Market for mountain bike writing?

Bluebug32

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a female mountain biker and professional writer looking to combine the two. Many of the mountain bike mags seem slow to reply, if at all, to queries. Does anyone have suggestions for other markets to try? Online or print?

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
A quick scan of periodical shelves seems to indicate every other mag is devoted to either diet or fitness or both. I certainly think many of the fitness and/or outdoor-related could be receptive to the proper pitch. A how-to-get-started article could get your toe in the door but you'd have to search back issues to ensure it hasn't been done by that particular periodical recently.

As to specific markets, you might start check out Outside magazine for starters. I'm not familiar enough with the fitness markets to suggest others but a visit to your library or large mag retailer should provide you with some leads.

Good luck.

Bluebug32

Registered
Reaction score
A quick scan of periodical shelves seems to indicate every other mag is devoted to either diet or fitness or both. I certainly think many of the fitness and/or outdoor-related could be receptive to the proper pitch. A how-to-get-started article could get your toe in the door but you'd have to search back issues to ensure it hasn't been done by that particular periodical recently.

As to specific markets, you might start check out Outside magazine for starters. I'm not familiar enough with the fitness markets to suggest others but a visit to your library or large mag retailer should provide you with some leads.

Good luck.

Thanks! You're right in that I should try something more broad and not just mountain bike magazines.

Herb Witch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
herbsspices.suite101.com
I'm a female mountain biker and professional writer looking to combine the two. Many of the mountain bike mags seem slow to reply, if at all, to queries. Does anyone have suggestions for other markets to try? Online or print?

I don't have any magazines to suggest. But let me know if you get any bike related articles published, online or in print publications. One of my blogs is the Bike Diva - always looking for material to add to that site.:D

I'm mostly a roadie, but I own a mtn bike too (and a beach cruiser, and might be getting an urban bike in the future). Yep, I'm a bike addict!

Have you heard of Helium.com? If you go to their marketplace section, there are often calls for specific articles that bicycling and cycling magazine are looking to have written. The articles don't pay a huge amount, anywhere from $15 to $120, but it might be a way for you to get your foot in the door.