Dawno's Etsy Shop is Open for Business!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
A friend of mine pointed me to Etsy ages ago and I finally took a look. It's a great marketplace for handmade goods. I've started putting up all my beaded jewelry there - I have 10 items up as of now and hope to add more every day. All my pieces are displayed at Flickr, and I'll eventually get them on Etsy, too. If you see something of mine on Flickr that you like that's not on Etsy, just let me know and I'll get it posted there for you asap.

Thanks!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As the proud owner of one of Dawno's creations, I can say with confidence that if you buy something, you will not be disappointed. She's also the kind of business person who packs her goods carefully for shipping and includes care instructions. She even advised me that the beads I'd chosen were among the heaviest and was that okay?

Maryn, who has not mislaid her upstairs reading glasses since her lanyard arrived

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I can heartily second Maryn's endorsement. I, too, purchased one of Dawno's lanyards - and I've worn it as both the reins for my glasses and as a necklace - they're convertible! I've gotten many compliments on it, too! The quality is incredible... if you've had trouble with those flimsy things available at the local Walmart or Walgreens, you'll appreciate the strength of the materials used to put together these beautiful beads.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The lanyards are pretty strong then? I need one for my office key card but one one with maximim style not the usual plastic tape ;)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
veinglory, these are durable and quite beautiful. If you have to wear ID, it's the classy way to go!

Maryn, whose identity remains a mystery

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The lanyards are pretty strong then? I need one for my office key card but one one with maximim style not the usual plastic tape ;)

I make the lanyards with a nylon coated, multiple strand, beading wire and use a number of components in the fasteners to make them extra sturdy. There's about 10lbs test weight on the wire (thinner ones for small beads are around 8, thicker ones up to 15). They can break if really stressed, like if it catches on something and you pull hard. A clip-on badge retractor might help if you think you'd be pulling on the necklace a lot. I can put a loop in the package if you have a clip-on retractor or add one of them, too.

Check my Flickr page and let me know what you like - there's a discount to AW members that I can't do on Etsy. If you don't see something, give me an idea of what you want and I'll make a custom one.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've added new items - have 20 up now. Any feedback you'd like to give about the designs, prices, pictures - all welcome here or via PM. You can also email me (check my profile page for the email feature).

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread merits a gentle bump because I continue to be more than pleased with my glasses chain.

I don't know if it was intentional, but there's a single tiny gold bead among the hundreds of silver ones, and that adds to its charm.

So please click on the link if you're in need of a gift, or deserve one yourself.

Maryn, who knows you've been good

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread merits a gentle bump because I continue to be more than pleased with my glasses chain.

I don't know if it was intentional, but there's a single tiny gold bead among the hundreds of silver ones, and that adds to its charm.

So please click on the link if you're in need of a gift, or deserve one yourself.

Maryn, who knows you've been good

Yikes! I'm so glad you find that charming. It's one of the things I try to scan for before I send something off - I better get new glasses! :)

Thank you so much, Maryn, for the bump. I'm so thrilled you like your eyeglass chain. I've got a bunch of new items I'll be putting up soon with spring colors.

One of the suggestions I had from a friend was that when I wear my stuff it's coordinated with my outfit and other jewelry and I should try to show live model shots like that. What do you think? Since I only have those tiny squares to make my presentation, would it be a waste of effort?

Also, I'm thinking about starting an email list to send a reminder out when there's new stuff posted - if that's something anyone would be interested in getting, please email me at ohdawnoATgmailDotcom. Just put: Email me about Beads in the subject.

Last edited:

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! I'm so glad you find that charming. It's one of the things I try to scan for before I send something off - I better get new glasses! :)

Thank you so much, Maryn, for the bump. I'm so thrilled you like your eyeglass chain. I've got a bunch of new items I'll be putting up soon with spring colors.

One of the suggestions I had from a friend was that when I wear my stuff it's coordinated with my outfit and other jewelry and I should try to show live model shots like that. What do you think? Since I only have those tiny squares to make my presentation, would it be a waste of effort?

Also, I'm thinking about starting an email list to send a reminder out when there's new stuff posted - if that's something anyone would be interested in getting, please email me at ohdawnoATgmailDotcom. Just put: Email me about Beads in the subject.
I've been looking at it Dawno, I'd wouldn't put a live model, it distracts, def, imo. They look great, bump this thread for your Spring--when will you put them up?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some this weekend, so checking before Sunday night probably would be futile :) More as I finish them - probably next weekend. I'll bump the thread when I add new stuff. Thanks!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that these goods won't display any better with a live model. You could buy some yard goods to emphasize colors, I suppose; crumpled velvet, velour, or satin can photograph really nicely.

For a short time, my daughter and I sold a few goth clothing items. Live models seemed worthwhile, but it got to be a hassle if it didn't fit her or me. Eventually we bought a couple yards of deep red satin and draped it artfully, then just laid the clothes on it for their photograph.

Maryn, who still has several tubs of dramatic black clothing

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...You could buy some yard goods to emphasize colors, I suppose; crumpled velvet, velour, or satin can photograph really nicely...

I've been using scarves - I had quite an assortment and hit a bonanza at a vintage clothing shop in Huntington Beach that had a trunk full at $5 each - some of them were beautiful silk scarves in great condition, too.

ETA - I had to run an errand shortly after I posted this and when I got back there was a message in my email - that I'd sold another piece on Etsy! I don't know if the buyer found me on Etsy, through my little Google Ad Words ad or here, but whoopee!

Marketing isn't something I have figured out yet, but it's high on the list...

Last edited:

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine pointed me to Etsy ages ago and I finally took a look. It's a great marketplace for handmade goods. I've started putting up all my beaded jewelry there - I have 10 items up as of now and hope to add more every day. All my pieces are displayed at Flickr, and I'll eventually get them on Etsy, too. If you see something of mine on Flickr that you like that's not on Etsy, just let me know and I'll get it posted there for you asap.

Thanks!

Dawno! Those look great! I'm amazed at the beauty of the jewelry. May you sell more than you can make.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, bluntforcetrauma. I've been busy today doing some updates to my pictures and am adding new pieces. Put a couple on sale and adjusted prices down on others so they'd be the same as the prices on later pieces that were similar.

The other day I created a bunch of water bottle charms - like wine glass charms - and gave them as gifts to my colleages at work. We were having all day meetings last week and someone said "is that my water or yours" and I got the idea that it would be cute to put a little charm on the bottle to identify it. Saves waste, too - lots of folk just open a new bottle rather than chance that they're picking up someone else's. I used a number of different types and colors of beads, it was fun figuring out how to do and the gals seemed to like them a lot. The one shown was an early attempt - I got much better after a number of tries :)

waterbottlecharm-1.jpg

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi again - I apologize for what looks like a blatant attempt to get attention :) but today I had a live online critique of my storefront (Etsy has some really cool forums and features - I think it's a wonderful site). I've decided to give some of the ideas a try and so the look of my listings and my store are a bit different.

If you're into that sort of thing, would you give it a peek and tell me what you think? My store URL is in my sig.

Thanks!

ETA - sold another piece today! And I have a custom design request to work on.
I just finished a piece with lapis lazuli, sterling silver and heavy plated gold beads. I'm debating whether or not to sell it. One, because I really like it and want to keep it for myself :D and two, I'd have to price it at about $60 and I'm not sure if anyone would buy it.

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been busy making new stuff and will be posting it soon. Also started a new blog (see sig). Registered a new domain, too, so I can eventually control the whole process. Etsy is great and so easy to use, but if I'm going to get serious about this, I need my own website. I'm working on the webdesign - it's currently up at www.ohdawno.org/beaded if you want to take a look - I'd love to hear your feedback!

Meanwhile I have a special custom order I'm working on for an AW member's wedding jewelry! I hope she likes it - when I'm all done and know she's satisfied with the results, I'll post some pics with her permission.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Working on some Red, White, and Blue necklace lanyards for Memorial Day/4th of July - or whatever patriotic reason you might want to wear them for. Two are up on my Etsy site, the others will go up when my shipment of clasps comes in, but I'll post a picture of them sans clasps on my beading blog later tonight.

AW members should write me directly, if interested in buying one, and get a good discount from my listed prices. :) I also take custom orders.