PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek XI announced.

Joe Calabrese
03-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Once more into the breach.

This time a prequel (after Enterprise, but before Kirk). With the Romulans again. New Cast. New Ship.

They better do something great or ST is gonna go from life support to the morgue.

Richard
03-08-2005, 07:25 PM
New Cast. New Ship. Same Rick Berman and Co.

They haven't shown Enterprise Series 4 over here yet (I think it starts this evening) but talk about three seasons of ****. The only highlight in the entire thing was a Jolene Blacock interview in SFX, which she spent ripping into just about everything about the show. Not quite as much as Robert Beltran used to about Voyager, but...

maestrowork
03-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Hmmm... new cast, you say? They'd better do something great. They've already lost the built-in fans of the shows (no Kirk? No Picard?). So you're left with either the die-hard Trekkies, or you have to cater to the general public -- and that means they need a kick-a** Sci-fi flick... But, if Battleship Gallactica could work....

Richard
03-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Nemesis utterly bombed at the box office, even with all that in place. Well, except for being something great, given that it was rubbish. Star Trek has to be one of the most overvalued licenses around at the moment - the first order of business should be to take a break to clear everyone's head, clear house and come back fighting. A prequel movie from the guys who brought you Insurrection and Nemesis, and just spent three years utterly arsing up an entire prequel series? May as well give the money to a random entry on Query Letters That Suck. My vote's for the guy who wanted to write a tense dramatic sci-fi work about seagull herpes.

ChunkyC
03-08-2005, 08:34 PM
I'm a die-hard Trek fan, but there has been nothing compelling on the big screen since First Contact. I've certainly had to exercise my "easily entertained" gene since then to get through this 4th season of Enterprise. It's so disappointing when an intriguing idea isn't executed well.

*spoiler alert, if it matters*

Nemesis had its moments. I liked the idea of a clone being a mirror for Picard to measure himself against, but it could have been done better. And don't get me started on how long it took to get their big weapon online at the climax. That's where it started to lose me. By the time Data made the ultimate sacrifice, I was wondering why half the crew hadn't joined him.

Like you and maestro say, Joe, this upcoming movie had better be the best thing the franchise has ever done, otherwise it could be the death knell.

Joe Calabrese
03-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Nemesis?

Come on... They took Star Trek II and just changed the names.

Data/Spock sacrificing themselves so the ship/explosion wouldn't destroy enterprise. Kahn and Picard Clone both same. Hell it even ends in a nebula as II did.

maestrowork
03-08-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm a die-hard Trek fan, but there has been nothing compelling on the big screen since First Contact.

Amen. First Contact was the bomb. Then the franchise simply bombed.

It boggles the mind that with all the money, power, brains, history, etc. they couldn't come up with something spectacular -- they had to borrow and steal from old ideas. It just boggles the mind.

Richard
03-08-2005, 09:02 PM
I liked the idea of a clone being a mirror for Picard to measure himself against

"I am your clone, only I do not look like you, and had a totally different upbringing, and we have nothing in common and...uh...THERE WILL BE NO QUESTIONS!"

Talk about a waste of having a whole Evil Mirror Universe, campy though using it would undoubtedly have been.

By the time Data made the ultimate sacrifice

...which didn't even matter, since they'd luckily just found an exact duplicate. Nemesis was so very, very, very poor...

allion
03-08-2005, 09:31 PM
So why don't they try a DS9 movie?

I love that show, especially the later seasons. It's dark, disturbing in parts, and it had depth to it.

Mind you, I'm po'ed over the cancellation of Enterprise, if only to be deprived of gratuitous glimpses of Archer's beagle dog.

(That sounds dirty, doesn't it?)

Karen (taking off the ST geek hat)

ChunkyC
03-08-2005, 09:38 PM
I have an idea for a script for the next movie:

The crew of the starship Boobyprize travels back in time (of course they go back in time, do they do anything else in Star Trek these days?) to the year 19-whatever, and beams Berman onto the surface of the moon wearing nothing but his Versache suit and an expression of utter bewilderment a millisecond after First Contact is in the can. Naturally, this means wiping themselves from existence, but it's a small price to pay to save the universe. The End.

I smell an Oscar for the brave screenwriter willing to pen this jem.... http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonthankyou.gif

Richard
03-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Not much point for DS9 - the story was over.

ChunkyC
03-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Nemesis?

Come on... They took Star Trek II and just changed the names.

Data/Spock sacrificing themselves so the ship/explosion wouldn't destroy enterprise. Kahn and Picard Clone both same. Hell it even ends in a nebula as II did.
You're right on the money there, Joe. This is how they failed. Instead of having Picard explore more fully what it was in his life that made him what he was, and compare it to how the clone turned out (life experience vs genetics, and "do I really have that evil inherent in me?" and so on), they barely touched on it and instead fell back on the old worn out stuff we've all seen before. What a disappointment.

preyer
03-09-2005, 03:37 AM
if you can gum up the star wars gears, you can gum up anything. BG, to me, is pretty damn awesome considering it's a t.v. show. hell, even some of the original BG's were pretty damn good.

prequels seem to be all the rage when you've got no new ideas. and, i mean, how hard could it possibly be? i only caught a couple of 'enterprise' shows, and while i didn't particularly care much for them, i liked the idea they were taking chances along certain story-arcs (at least, that's how i perceived it).

ah, the other eternal question: with all that money and so-called professionals involved, how can a thing suck so bad? let me be the first to say star trek *should* die. without roddenberry, isn't it more or less becoming uninspired corporate sludge? it stinks of being a result of committee thinking, which, ironically, was a major principle with TNG, that everyone gets a say. that's why in real life, picard's enterprise wouldn't have made it past the third episode.

prequels aren't the way to go here. they should be propelling the franchise forward, not retro-ing it to fulfill a trend. used to be they *set* the trend. roddenberry had a vision: stick to it. find someone who shares the same values, get a new crew, possibly linked to TNG's crew members for continuity, and tell some good damn stories. good damn stories have never been a recipe for disaster, eh? lol. forget all about that gimmicky premise bs, just gimme a crew and a new ship to bang around in. oh, and give me a captain with a pair.

not rocket science... unless you're driving into the garbage pile at warp ten.

ChunkyC
03-09-2005, 04:16 AM
i only caught a couple of 'enterprise' shows, and while i didn't particularly care much for them, i liked the idea they were taking chances along certain story-arcs (at least, that's how i perceived it)
Me too. I was excited when it started. Early warp capable ships that took a significant amount of time to get anywhere, no phasers or transporter. I was ready for something fresh. I wanted to see how this Archer guy would deal with having only projectile weapons.

Then....

Second episode in, the phasers appear ... oh, sorry ... the phase pistol. Well, that's still different, isn't it? No, Mr. Berman. It's the same fargin' thing we've been seeing for the past 35 years and you couldn't hardly get past the pilot episode without falling back on it.

Mind you, some of the episodes in that first season were neat, like one where the pilot, Meriwether, takes a leave and hangs out with his family on a warp one or two capable freighter. Now that was different from the other stuff. Plus there was this conflict between humans and vulcans who thought it was dangerous to let us out into the galaxy.

For a while it looked like they might stop using old gags with the phasers, but then -- this Zindi thing (can you say 'the Dominion'? I knew you could) and on top of that, the transporter makes an appearance -- and just to make sure they tie it all in to every other Trek series that's ever been, at the end of the Zindi crisis, the Enterprise returns home to a greeting that looks like recycled footage from the Voyager finale.

You know how when you come up with a new idea in a story and it leads you to entirely new things? Well, Berman and company handcuffed themselves by introducing old ideas, starting with the phasers. It was inevitable that these familiar plot devices could only lead to familiar stories.

Gack.

I can't believe some folks have started a campaign to save the show. Let it die, please.

Joe Calabrese
03-09-2005, 04:26 AM
In defense. I enjoyed the past dozen shows. Showing how the federation took root, the romulans origin, how come there were human klingons in the Kirk days, but not Next Gen. Good stuff. That is what I wanted from Enterprise-- to see how they got from a to b.

ChunkyC
03-09-2005, 04:32 AM
True, some of that stuff's been all right. But it's unfortunately too little too late.

And I like Scott Bakula as Archer.

maestrowork
03-09-2005, 04:35 AM
I think the past season and this season have been pretty good. I'm kind of miffed that they're cancelling it NOW that it's getting better...

WVWriterGirl
03-09-2005, 05:44 AM
I am a die-hard Trekker. My husband, die hard Trekkie. I have a tattoo of a communicator on my stomach, and my license plate on my car used to say NTRPRYZ. I have a universal remote that is a Next Gen phaser. I have a "redshirt" costume that I've worn on more than one Halloween because I chose to - not on a dare. Yes, I'm sad. I have accepted it, learned to live with it, and I've gotten on with my life.

I have, however, decided to boycott any Paramount production involving Star Trek. I was about five months pregnant when I saw Nemesis, and I called my mother bawling after I left the theater. You just can't off Data like that - not in my universe. It's what, about 3 years later, and although I have a complete library of Trek movies, to me, the Next Gen franchise stopped with Star Trek IX. There is no Nemesis - it won't appear on my DVD shelf, at least.

Therefore, let them make their prequel with a new crew. Heck, let'em make another Next Gen or beyond movie with a new crew. This is one die-hard Trekker that won't be plunking down 7 bucks to see it.

WVWG

preyer
03-09-2005, 09:33 AM
is there a difference between a 'trekker' and a 'trekkie'?

can they not make a series with an emotionless creature, i.e. spock, data, or a borg? (what was ds9's?)

it's funny how some t.v. shows operate like the cincinnati bengals, only getting good *once* the year is shot to hell and there's no pressure. it's almost as if these guys are putting too much pressure on themselves to be too star trekky, it fails, and once the hammer falls, that's when they make good shows.

maestrowork
03-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Don't Trekkers actually dress up like Star Trek characters and go to conventions? And Trekkie simply are fans?

I think there's a movie called Trekkers.

Please educate me...

Optimus
03-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Rick Berman is everything that is wrong with Star Trek.

Nemesis could've been really cool, especially with John Logan writing it. But the piss-poor writing killed it. Why? Because Rick Berman had to have his hand in writing it. Add Brent Spiner into the mix as a co-writer with Berman, and you had a case of the blind leading the deaf and dumb. Logan probably just sat back and let the idiots take over while he collected a paycheck.

The best Trek movies were those written and directed by Nicholas Meyer (II and VI) and also those that had Harve Bennett as a writer (II, III) and also those where Leonard Nimoy had a hand in the story and/or writing (III, VI).

The only reason First Contact was any good is because:

A) The new Enterprise was really cool

B) Rick Berman didn't write it (Brannon Braga did).

Rick Berman is the worst thing that ever happened to ST, and THE reason all but one of the NG movies have totally sucked.

They wanna make a good Trek movie again? Bring back Nicholas Meyer.

Joe Calabrese
03-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Nick Meyers also wrote IV.
As for Nemoy, he really had a hand in the cookie jar right from the beginning. He orchestrated a beefier role in one, demanded his death in 2, made his triumphant return in 3 and 4. Nemoy, above all others kept the films going. If he can still move and breathe, I would love to have him involved in the next show/film. Realistically it won't happen.

So my suggestion is for trek to do something bold and unique. If a prequel is they way they want to go, then do it right. Forget the ideal future, the fancy ships and crews. Go way back to THE EUGENICS WAR.

Show Khan created, taking over Earth,political intrigue, battle, war and end with him escaping in the botany bay.

It could be done cheaper than any other trek film and if they get someone good for Khan (Banderas perhaps), it can breathe life into the franchise again.

ChunkyC
03-10-2005, 01:47 AM
Trekkie = original series fan

Trekker = Next Generation fan

(so far as I know)

All the even-numbered movies seemed to be the good ones, up until Nemesis.

II - The Wrath of Khan
IV - The Voyage Home
VI - The Undiscovered Country
VIII - First Contact

I - Star Trek: The Motion Picture & III - The Search for Spock were a little weaker, but not bad, especially compared to V - The Final Frontier (directed by William Shatner !! Who passed out the LDS at the meeting where that decision was made?)

By the by, did anyone else puke at the changes made in the special edition DVD of Star Trek: The Motion Picture? Gawd, they even took out the Klingon with english subtitles at the beginning, which was one of the coolest parts of that film! Not to mention that Trek DVD's are among the highest priced with the least extras of any DVD's on the market. No wonder the franchise is in a tailspin.

ZaZ
03-10-2005, 01:53 AM
Jeezis, hangin' in here makes me feel like I have too much of a life.
Kiddin'.
Jolene Blaylock, oh yes, I'll meet you in shuttle bay whichever.

WVWriterGirl
03-10-2005, 06:58 AM
You're right, Chunky. Trekker is a Next Gen fan, and Trekkie is an original series fan. I grew up on Next Gen, therefore I'm a Trekker. My husband, who is 12 years older than me, grew up on the original series, therefore he's a Trekkie.

WVWG

preyer
03-10-2005, 07:29 AM
huh. learn something new everyday.

Richard
03-10-2005, 11:53 AM
There's also the other definition.

"A Trekker is someone who wonders what sex with aliens would be like. A Trekkie is someone who wonders what sex would be like."

Joe Calabrese
03-10-2005, 06:52 PM
I always though a trekkie was a fanatic to the 10th degree, while a trekker is someone who is a fan but doesn't go to conventions, dress up, have a theme wedding, etc...

Roger J Carlson
03-10-2005, 08:16 PM
You're right, Chunky. Trekker is a Next Gen fan, and Trekkie is an original series fan. I grew up on Next Gen, therefore I'm a Trekker. My husband, who is 12 years older than me, grew up on the original series, therefore he's a Trekkie.

WVWG

So what do you call someone who grew up on the original series (actually had to stay up past my bed-time to watch it!), but watched TNG just as avidly?

Trekkier?

(I stopped watching ANYTHING Star Trek somewhere in the middle of Voyager. It was all too formula. Babylon 5, now...);)

ChunkyC
03-10-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm with ya, Roger. Outside of the original Trek series (you have to take it in the context of the era it was broadcast), Babylon 5 has to be the best science fiction series to ever hit TV, IMHO.

maestrowork
03-10-2005, 08:25 PM
There's also the other definition.

"A Trekker is someone who wonders what sex with aliens would be like. A Trekkie is someone who wonders what sex would be like."

Here's the full list:

A Trekker wears a starfleet uniform to a convention because it's fun.
A Trekkie wears a starfleet uniform to a convention because s/he has
heard that it is in style at the academy.

A Trekker has a Starfleet Academy window sticker on his car.
A Trekkie is cramming for the entrance exams.

A Trekker meets Marina Sirtis/Gates McFadden at a convention, tells
her how pretty he thinks she is, that it is too bad she is
married or he would ask her out.
A Trekkie meets Deanna Troi/Dr. Crusher at a convention, tells her how
pretty he thinks she is, and asks her if she is still seeing Riker
(Picard, some alien patient, et al).

A Trekker loves watching the show, nitpicking and discussing it with
friends.
A Trekkie loves watching those documentaries filmed aboard the
Enterprise.

A Trekker thinks Wil Wheaton was a lucky kid who got to play a kid on
Star Trek.
A Trekkie thinks that Wesley Crusher was a lucky kid who got to sit on
the bridge.

A Trekker thinks that it is a shame that the show is coming to an end.
A Trekkie thinks that it is a shame that the crew is being reassigned
and the Enterprise is being decomissioned.

A Trekker knows that there are gaping holes in the technology, but
ignores them and enjoys the show.
A Trekkie can't wait for the price to come down on those home food
replicator units.

A Trekker buys pips for the rank s/he wants to be.
A Trekkie wonders why he is constantly passed over for promotion.

A Trekker tells his/her new girl/boyfriend that s/he really likes Star Trek.
A Trekkie's new girl/boyfriend is an underclassman at the academy.

A Trekker wonders what sex in zero g would be like.
A Trekkie wonders what sex would be like.

(Again, watch the film "Trekkers" and you'll get a better understanding -- I mean, there's a guy in New York who actually remodeled his apartment to look and feel and function just like the inside of the Enterprise....)

Richard
03-10-2005, 08:58 PM
There's one over here too...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/15/star_trek_flat/

ChunkyC
03-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Trekkers is an amazing documentary. The one that floored me was the postal worker who always wore a starfleet uniform to work. Then she gets called for jury duty and wears it to court as well. Her reasoning? A starfleet officer always attends to their duties in uniform.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteWha.gif

PS -- since we've been talking about the nomenclature, I had to go check. It's actually called Trekkies (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120370/).

PSS -- great link, Richard. I thought I was odd having a life-size cardboard cutout Mr. Spock in my living room.

Richard
03-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Heh. I've got a Marvin the Martian on my landing.

Betty W01
03-11-2005, 01:19 AM
The Final Frontier - proof positive (as if we needed it) that not only can Shatner not act, sing, or (heaven help us) write, he can't direct either. (And up to that point, I'd thought that the "Save the Whales" movie was as bad as a ST movie could get...)

Roger J Carlson
03-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Isn't it amazing how themes from the original Star Trek reappear in Star Trek films?

In ST:TOS there's this huge cone that chews up planets and threatens Rigel 7 and suck the life out of anything in its path (the Doomsday Machine). Then in STM1 there's this huge storm cloud that threatens Earth and sucks the life out of everything in its path. Then in STM4 there's this huge cylinder that threatens Earth and sucks the life out of everything in its path.

But wait! There's more. In the original ST, there's this alien probe which bonds with a Voyager spacecraft and tries to find its creator. Then in STM1, there's this huge storm cloud (that is really an alien proble) that bonds with a Voyager spacecraft and is trying to find its creator.

But wait! There's more. In The Doomsday Machine, there a Commader Matt Decker who gives up his life to save the day. Then in STM1, there's this Commander Will Decker who gives up his life to save the day.

You'd think that with the budget the motion pictures had, they could at least come up with some original plots.

preyer
03-12-2005, 11:47 AM
especially considering the limitless possibilities. if you're willing to accept 'Q', you're willing to accept anything.

my basic problems with TNG stems from these issues to me:

they zip around the galaxy and don't do anything interesting, more just resolving endless personal problems which often became very space opera-y to me

picard is a wuss. there's a problem: 'everyone gather into conference mode and pretend i'm not the captain, rather all the problems we encounter are better solved via committee thinking'

too damn many episodes involving the holodeck. trust me, were that thing a part of my job, it would have been shut down in about three weeks until maintenance could put a band-aid on it, OSHA had a chance to totally ignore it, and management spent a million bucks sitting it meetings and making up charts trying to figure out what the problem is, all the while every single people who uses the thing knows exactly what's wrong with it to begin with

too touchy-feely

too many mary sues. even worf is a *****. the only character with any balls was the doctor who replaced gates mcfadden briefly. i don't think an episode exists where i didn't want to kick will wheaton's arse

i think all this translated into the movies with TNG cast. in its defense, i think it reflected the idea of the ideal society we had at the time. now, to me, it feels as if there's very much a corporate message behind this ideal, unintentional or no.

i know a lot of y'all are looking forward to a prequel situation, but it just makes me cringe. shoring up a few loose ends i think pales in comparison with propelling the story forward.

original plots? yeah, how many times have people lamented about that? lol. i wish hollywood was freer than continually regurgitating plots that sell. it's our fault for continually giving them money for it. that's good news for us hacks, though. :) does every movie *have* to involve saving the universe or some planet? can't they make a good movie just for entertainment sans the blatant commentary? i think i'd rather watch a creepy ghost ship story (done to death as it's been) than yet another 'save the universe in the name of humankind' plot. want a 'new' plot? the crew has to run a black op into enemy territory to protect starfleet's interests, but it makes them the bad guys. at the same time, it has to be done. for a change, the enterprise doesn't get blown up. wow, what a concept-- the enterprise survives a movie!

and why the hell couldn't they make data realistically flesh coloured?

DaveKuzminski
05-25-2005, 10:10 PM
In all likelihood, it's time for a new franchise. Here's hoping that it's one of us who comes up with the winner.

Speaking for myself, I've got four ideas written as books that I'd like to see become films or TV programs. ;)

kappapi99
05-28-2005, 02:38 PM
I am with Betty...I was disappointed in IV...they go back in time to save a bunch of whales? They could have done so much more and eliminated the whale theme...

Oh well...as far as the series go, I didn't watch DS9 after the second season and stayed well clear during the "dominion war." I didn't watch Enterprise after the first show (yes I am a geek and here is why: ) because it was totally out of synch with the ST universe and timeline.

TNG and VOY were probably my favorite runs of the show, but I was very disappointed with NEMESIS. They could have done so much more, and they really did not need to kill Data, and if they were, what's up with his "replacement?" sheesh...

Ok, I am done :P

KP

Rhush
06-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Ok. Maybe I'm the only one, but why can't we ever have a movie with the crew from Voyager???? I want to see some Captain Janeway and 7 of 9 on the big screen. Geez!

Shai
06-13-2005, 04:50 AM
Ok. Maybe I'm the only one, but why can't we ever have a movie with the crew from Voyager???? I want to see some Captain Janeway and 7 of 9 on the big screen. Geez!
Huzzah! I'm with you. I feel like I'm the only person who liked Voyager (and Enterprise). Reading (most of) this thread did nothing to dissuade that impression... _;;

Dawno
06-13-2005, 05:09 AM
The Star Trek flat (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/15/star_trek_flat/) is in England and was for sale for over $1M US. Not sure if it's still on the market.

I've gone to several of the Las Vegas TrekCons, have my obligatory picture of self sitting in the captain's chair on the bridge of the Enterprise that was built at the LV Hilton. Did you know Wil Wheaton has written two books? One self-pubbed and the other with O'Reilly? I have my signed copies...stood in line at the cons to get them. He's a cutie.

My office is decorated with various Trek memorabilia. Prominant amongst them is the Ken and Barbie still in the box that is designed to make them look as if they are standing on the bridge of NCC1701 with Kirk and Spock. Barbie has a tricorder.

Nobody agrees on the definitions of Trekkie or Trekker. I've seen Baptists get along better over issues doctrine than folks arguing about Trekkie vs. Trekker. Don't go there! :D

The main reason for watching Enterprise was Scott Bakula and the occasional beefcake shots thereof, IMHO.

Yep. I probably need professional help.

Eric Summers
06-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Personally, I would like to see a more combat oriented ST franchise. There's been plenty of wars in the ST universe, how about a franchise that just focused on a ship or squad of soldiers that was always on the front line in that war, instead of just on one remarkable ship that swoops in and manages to talk everyone out of the war?

But, I'm the guy who thinks that "Generations" is the best of the big screen ST movies.

Richard White
06-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Isn't it amazing how themes from the original Star Trek reappear in Star Trek films?

<snip>

But wait! There's more. In The Doomsday Machine, there a Commader Matt Decker who gives up his life to save the day. Then in STM1, there's this Commander Will Decker who gives up his life to save the day.

In the for what it's worth category. Will Decker is Commodore Matt Decker's son. That's why Kirk had originally hand-picked Will Decker to take over command of the Enterprise.

Richard White
06-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Although I grew up with TOS, I'd have to say Deep Space 9 was my favorite of the new series, especially the Dominion War arc.

Which might be why my Star Trek:SCE novella (May 2006) is set in the Dominion War era.

Writer2011
06-14-2005, 09:09 AM
I'm not a Trekkie or anything but I do watch the movies...My all-time favorite is Star Trek II.... :) Just a tidbit and i'm sure many of you know that Star Trek II was originally released as Star Trek-The Wrath of Khan... :)

~Bill

Kevin Yarbrough
06-14-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm with a lot of you guys. They need to get rid of the people controlling the franchise now. Bring in Majel Roddenberry and crew. They are doing a helluva job on Andromeda.

As for Nemesis? I liked it. Could it have been better? Yes. A few things really got me about that show. First, where did they find the other Data? I remember watching TNG and Data going back home and not finding anything that resembles him. He was unique, or so we were led to believe. Nobody else has been able to make another like data, besides Data when he made that little girl. So, where did the other Data come from? Plus, how come he couldn't just download his mind into the other Data?

Another thing. The clone of Picard? How in the hell did they expect to grow him to maturity and slip him in place of Picard? Can you say big age gap? And why Picard? He never wanted to be anything other than a captain so do you think he would take a job in the council? Be one of the big boys? Nah. They would have a better job of infiltrating the council if they cloned a member already.

If they wanted to make the series better then create a new show, new crew, and a new war. Make the bad guys kick arse, like the Wraith on Atlantis. Really bad boys, not wimps. Make the away teams infiltration/recon/sabatoge units. Have more fights going on and not just phaser shoot outs. Hand to hand combat, martial arts, etc. Make the captain a hard nose, none of this "I need to send you on a mission that might kill you, how do you feel about that?" We need a captain that says "You're going on an away mission and you will probably die. Gear up, grab that assault phaser and get out of here. The stealth shuttle is waiting for you, ensign."

Don't make the bad guys try and take over the universe, just have them try and destroy Starfleet.

Dawno
06-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Although I grew up with TOS, I'd have to say Deep Space 9 was my favorite of the new series, especially the Dominion War arc.

Which might be why my Star Trek:SCE novella (May 2006) is set in the Dominion War era.

Will this be coming out next May in e-book or paperback? I love the SCE books and buy them as they come out. Haven't gotten into e-books yet. Might be time to consider it!

wardmclark
06-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Make the captain a hard nose, none of this "I need to send you on a mission that might kill you, how do you feel about that?" We need a captain that says "You're going on an away mission and you will probably die. Gear up, grab that assault phaser and get out of here. The stealth shuttle is waiting for you, ensign."

The original series already had a Captain like that. It's been downhill ever since.

Kevin Yarbrough
06-14-2005, 09:42 PM
The original series already had a Captain like that. It's been downhill ever since.
Kirk was not bad enough. He was a space pimp and that was about it. They need someone who is like a Marine drill Instructor, quick on his feet, good one liners, and have a good sense of humor.

"But Captain, I could die."

"I didn't ask if you wanted to go, numbnuts. Get on that shuttle, hit t hem where it counts and if you die I will drink to you tonight."

Okay, maybe not a drill instructor, but someone more hard than Kirk, Picard, Janeway, or Sisko. An all out war with a wicked enemy will bring new life to the series. I mean, when TNG was dropping in ratings they brought in the borg and it picked up. Voyager was dropping as well and they brought the borg in and it picked up.

Maybe make the new series happen after war started and the Federation is crumbling. Planets are leaving as the new bad guys attack each member of the Federation in an attempt to make them leave. If this keeps up the Federation will be no more and chaos will reign through the Universe.

Richard White
06-15-2005, 04:16 AM
Will this be coming out next May in e-book or paperback? I love the SCE books and buy them as they come out. Haven't gotten into e-books yet. Might be time to consider it!

That'll be the e-book (part of a four story flashback arc). It's centered on Faulwell and it's from before he entered SCE and was working for Starfleet Intelligence.

I'm hoping with a little luck (and good feedback) to spin off some Starfleet Intelligence stories either set in the SCE world or else a stand alone novel of their own.

(keeping fingers crossed).

The dead tree version of my story probably won't be out until 2008. (sigh)

Shai
06-15-2005, 08:38 AM
They need someone who is like a Marine drill Instructor, quick on his feet, good one liners, and have a good sense of humor.^^ I have visions of the Sarge from Halo. That might be fun! All kinds of "To hell with any Starfleet directive!" potential.

ChunkyC
06-16-2005, 07:18 PM
They need someone who is like a Marine drill Instructor, quick on his feet, good one liners, and have a good sense of humor.
Enterprise so had the potential to be that kind of series. I would love to have seen Archer be that kind of character (there were flashes of it, but that's all). It was the perfect era for it too, before the formation of the Federation with its strictures.

Did Berman ever pay attention to the fans? I remember SPACE: THE IMAGINATION STATION up here in Canada running an online poll to see which 5 episodes of TNG were the fan favorites. The results couldn't have been any more different than the movies. Fans picked the two parter where Picard is snagged by the Borg and turned into Locutis(sp?), and the episode where Picard receives a message from an unknown alien ship that causes him to experience an entire lifetime representative of the peoples of a doomed planet. These were brilliant episodes, the fans made it clear they loved them, yet when it came time to write the movies ... pffffft.

Can't wait for season 2 of the new Battlestar Galactica.

Kevin Yarbrough
06-16-2005, 07:29 PM
BG has it right and ST needs to take a look at it. The Captain is hard and will do whatever he wants, when he wants to. They are at war and he will do anything he needs to in order to survive.

Maybe ST needs to have a collaboration of the Borg and the Romulans. They join forces to wipe out Starfleet by attacking the Federation planets in order to make them leave. One by one they are systematically destroying the Federation. (Didn't something like this happen in Babylon 5?)

The Klingons and Vulcans are also played out, they need a new friend to come in and help. Something really different.

Pthom
06-17-2005, 02:09 AM
Something really different.What about a brand new alien race? I'm rather tired of them all.