Email Query to Snail Mail Query

mylael

Registered
Reaction score
Website
molsey.dreamhost.com
I received a reply from agent to a recent email query. She asked me to send her the first three chapters, a synopsis and a query via snail mail.

Now, I realize she needs the query in that envelope because otherwise she probably would not know who the heck sent the darn envelope. But my question is, should I alter the query from its original (email) form? (I don't mean formatting, I mean content.)

Do I mention, in this snail mail query, that I previously sent her an email query and that she has requested this snail mail package? Where do I mention that -- in the first paragraph? Second? Last? What do I say?

Also, I heard somewhere that you should somehow indicate on the outside of the envelope that what you are sending was requested. Is this true? Where you do write it? What do you write, exactly?

Thanks!

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
hi there ! I have some thoughts for you:

I received a reply from agent to a recent email query. She asked me to send her the first three chapters, a synopsis and a query via snail mail.

congratulations! (Although I'm wondering...does she definitely accept email queries? because this almost sounds like she could be redirecting you to submit to her that way--i could be wrong, but if not, all you need to do is ignore my responses below and query her as you would by snail mail).

Now, I realize she needs the query in that envelope because otherwise she probably would not know who the heck sent the darn envelope. But my question is, should I alter the query from its original (email) form? (I don't mean formatting, I mean content.)

send a copy of the original query

Do I mention, in this snail mail query, that I previously sent her an email query and that she has requested this snail mail package? Where do I mention that -- in the first paragraph? Second? Last? What do I say?

Write a brief cover letter, a la

Dear Agent,

Thanks for considering material from my story, TITLE, which you requested by email on DATE. I've enclosed a copy of the query to refresh your memory. I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Sincerely,

Moi
(okay, kidding about that last bit)

Also, I heard somewhere that you should somehow indicate on the outside of the envelope that what you are sending was requested. Is this true? Where you do write it? What do you write, exactly?

others may advise differently, but I always write "Requested material enclosed" in the very bottom left hand corner. Somewhere in this vast community is a thread about this, so try a search. Good luck!

Thanks!

mylael

Registered
Reaction score
Website
molsey.dreamhost.com
I did everything she requested on her website's "submissions" page, so I think this is just step 2. Thank you for your advice. A cover letter sounds good. I will go ahead and search for that other information, as you advised.

Thanks again!