Finding love in the bookstore...

dancingandflying

Is it tea time yet?
Registered
Reaction score
don't you understand that any time i hear the words 'cute' or 'adorable', i run away?!

just kidding... but seriously. i do.
:D

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
Aww. I am totally stopping off at the bookstore after work.

I once tried to pick up on a guy in Best Buy. I prefer to block that incident from my mind. Perhaps I'll have better luck at Borders.

Reaction score
How very American.

No, really. If a guy starts chatting to a complete stranger in Scotland, women look at him like he's a psycho.

Course, this is Scotland...so he probably is...

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
How very American.

No, really. If a guy starts chatting to a complete stranger in Scotland, women look at him like he's a psycho.

Course, this is Scotland...so he probably is...
:roll: Well England is a bit different, I suppose. I never had an issue talking to women. Most were quite helpful.

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but if a guy chatted me up in a bookstore, I'd want to tell him to piss off. I go there to buy books, not to be picked up.

I think it's a cultural thing. Over here, we're far more conservative about dating than Americans seem to be. Over there, I'd guess any situation is fair game for asking a woman out for coffee if you fancy her. Over here, it's not the 'done thing', unless you get to know each other first. You just don't ask strangers out. The normal places to get to know people are either pubs or clubs, or the traditional work place, although the internet is becoming ever more popular for that sort of thing.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Maybe it's just me, but if a guy chatted me up in a bookstore, I'd want to tell him to piss off. I go there to buy books, not to be picked up.

I think it's a cultural thing. Over here, we're far more conservative about dating than Americans seem to be. Over there, I'd guess any situation is fair game for asking a woman out for coffee if you fancy her. Over here, it's not the 'done thing', unless you get to know each other first. You just don't ask strangers out. The normal places to get to know people are either pubs or clubs, or the traditional work place, although the internet is becoming ever more popular for that sort of thing.

Maybe this is why I've always heard other countries think us American women are easy, we talk to people in the weirdest places. I'd talk to just about anyone as long as they didn't look like a psycho killer or total creep. Not that I'm easy................just easy to talk to.

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong; I think the American way of dating and going about finding a date has a lot going for it, not least the possibility of finding love anywhere, rather than in culturally-sanctioned places. It's more of a surprise that way, if romance can blossom in absolutely any place.

But I think the UK has a long way to go before that's the norm. We look upon strangers with a degree of suspicion here. Even if someone pays me a compliment, my first reaction isn't, "How nice," but "What the fuck are you after?" And that's with friends, so I'd be a lot worse if a stranger asked for my number or suggested a date.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I've always thought of the UK as being so much more open minded than us over here. Just seeing some of your T.V. shows and commericals makes me think this. We are so closed minded towards sex and nudity. I always figured you had us beat on this one. Then I have to remember it was the Puritans who came over here to settle. We've never been the same since.

Reaction score
I think because we're so repressed with regard to dating and sex, we let it all hang out (ahem) in our entertainment, as an outlet.

Personally, I'd prefer to let it all hang out in the sense of-

Nonevermind.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
:roll: I get such a kick out of this, since I recalled when living in Portsmouth, my roomate met a guy one night and brought him home. I arrived home late and upon crossing the living room encountered they pair having sex. Her legs were up in the air like a V, with the young man doing his business.

Lovely. I can say from some experience that British women like a little roll.

Reaction score
No. The British women you've met like a little roll.

Some of us have more dignity.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
In other words, guys shouldn’t feign interest in yoga just because they want a slinky, flexible mate

why the hell not??

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
you know, whenever i read articles like that i'm always reminded about how amazing i am.

i really am.

i just do this stuff naturally.

amazing.