boots on*

I "get" Blackadder. I've seen not all but many of the Fry/Laurie sketches. Yes, I even know that Laurie is British, not American. I know, among many other things, that Stephen Fry portrayed Oscar Wilde brilliantly, recently had some guest shots as a shrink on the series "Bones", went through a terrible bout with depression, and that his latest published release in the colonies is entitled The Ode Less Traveled.

I'm glad the o.p. posted for those who aren't familiar with the range of Fry or Laurie. But some of us over here actually are, go figure.

Last edited:

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't being THAT offensive. I merely meant Blackadder isn't aired over there. Since Mr Fry is in almost every episode of Blackadder. Hence not knowing who he is.

Okay. Sorry. I mean, this is all we get anymore, that we're all a bunch of farkin' insular 500 lb. jackasses. I misinterpreted, and I apologize.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I thought their portrayal of Jeeves and Wooster caught the spirit of the books beautifully.
For my money Blackadder II was the best series, though the Third and Fourth are not far behind.

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just the other day I was talking to a friend's mom who caught Hugh on Leno, and she was shocked to find that not only is he British, but he was also very polite in person.

Yes, I'd say the average American is only skirtingly familiar with Stephen Fry, sadly enough. I originally came to know the pair from the Jeeves and Wooster shows they used to put on PBS when I was a kid. I distinctly remember seeing an ad for House much, much later, and thinking, "That crappy-looking guy on the new doctor show looks a hell of a lot like Hugh Laurie," and then promptly forgetting it. Consequently, I missed the whole first season.

As far as Fry goes, there's not much we would know him from, as the only things that he's done that pop up over here in the past decade have been Wilde, a brief cameo in Gosford Park, and another Blackadder special. He's also been the voice of the Guide in The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the voice of the Librarian in Mirrormask. He's also voiced the Harry Potter books, but I think that may only be in the UK versions, sadly enough. Regardless, here he's not the pillar of television and wit that he is over there. We don't have QI.

Well, he was also in Spice World. But we all know that doesn't count.

And scarlet, was my post the direct cause of your new avatar, or was it just wonderful coincidence?

Also, while driving to work just now I decided the next dog I get is going to be named "Trousers."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, your thread caused my av-change. I happened to have a photo of The Fry in my alternative avatars folder (yes, I do have one and they're not all photos of me)!

Also, t'Fry was in a fillum called Peter's Friends. You need to see it.

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's possible QI may exist on some backwater BBC channel that cable gets - I do have some BBC channels myself, but the only thing to watch on that seems to be Top Gear and Kitchen Nightmares. However, no, I've never seen an episode of QI. Though from its substantial quote list in wikipedia I can only assume I'm missing quite a bit.

On the other hand, I can understand why it's not on over here. It's fairly insular to the UK - I expect you all don't get Conan O'Brien or maybe the Daily Show. You may, but I'd be surprised if you did.

Reaction score
Perhaps some sort of charity fundraiser to bring QI to the colonies is in order.

Reaction score
It's possible QI may exist on some backwater BBC channel that cable gets - I do have some BBC channels myself, but the only thing to watch on that seems to be Top Gear and Kitchen Nightmares. However, no, I've never seen an episode of QI. Though from its substantial quote list in wikipedia I can only assume I'm missing quite a bit.

On the other hand, I can understand why it's not on over here. It's fairly insular to the UK - I expect you all don't get Conan O'Brien or maybe the Daily Show. You may, but I'd be surprised if you did.

QI crosses all cultural boundaries. It brings people together. It's a beautiful thing.

Plus, it's on Channel Dave in ten minutes.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
SP, didn't you have the Fryster up briefly once, a while back? Very glad he's returned. Maybe we fans should all be called Frybabies. :D

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
It's possible QI may exist on some backwater BBC channel that cable gets - I do have some BBC channels myself, but the only thing to watch on that seems to be Top Gear and Kitchen Nightmares.
QI isn't on in the colonies.
But QI has a HUGE following.
There was an online petition to get them to release it on DVD. The first series is out. And word has it that series two is out soon.
There's a similar petition to get it aired in the colonies.

Oh, and by the by, Top Gear is definitely worth a watch or six. :)
I expect you all don't get Conan O'Brien or maybe the Daily Show. You may, but I'd be surprised if you did.
Prepare to be surprised.
We DO get the Daily Show (a day late), I watch it sometimes. It's rather good.
It's quite like if Have I Got News For You wasn't a quiz show

QI crosses all cultural boundaries. It brings people together. It's a beautiful thing.
Yup. It's not British in essence, unless Americans are all really thick.
And they're not.

Plus, it's on Channel Dave in ten minutes.
Yeah!
I just watched Whose line is it Anyway, then Sabine Schmidt on Top Gear, now QI. Is this the best channel ever?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Get only get these things from Britland: Coupling, Dr. Who, Torchwood, Ali G, The Office, The IT Crowd, People Like Us (on cable) Mr. Bean and Benny Hill (On regular TV)