Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
Once more into the breach.

This time a prequel (after Enterprise, but before Kirk). With the Romulans again. New Cast. New Ship.

They better do something great or ST is gonna go from life support to the morgue.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
New Cast. New Ship. Same Rick Berman and Co.

They haven't shown Enterprise Series 4 over here yet (I think it starts this evening) but talk about three seasons of ****. The only highlight in the entire thing was a Jolene Blacock interview in SFX, which she spent ripping into just about everything about the show. Not quite as much as Robert Beltran used to about Voyager, but...

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hmmm... new cast, you say? They'd better do something great. They've already lost the built-in fans of the shows (no Kirk? No Picard?). So you're left with either the die-hard Trekkies, or you have to cater to the general public -- and that means they need a kick-a** Sci-fi flick... But, if Battleship Gallactica could work....

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Nemesis utterly bombed at the box office, even with all that in place. Well, except for being something great, given that it was rubbish. Star Trek has to be one of the most overvalued licenses around at the moment - the first order of business should be to take a break to clear everyone's head, clear house and come back fighting. A prequel movie from the guys who brought you Insurrection and Nemesis, and just spent three years utterly arsing up an entire prequel series? May as well give the money to a random entry on Query Letters That Suck. My vote's for the guy who wanted to write a tense dramatic sci-fi work about seagull herpes.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a die-hard Trek fan, but there has been nothing compelling on the big screen since First Contact. I've certainly had to exercise my "easily entertained" gene since then to get through this 4th season of Enterprise. It's so disappointing when an intriguing idea isn't executed well.

*spoiler alert, if it matters*

Nemesis had its moments. I liked the idea of a clone being a mirror for Picard to measure himself against, but it could have been done better. And don't get me started on how long it took to get their big weapon online at the climax. That's where it started to lose me. By the time Data made the ultimate sacrifice, I was wondering why half the crew hadn't joined him.

Like you and maestro say, Joe, this upcoming movie had better be the best thing the franchise has ever done, otherwise it could be the death knell.

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
Nemesis?

Come on... They took Star Trek II and just changed the names.

Data/Spock sacrificing themselves so the ship/explosion wouldn't destroy enterprise. Kahn and Picard Clone both same. Hell it even ends in a nebula as II did.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
ChunkyC said:
I'm a die-hard Trek fan, but there has been nothing compelling on the big screen since First Contact.

Amen. First Contact was the bomb. Then the franchise simply bombed.

It boggles the mind that with all the money, power, brains, history, etc. they couldn't come up with something spectacular -- they had to borrow and steal from old ideas. It just boggles the mind.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I liked the idea of a clone being a mirror for Picard to measure himself against

"I am your clone, only I do not look like you, and had a totally different upbringing, and we have nothing in common and...uh...THERE WILL BE NO QUESTIONS!"

Talk about a waste of having a whole Evil Mirror Universe, campy though using it would undoubtedly have been.

By the time Data made the ultimate sacrifice

...which didn't even matter, since they'd luckily just found an exact duplicate. Nemesis was so very, very, very poor...

Last edited:

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
So why don't they try a DS9 movie?

I love that show, especially the later seasons. It's dark, disturbing in parts, and it had depth to it.

Mind you, I'm po'ed over the cancellation of Enterprise, if only to be deprived of gratuitous glimpses of Archer's beagle dog.

(That sounds dirty, doesn't it?)

Karen (taking off the ST geek hat)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have an idea for a script for the next movie:

The crew of the starship Boobyprize travels back in time (of course they go back in time, do they do anything else in Star Trek these days?) to the year 19-whatever, and beams Berman onto the surface of the moon wearing nothing but his Versache suit and an expression of utter bewilderment a millisecond after First Contact is in the can. Naturally, this means wiping themselves from existence, but it's a small price to pay to save the universe. The End.

I smell an Oscar for the brave screenwriter willing to pen this jem....
emoticonthankyou.gif

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
joecalabre said:
Nemesis?

Come on... They took Star Trek II and just changed the names.

Data/Spock sacrificing themselves so the ship/explosion wouldn't destroy enterprise. Kahn and Picard Clone both same. Hell it even ends in a nebula as II did.
You're right on the money there, Joe. This is how they failed. Instead of having Picard explore more fully what it was in his life that made him what he was, and compare it to how the clone turned out (life experience vs genetics, and "do I really have that evil inherent in me?" and so on), they barely touched on it and instead fell back on the old worn out stuff we've all seen before. What a disappointment.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
if you can gum up the star wars gears, you can gum up anything. BG, to me, is pretty damn awesome considering it's a t.v. show. hell, even some of the original BG's were pretty damn good.

prequels seem to be all the rage when you've got no new ideas. and, i mean, how hard could it possibly be? i only caught a couple of 'enterprise' shows, and while i didn't particularly care much for them, i liked the idea they were taking chances along certain story-arcs (at least, that's how i perceived it).

ah, the other eternal question: with all that money and so-called professionals involved, how can a thing suck so bad? let me be the first to say star trek *should* die. without roddenberry, isn't it more or less becoming uninspired corporate sludge? it stinks of being a result of committee thinking, which, ironically, was a major principle with TNG, that everyone gets a say. that's why in real life, picard's enterprise wouldn't have made it past the third episode.

prequels aren't the way to go here. they should be propelling the franchise forward, not retro-ing it to fulfill a trend. used to be they *set* the trend. roddenberry had a vision: stick to it. find someone who shares the same values, get a new crew, possibly linked to TNG's crew members for continuity, and tell some good damn stories. good damn stories have never been a recipe for disaster, eh? lol. forget all about that gimmicky premise bs, just gimme a crew and a new ship to bang around in. oh, and give me a captain with a pair.

not rocket science... unless you're driving into the garbage pile at warp ten.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i only caught a couple of 'enterprise' shows, and while i didn't particularly care much for them, i liked the idea they were taking chances along certain story-arcs (at least, that's how i perceived it)
Me too. I was excited when it started. Early warp capable ships that took a significant amount of time to get anywhere, no phasers or transporter. I was ready for something fresh. I wanted to see how this Archer guy would deal with having only projectile weapons.

Then....

Second episode in, the phasers appear ... oh, sorry ... the phase pistol. Well, that's still different, isn't it? No, Mr. Berman. It's the same fargin' thing we've been seeing for the past 35 years and you couldn't hardly get past the pilot episode without falling back on it.

Mind you, some of the episodes in that first season were neat, like one where the pilot, Meriwether, takes a leave and hangs out with his family on a warp one or two capable freighter. Now that was different from the other stuff. Plus there was this conflict between humans and vulcans who thought it was dangerous to let us out into the galaxy.

For a while it looked like they might stop using old gags with the phasers, but then -- this Zindi thing (can you say 'the Dominion'? I knew you could) and on top of that, the transporter makes an appearance -- and just to make sure they tie it all in to every other Trek series that's ever been, at the end of the Zindi crisis, the Enterprise returns home to a greeting that looks like recycled footage from the Voyager finale.

You know how when you come up with a new idea in a story and it leads you to entirely new things? Well, Berman and company handcuffed themselves by introducing old ideas, starting with the phasers. It was inevitable that these familiar plot devices could only lead to familiar stories.

Gack.

I can't believe some folks have started a campaign to save the show. Let it die, please.

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
In defense. I enjoyed the past dozen shows. Showing how the federation took root, the romulans origin, how come there were human klingons in the Kirk days, but not Next Gen. Good stuff. That is what I wanted from Enterprise-- to see how they got from a to b.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
True, some of that stuff's been all right. But it's unfortunately too little too late.

And I like Scott Bakula as Archer.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think the past season and this season have been pretty good. I'm kind of miffed that they're cancelling it NOW that it's getting better...

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I am a die-hard Trekker. My husband, die hard Trekkie. I have a tattoo of a communicator on my stomach, and my license plate on my car used to say NTRPRYZ. I have a universal remote that is a Next Gen phaser. I have a "redshirt" costume that I've worn on more than one Halloween because I chose to - not on a dare. Yes, I'm sad. I have accepted it, learned to live with it, and I've gotten on with my life.

I have, however, decided to boycott any Paramount production involving Star Trek. I was about five months pregnant when I saw Nemesis, and I called my mother bawling after I left the theater. You just can't off Data like that - not in my universe. It's what, about 3 years later, and although I have a complete library of Trek movies, to me, the Next Gen franchise stopped with Star Trek IX. There is no Nemesis - it won't appear on my DVD shelf, at least.

Therefore, let them make their prequel with a new crew. Heck, let'em make another Next Gen or beyond movie with a new crew. This is one die-hard Trekker that won't be plunking down 7 bucks to see it.

WVWG

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
is there a difference between a 'trekker' and a 'trekkie'?

can they not make a series with an emotionless creature, i.e. spock, data, or a borg? (what was ds9's?)

it's funny how some t.v. shows operate like the cincinnati bengals, only getting good *once* the year is shot to hell and there's no pressure. it's almost as if these guys are putting too much pressure on themselves to be too star trekky, it fails, and once the hammer falls, that's when they make good shows.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Don't Trekkers actually dress up like Star Trek characters and go to conventions? And Trekkie simply are fans?

I think there's a movie called Trekkers.

Please educate me...

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
Rick Berman is everything that is wrong with Star Trek.

Nemesis could've been really cool, especially with John Logan writing it. But the piss-poor writing killed it. Why? Because Rick Berman had to have his hand in writing it. Add Brent Spiner into the mix as a co-writer with Berman, and you had a case of the blind leading the deaf and dumb. Logan probably just sat back and let the idiots take over while he collected a paycheck.

The best Trek movies were those written and directed by Nicholas Meyer (II and VI) and also those that had Harve Bennett as a writer (II, III) and also those where Leonard Nimoy had a hand in the story and/or writing (III, VI).

The only reason First Contact was any good is because:

A) The new Enterprise was really cool

B) Rick Berman didn't write it (Brannon Braga did).

Rick Berman is the worst thing that ever happened to ST, and THE reason all but one of the NG movies have totally sucked.

They wanna make a good Trek movie again? Bring back Nicholas Meyer.

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
Nick Meyers also wrote IV.
As for Nemoy, he really had a hand in the cookie jar right from the beginning. He orchestrated a beefier role in one, demanded his death in 2, made his triumphant return in 3 and 4. Nemoy, above all others kept the films going. If he can still move and breathe, I would love to have him involved in the next show/film. Realistically it won't happen.

So my suggestion is for trek to do something bold and unique. If a prequel is they way they want to go, then do it right. Forget the ideal future, the fancy ships and crews. Go way back to THE EUGENICS WAR.

Show Khan created, taking over Earth,political intrigue, battle, war and end with him escaping in the botany bay.

It could be done cheaper than any other trek film and if they get someone good for Khan (Banderas perhaps), it can breathe life into the franchise again.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trekkie = original series fan

Trekker = Next Generation fan

(so far as I know)

All the even-numbered movies seemed to be the good ones, up until Nemesis.

II - The Wrath of Khan
IV - The Voyage Home
VI - The Undiscovered Country
VIII - First Contact

I - Star Trek: The Motion Picture & III - The Search for Spock were a little weaker, but not bad, especially compared to V - The Final Frontier (directed by William Shatner !! Who passed out the LDS at the meeting where that decision was made?)

By the by, did anyone else puke at the changes made in the special edition DVD of Star Trek: The Motion Picture? Gawd, they even took out the Klingon with english subtitles at the beginning, which was one of the coolest parts of that film! Not to mention that Trek DVD's are among the highest priced with the least extras of any DVD's on the market. No wonder the franchise is in a tailspin.

Last edited:

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
You're right, Chunky. Trekker is a Next Gen fan, and Trekkie is an original series fan. I grew up on Next Gen, therefore I'm a Trekker. My husband, who is 12 years older than me, grew up on the original series, therefore he's a Trekkie.

WVWG

Status
Not open for further replies.