How do you reconcile your readerly v. writerly opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard this talked about before on AW, but I don't think there's been a particular thread about it.

When we talk about published books or publishing in general, it's hard to prevent our experience as writers from influencing our opinions. For example, with books like The Da Vinci Code or Harry Potter, the reader in us may say "that was a fun read," while the writer in us may be screaming from the prose for one reason or another. Those titles are just ones that have come up often. Obviously, our opinions will differ among us all, but I'm sure we've all had that experience with some book--at least one time.

Similarly, we must have all had the experience that we've picked up a book, tried reading it, and threw it across the room for some reason, thinking "how did this EVER get published?" How much of that is coming from the reader in us? From the writer in us? Surely nonwriters must have had the same experience sometime, too, but is it any different for them?

I've often seen our criticisms of published books excused as "jealousy" or by saying "well someone must like it, because it's published, so it's not actually bad" or similar such things. While the former is a possibility and the second one is true to an extent because, well, it is published, does that invalidate our opinions that a book is "bad"? Is it the reader in us or the writer in us that believes it bad? Which is more valid? Can a book be bad if someone, somewhere likes it, and if so, who has the right to make that call?

Maybe I'm being confusing now.

So I guess I'm asking: do our opinions of published books and the publishing industry in general have any different weight (more, less, none?) than the general population? Do you enjoy books differently as a writer than you did as a reader? If a writer says a book is "bad" does it mean something different than if a reader says a book is "bad"?

Do you read different books to enjoy as a "reader" than you do as a "writer"? Or do you not differentiate? Do you think either is better than the other?

How do you think any of this impacts the way we seek publication?

The essence of this post is--how do you reconcile the writer in you with the reader in you?

Those are a lot of questions, but I'm just wondering what others think about their inner "reader" v. their inner "writer." I have some of my own ideas to the answers of these questions, but I'll post those later. I'd like to see what other people think about this. I'm just curious, because a few of the recent threads have brought up interesting criticisms and defenses of published books and the publishing industry, and it got me wondering how we look at such things differently as writers than readers.

geologism

Registered
Reaction score
Of course, writers notice different things with respect to what they're reading than non-writers do, which will greatly influence their opinion of the overall work. Some people are able to ignore this more than others. I think, for example, that J.K. Rowling is a horrible writer, but I began reading the books when I was young, so I was so attatched to the plot and characters that once I was old enough (and educated enough) to realize how terrible she is, I was able to put my hatred for her writing style aside and read the rest of the books. You don't really reconcile your readerly and writerly opinions of works--you just have to ignore one. Also, publishers sometimes publish things that are "bad" because they think it will sell. Publishers of nasty paperback romance novels know that the novels are bad, and of no literary consequence, but since most people are not as educated about literature as writers are, the publishers believe that the books will sell based on an interesting story or whatnot. Of course, everyone's opinion will vary based on what comprises a novel that will sell well, which explains why some books are published that, to you, are just all-around BAD. Yes, SOMEONE must have thought the book was decent, but that's not to say that that someone is particularly savvy about writing or has particularly good taste.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
If the story is good, I'll more than likely a bad style, awkward word choices or cliche plot twists. It doesn't mean I don't recognise them, it just doesn't ruin the experience for me.

If the story is crap, I just put it down, and down don't bother reading it.

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
Kuwisdelu, I'm glad you opened up this topic! I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say. (And, BTW, what do *you* think?)

I swoon over really good prose. I'll fold over corners of pages I want to read again and again.

As for good story/standard prose, I enjoy it just fine.

Good story/bad prose? I run away, run away! Unless I stay to gawk at the badness. But I don't "enjoy" it. Bad writing hurts.

I also differentiate between books that I personally dislike, but which I recognize to be "good", just not for me, and books that I consider downright bad. Bad, bad, bad! Yes, I will call a published book BAD, if I think it deserves it! Most of the published, lousy books I've come across recently have been late within series. I can't help but think that, had they been first books, they wouldn't have been picked up. I'm guessing the writers got proud and the editors got lazy. Cause, as you said above, some people think a published book HAS to be good, right? And also that a published writer must be a "good writer" (and, so, whatever they've written must be "good".)

Actually, I would agree that a published writer is by definition probably a "good writer", in that they are capable of good writing. But they can still write badly when the high standard of a breakthrough book isn't required of them.

Hey, I missed a combo above: good writing, LOUSY story. I read a mystery recently that was nicely written, a cut above standard--good sentences, good paragraphs--and horribly ill-constructed. Awful. Ghastly. I call it a Bad Book. (And, yes, it was late in a series.) So, it's not just that a good story can float standard or even bad writing into publication, but, apparently in this case, good writing floated a boring, unsuspenseful, and logically flawed story.

Ah, it feels good to get that off my chest!

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It's difficult for me to know whether it's my learning to write better that has influenced my reading taste or if I would have developed the same taste anyway. Since I learned most of what I know about writing during my high school years (not from school...just during), I can't very well tell whether writing has impacted my taste more of simply my formative years.

When I was younger, I enjoyed books my authors like Tom Clancy and Clive Cussler, because I found the stories interesting. But back then, I don't think I had any concept of any kind of prose sounding any better than any other kind--but that's mostly because I was in middle school and hadn't yet encountered many good books yet. The only good book my class read through all of middle school was The Great Gatsby. I wasn't old enough to appreciate it yet, because how many twelve year olds have been in love? I remember not minding it though (now it's one of my favorites), but just about all the other books we read grated on my mind. I remember even hating To Kill a Mockingbird which was my teacher's favorite book. I never knew why. I just didn't like it. Learning to write, however, revealed me part of why it failed for me--Atticus Finch is pretty much portrayed as an ideal character...without flaw...which makes him pretty boring.

By the time I started high school, I was beginning to find the books I'd been reading pretty boring. I wasn't sure why--they just began to seem unimportant to me. They told decent stories with decent plots, but that's about all. I didn't feel satisfied by that anymore. I started researching for better things to read and came across writers like Umberto Eco, Jorge Luis Borges, Thomas Pynchon, and Franz Kafka. I devoured Eco. I read a lot of Kafka and Borges. I tried some Pynchon. I was also just finishing my first attempt at a novel around this time, and it was heavily Eco-Kafka-Borges influenced. At this time, I wasn't really sure of how to write--I just was. So I think at this time, I was just trying to write what I liked: Eco and Kafka and Borges.

So I guess already my taste was getting more literary. Before I knew what good writing was, I was getting more attracted to interesting, experimental prose, and there was no going back. It was about the same time I read The Da Vinci Code and liked the story. I was too young and too inexperienced to notice anything particularly wrong with the writing yet, but I knew that I thought Foucault's Pendulum was much, much better.

Nowadays, I can't really get past the prose of most mainstream books. I know that sounds rather pretentious, but it just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I don't like prose that's meant to be "invisible." I like prose that'll make me go "ohh that's a cool way to put that." I like prose that'll make me think. I like prose that reads like poetry. That's what I started moving toward in my early teens, and "uninteresting" prose just doesn't stimulate me enough anymore. It's certainly great for the writer in me, because reading great writing like that inspires me, but even when thinking solely as a reader, I'm only attracted to books that not only have an interesting story, but poetic, experimental prose.

That's the kind of writing I moved toward in my early teen years, and I don't think it necessarily had anything to do with my writing. It just has to do with my natural impulses as a reader. That probably has something to do with what comes next....

I've gotten some flak for this before, but I'm going to be honest. I'm one of those people who thinks too much of the public in general has a love affair with crap. Not just in books, but with movies, music, whatever. Britney Spears is crap. Cheerleading movies are crap. I don't find any artistic value in those kind of things. That's my opinion as a moviegoer, music listener, etc. As a reader, I think lots of books are crap. They're just bad without any redeeming qualities to me.

I'm not that interested in the books I used to like anymore, but I know, at least, that they are decently written. Even books that I never used to like and still don't like, I know some of them are decently written. These are books by authors like Stephen King, etc. that I don't like their writing but I recognize--from the writer in me--that they're decently written. Not great like Joyce, but good and not to my taste.

The fact that a book is liked by someone--even a lot of people--doesn't excuse it from being bad. Others may explain this by saying we all have different tastes. Well, I have lots of friends with lots of different tastes. I have friends who have tastes in all different kinds of genres, but most of them I understand--and most of them find what I see as good books in those genres, even if *I* can't appreciate them because they're not to my taste. So when I think something is just plain bad--I think whoever likes it just plain has bad taste.

But that's what's going through my mind as a reader.

I think the reason a lot of people have a problem with that kind of thinking is that we can get into trouble if we let that influence the writer in us too much.

If we let that kind of thinking seep over into our "writer" brains too much, we can get disillusioned with the publishing industry as a writer. Sure, I'm disillusioned with it as a reader, because not every book I pick up off the shelf is golden--but that doesn't mean I'm disillusioned with it as a *writer.* That kind of thinking can lead to what we've seen in a few recent threads of people giving up on the point of getting published by normal means and turning to self-publishing, arrogance, etc.

I think as long as we remember that the publishing industry DOES have a certain standard of quality, we're okay. While I may be frustrated with the shelves as a reader, I can be certain I'd be more frustrated if I had to weed through all the self-published dreck out there.

I remember that getting published through normal means DOES imply a certain quality not found in the vanity houses. And that means getting published by a respectable publishing house will carry a great amount of satisfaction for me that self-publishing wouldn't. I'm not about to be so arrogant as to give up on editing, revising, improving, and seeking publication through normal means, which seems to be the only real danger in thinking the way I described above.

Wow. I'm awfully long-winded. Sorry for any typos in that long post.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I'm a grammar and spelling perfectionist and if I see anything in a book that I think is incorrect, it's going to bug me. For the rest: My main opinion is that books should be enjoyable and both my writerly and readerly mind agree on that, so there's nothing much to reconcile.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I definitely read things differently as writer and I find it somewhat disappointing. When I go back and reread something that I remember enjoying before I started seriously writing, I'm often surprised by just how poorly written it is. Often I'm able to get over it. If it's a riveting story, my 'reader brain' is able to smother my 'writer brain', and I still enjoy the story. But there have been several that I slogged through and then took to the charity shop. Somewhat regretfully, mind you. There was obviously something about the story that captured my attention in the first place, but sometimes things that I only notice as a writer (excessive head-hopping comes to mind...) just lessen that enjoyment for me.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I can read YA strictly as a reader. Laura Ingalls Wilder, L.M. Montgomery, J.K. Rowling, and argh! I can't remember her name but she wrote such books as "Wolf by the Ears", "The Coffin Quilt", and "The Finishing of Becca".

I think this is because I stuck strictly with YA while growing up by choice not because my parents wouldn't let me read adult books. While I enjoy YA immensely I have no desire to write it.

With science fiction I read it somewhat as a writer because this is the genre I love to write in. So I do look at it with a writer's eye. But my reader side can overcome writer fairly easy. Same with other genres my reader side can overcome my writer side very easily. Both sides have to be in agreement in order for me to put the book down. Usually.

I did read one YA where the first chapter was written in second person and then was basically rewritten in third person in the second chapter. Same chapter just in third person. I put the book down and didn't finish it.

I've been a reader since the age of 5 but only started writing since 18. So this might be why my reader side of me has more say than my writer side. It will probably change over the years.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader of fiction, I almost always read for plot (and as a reader of non-fiction, I almost always read for information). So I can tune out a lot of infelicities of prose, as long as the plot is compelling (or the information is interesting).

However, the one thing I can't deal with is error. If I'm reading a historical novel, and there's a glaring anachronism, the whole world is broken irretrievably. That's almost the only time I don't finish a book.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I read for fun. That's about as far as I get in my thought process. Some books achieve the status of art. They move me in such profound ways that I remember them for months, sometimes years, afterward.

But mostly I'm just looking for a cool diversion. Something entertaining. Fun.

If you look at literature in this way, you aren't so picky. I read reviews (never customer reviews; I'm not interested in the least in what customers have to say, because their reviews are mosttimes rooted in something that doesn't interest me), I find books that sound neat, and I read them.

There are books that sort of jar you out of their world because the craft is shaky, but if the writer is telling a good story and/or the language is right for the story and/or the characters are appealing, I'm in.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I'm able to switch off my writer's brain when reading for pleasure. The prose has to be REALLY annoying for me to put down the book, which I don't do often. At this point in my life the story is the most important thing and wonderful prose is like icing on the cake. My goal is simply to be entertained. But then, I have a tendency to read through books as if my life depended on it, so if I were to be too picky about "bad writing" I wouldn't be able to read nearly as much and I'd be bored out of my mind.

Most readers don't even notice the prose. They notice a great one liner maybe, but it's like the "said" tag... it's invisible to them. They just don't care.

When I read, I tend to focus on the better aspects of the book and take everything in as a whole. What is this author's strength? Maybe the writing is only so-so, but maybe the story is so greatly woven it outshines the mediocre writing (not talking about the concept or premise, but the entire story). I would have missed out on so many great stories if I set a book down purely based on prose. On the flip side I've picked up books with near flawless writing and been bored to tears. (sadly, some "classics" fall under this category)

It's never in my best interest to set something down based on only one unlikeable factor. That's like not watching a movie because you dislike one actor in the entire cast. I appreciate good prose when I come across it but it isn't the most important thing I look for in a book.

eek_a_snake

Registered
Reaction score
For me, I almost always read something first as a reader. The exception is when I'm reading something to critique, then the idea that I'm going to have to give feedback lurks in my subconcious.

Finding both good story and good prose is fantastic and I will often read those again critically, with a highlighter and a notebook and an eye toward learning just what it is that the author did that made me love it so much. Contrary to what I've heard, that doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the work; I appreciate something all the more when I better understand just how much artistry has gone into its construction.

I think that the one big influence a "writer" opinion has is on my initial choice of reading material. Since I've started writing, I don't just look for entertaining anymore. Not that there's anything wrong with entertaining, but just entertaining doesn't satisfy me, even as a reader.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Interesting thread. I agree with Will and Sassee. I read for pure diversion and for the story.

That being said, if the writing is cliche or adverb-y right from the get-go, I wanna barf. I will put it down. I (seriously) almost find it unfortunate that I love to write and am gaining more of a writer's mind everytime I have an "Ah-ha!" moment about the craft. It has truly diminished my capacity to ignore flaws some probably-perfectly-okay books. Savvy?

So, I either turn-off my writer's mind off as much as I can or I pick up a writer that although they may have a book here or there that doesn't thrill me, their actual writing doesn't let me down. (I won't name names *cough* Dean Koontz *cough**cough** Lee Child, Harlan Coben, Robert Crais, Alex Kava.)

Good thread.

~Thrill

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If my "inner writer" notices problems in a book, then it failed my "inner reader" and I generally sit down and analyze where the storytelling failed me before putting the book in the "to be donated" bag.

I sat down to read The DaVinci Code expecting to hate it. Totally fell into it, immersed utterly, and finished the entire book pretty much in on sitting a half hour before I had to go to work the next day. Later, I went back and looked at it with a writer's eye and discovered that he'd broken most every rule pounded into new writers, yet he made it totally work for me. It was a very enlightening moment for my "inner writer"--Nothing overcomes a damned good story if the prose is competent.

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
Nowadays, I can't really get past the prose of most mainstream books. I know that sounds rather pretentious, but it just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I don't like prose that's meant to be "invisible." I like prose that'll make me go "ohh that's a cool way to put that." I like prose that'll make me think. I like prose that reads like poetry. That's what I started moving toward in my early teens, and "uninteresting" prose just doesn't stimulate me enough anymore. It's certainly great for the writer in me, because reading great writing like that inspires me, but even when thinking solely as a reader, I'm only attracted to books that not only have an interesting story, but poetic, experimental prose.

I can very much enjoy plain prose carrying a lovely story. But I sure know what you mean about prose that is itself gripping, not just the means of communicating a gripping story.

I once read a writing book--you know, one of those that describes a principle, and then uses a book passage to illustrate it. I generally don't like those much--I often find the chosen passage to illustrate the principle just fine, but to be not much more than that. Not "artistic", if you know what I mean. Well, this one book used, as an example, a scene from Joyce's "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man." And, man, I almost fell over backward reading it. It was spectacular. And the only principle I learned from it was "be a genius". That's really all I could see at work there.

All that said, to read writing like that, I have to have a certain space around me, of time and privacy. I can't read something that well-written on a plane, for example. I can't cope. On planes, I read lighter, plainer things.

PS--I didn't see Nabokov on your short list--read Nabokov!!! I think he would fit your taste. (Try "The Real Life of Sebastain Knight", one of his lesser known books. It's marvelous. Or his short stories. Like "The Storm"--oh!)

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
So I guess I'm asking: do our opinions of published books and the publishing industry in general have any different weight (more, less, none?) than the general population? Do you enjoy books differently as a writer than you did as a reader? If a writer says a book is "bad" does it mean something different than if a reader says a book is "bad"?

For the first, it depends on why the opinion is being sought -- assuming it is. If a writer is trying to assess his or her skill level, asking another writer to critique a piece is more likely to produce helpful information as to technique and skill. But asking a reader for an opinion is helpful in a different way, because that's your audience -- and they may not be able to diagram a sentence, but they know what they like and don't like. If no opinion is being sought, but you're just idly wondering if your opinion has more intrinsic value than John Reader's does, the answer is -- only to you.

As for the second question, I believe time and experience helps to distance the writer from the reader when one wants to simply enjoy reading. I also believe that, for most of us, a book has to meet some individual, acceptable level of competence before we can forget we're writers.

Third question answered above, I think.

Also, publishers sometimes publish things that are "bad" because they think it will sell. Publishers of nasty paperback romance novels know that the novels are bad, and of no literary consequence, but since most people are not as educated about literature as writers are, the publishers believe that the books will sell based on an interesting story or whatnot.

You might want to consider not insulting romance writers who, if you look at the Romance forums here on AW, not only comprise a chunk of the membership but whose genre makes up more than 50% of paperback fiction sales in this country.

You're entitled to your own opinion as to the quality of various books and various genres, but to offer the sweeping condemnation of an entire genre as "nasty" and "of no literary consequence" is not only ignorant and mean-spirited but disrespectful of your fellow writers.

IMHO, of course.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
You might want to consider not insulting romance writers who, if you look at the Romance forums here on AW, not only comprise a chunk of the membership but whose genre makes up more than 50% of paperback fiction sales in this country.

You're entitled to your own opinion as to the quality of various books and various genres, but to offer the sweeping condemnation of an entire genre as "nasty" and "of no literary consequence" is not only ignorant and mean-spirited but disrespectful of your fellow writers.

IMHO, of course.

I agree. I don't read romance anymore, however, when I did I read a LOT of stuff that was quailty work. They were wonderfully written!

Interesting statistics, BTW, CC.

~Thrill

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While I've picked up certain books because they were in a genre I was interested in writing about, when I sit down with a book it's to read it and enjoy it. Rarely does my "writer" side engage, assuming in the first place that those can be separated.

I think, as a writer, when I read I'm a bit more conscious of a bad turn of phrase or the like, or when something's awkwardly written, but otherwise I don't approach the books I read specifically as a writer.

I think, too, that would suck some of the enjoyment out of them. :)

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
I recall one book in which the plot was so intriguing it overcame the poor writing to induce me to finish the book. Normally I read for plot, but if the writing is very poor, I won't continue to read a story or a book.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
PS--I didn't see Nabokov on your short list--read Nabokov!!! I think he would fit your taste. (Try "The Real Life of Sebastain Knight", one of his lesser known books. It's marvelous. Or his short stories. Like "The Storm"--oh!)

I've been meaning to get around to reading some Nabokov. I picked up a collection of his short stories at the bookstore, but since I already had two or three books in my hands, I decided I ought to wait to get it. I suffer from the problem of being an incredibly slow reader.

Unfortunately, my reading speed has had to impact my chosen reading material. Well, in some ways. There are so many longer works that I've been wanting to read, but I haven't gotten around to because it just takes me so LONG to get through things.

My wife and I have been sharing books, and she'll read a book first and give it to me to read. She'll have finished our next book when I'm only a few chapters into the one I'm reading...

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I've always tended to analyze books, really I think since I entered my teens; at any rate, I certainly started asking myself why certain stories worked or didn't work, or what I liked and didn't like about them, a long time before I began writing with an eye to publication. So I don't see it as a dichotomy.

Certainly, the more writing I do, the more aware I become of my own flaws as a writer. As such, I find myself becoming more forgiving, not less. Books I might have dismissed easily 10 years ago I now look at differently -- because I'm looking at things they got right as well as the things they got wrong, and asking myself honestly if I could do the same.

otterman

Word Voyeur
Registered
Reaction score
As many others have said, I also read for entertainment and can overlook minor technical/stylistic errors as long as the story's good. I am, however, always hoping to find that diamond in the rough that appeals to both my readerly and writerly sides. When I read a book that satisfies both of me, I consider it something very special.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting statistics, BTW, CC.

~Thrill

Yeah, if you check out the Romance Writers of America pressroom, you see:

Romances account for $1.4 billion in sales each year;

Romances claim a 26.4% share of the consumer book market (not sure how they define "consumer book market");

And more than one-quarter of all books sold are romance.

Very interesting stats. And from what I know of the market, pretty accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.