PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Quoting Something

honeycomb
01-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Hi All,

I'm trying to build a relationship between my MC and her future lover, but they don't know it yet. It's all innocent for now. Anyway, he asks her to read something so that he can assess her reading skills. I would like for her to start reading the first page of Native Son, Richard Wright. Should I show it or tell it?

Option 1:
Dude: "I need to assess your reading skills, would you mind read..."
MC: Started reading the first page

Option 2:
Dude: "I need to assess your readings skills, would you..."
MC: "Brrrriiiiinnnnng! An alarm clock clanged in the dark silent room."

paperairplane
01-04-2008, 06:15 AM
I like the second one better, but that's just me. Don't go on and on of course, just the very first line or so would work.

Little Red Barn
01-04-2008, 06:24 AM
2nd works for me too, honey.

honeycomb
01-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Paperairplane,

Thanks. I'm taking your advice.

What a cool website!!!!!!!

honeycomb
01-04-2008, 06:28 AM
2nd works for me too, honey.

Kimmi,

Thanks. You and paperairplane have the coolest blogs and websites. I might have to display mine.

TrainofThought
01-04-2008, 06:31 AM
Is it important to have Wrights words in your story? Id show it, although your option 1 isnt really showing its telling me she starts to read the first page. As a reader, unless the reading has some link to the story, Id rather see the first option, IMHO.

honeycomb
01-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Is it important to have Wrights words in your story? Id show it, although your option 1 isnt really showing its telling me she starts to read the first page. As a reader, unless the reading has some link to the story, Id rather see the first option, IMHO.

Thanks Trainofthought. I'm still learning the difference, so this helps.

TrainofThought
01-04-2008, 06:56 AM
Thanks Trainofthought. I'm still learning the difference, so this helps.Oh... so am I. So Am I. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_6.gif Its tough getting show and tell right. :D Good Luck!