Revision Acceptance

louet

How often do agents offer representation after seeing a revised manuscript? It seems that many people will say that an agent asked for a revision and passed, and that revisions led to a better manuscript, but I haven't heard success stories of people snagging agents through revisions.

Does it happen? If so, does it happen often?

Thank you in advance.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Mine, too, though the revision was only at the very end. Another wanted to see a revised version and ended up passing, even though that was the same one my agent accepted.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
My now-agent offered representation after I made revisions based on her feedback. (Even if she didn't make an offer, I knew I would have a stronger book to submit to other agents.)

Whether this type of scenario happens often, I have no idea. But I think the chances of finding representation are improved if an agent is asking for revisions.

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
I have a lot of friends who have signed with an agent after doing revisions for them -- it definitely happens. An agent won't put the effort into giving revision requests and asking to see the material again if they're not interested.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
And it worked for me too. Best of all, it gave me a chance to see how my now agent works.

louet

Wow. It looks as though it's more likely than I thought! :)

I better work hard on this rewrite then. Thank you everyone!

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Oh boy, does this give me hope. :)

Good luck, louet!

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
For me, revision and phone calls both did not lead to repping. :)

sheridan3003

Registered
Reaction score
Revisions

For me, revision and phone calls both did not lead to repping. :)

Agents will ask for revisions?

I thought, based on reading a number of things here, that when you sent the ms to the agent, that was it. The ms was finished, complete, done.

How many people have had agents suggest revisions?

How drastic are these revisions?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Sending out an MS that the author thinks is finished doesn't always mean the MS is finished. Agents often work with their authors to improve their MSs before signing them on. The reason can be two fold: to make the work totally awesome to send out to editors, and to see if the author is capable of editing and taking suggestions in the first place.

It has happened to almost every author I know.

Before I signed with my agent she asked me to cut my book by 10 000 words and shorten the chapters. I did so, and the book was SO MUCH better for it.

How much the author needs to edit varies. But chances are the request being made by the agent is no different than what an editor would request later on. Editing isn't evil, or there to change the work. But to improve it. I firmly believe that. And don't forget as an author, you are always allowed to say no.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I believe you are asking that if the agent has rejected your MS and then you revise it anyway, should you send it to them again? Is that correct?

For that I can't say for sure seeing as I am not an agent. But I can speculate, just don't take my word as law or anything. If an agent rejected a full, had a few suggestions but said they were going to pass, I think there was probably something fundamental about the MS that just didn't click with the agent. Otherwise I would assume they would ask for revisions and have it resubmitted. But it's tricky, and it would depend on your relationship with that agent up until that point. I also think if they have read your full, you could be within your rights to simply ask, "And if I make these changes would you be interested in seeing the MS again?" Of course if the agent says "No" it's important to simply say thank you and move on.

Hope this helps.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
I've got an agent asking me to do revisions. Here's a random question for those who have been in this boat.

Did you have other fulls and partials out with other agents when you chose to do the revisions? Did you let any of those other agents know that someone else was asking for revisions?

I know if you get an offer of representation, it is polite to let the other agents know before you accept. Is there similar etiquette in the case of revisions?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Did you let any of those other agents know that someone else was asking for revisions?

I know if you get an offer of representation, it is polite to let the other agents know before you accept. Is there similar etiquette in the case of revisions?

No. There's no need to do that, and my guess is that it would come off as you trying to pressure the other agents into a decision.