Short Story Collections: How is it done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Not that I've got enough sales, but I've been trying to think ahead when I *do* have enough sales to make up a small volume of short stories and try to submit them to a publisher.

But me widdle mind says "hey, how do you deal with that entire rights issue?" and I think back to me old Bradbury collections where there was a plethora of credits on the first or second page listing where the short story had been initially published.

anyone able to point me towards the technical stuff for my distant future?

thanks in advance!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rights

Sheryl Nantus said:
Not that I've got enough sales, but I've been trying to think ahead when I *do* have enough sales to make up a small volume of short stories and try to submit them to a publisher.

But me widdle mind says "hey, how do you deal with that entire rights issue?" and I think back to me old Bradbury collections where there was a plethora of credits on the first or second page listing where the short story had been initially published.

anyone able to point me towards the technical stuff for my distant future?

thanks in advance!

If you retain the rights you should to the stories, and almost all writers do, there is no rights issue. The first appearance of the story is listed for two reasons. 1. So the magazine gets the credits it deserves for publishing the story. 2. So the reader can look up that magazine in hopes of finding other good stories.

But there is no rights issue, and you don;t need permission to publish the collection. You just have to use one page to list where the stories were previously published. And you don't always have to do this, but even if you don;t have to, it's still a courtesy and should be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.