Looking for stat: Percentage of nonfic vs. fic?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I remember reading a statistic that something like 70-80% of all books sold are nonfiction, but I can't remember where I saw that stat, or the exact figure. I want to use it in an article. Anyone know?

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
I think Larsen and Pomada made similar comments in Vater's older agent book. Dunno where they got the stat, but it seems about right to moi.
Sigh.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Thanks! I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, but something close enough: Bowker (the ISBN agency) states that less than 10 percent of all books published are novels. That doesn't mean the same thing as less than 10 percent of all books sold, however. I wish there was a reliable way to track book sales.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, but something close enough: Bowker (the ISBN agency) states that less than 10 percent of all books published are novels. That doesn't mean the same thing as less than 10 percent of all books sold, however. I wish there was a reliable way to track book sales.

Many non-fiction books have very limited sales. I have a dozen or so user manuals in print, with ISBNs even, but their total sales figures are in the 10s to low thousands for the most part. That really skews the figures.