PDA

View Full Version : Juno

maestrowork
01-04-2008, 04:11 AM
I think Ellen Page is awesome in it but I'm not sure if she deserves a best actress nomination come Oscar time. I think the movie is funny and sweet but again, I am not sure if it's Best Picture material as they predict. Don't get me wrong, I like it every much -- reminds me of The Waitress (with a Jason Bateman look-alike Nathan Fillion), but I think it lacks the edge for the comedy to become best picture (last year's Little Miss Sunshine did have that edge).

Over all I think it's sweet and a good crowd-pleaser, but in some ways underwhelmed perhaps with all the expectations going in...

Spiny Norman
01-04-2008, 06:05 AM
I think it was sort of grating at the start with how cute it was trying to be ("swear to blog!") as well as quirky-indie-cute (I hope everyone likes the Moldy Peaches), but once it got about a third of the way through it found its groove and worked out well. Ellen Page was good, but sometimes the character did feel a little unbelievable. I think she may have been outshone by Jennifer Garner, though, whose painfully sincere desire to be a mother added a new emotional to every scene.

Shady Lane
01-04-2008, 06:07 AM
I honestly think Juno was one of the best movies I've seen this year. The musical/comedy category is going to be vicious this year, what with Juno and Hairspray and Across the Universe and Sweeney Todd. This is the only year I can remember when it would make sense to give musicals their own category...

katiemac
01-04-2008, 06:27 AM
I enjoyed it, but I agree that it felt a bit short for me. Most likely because of the high expectations. Still, I thought it was a great bit of fun, and I have a platonic crush on all things Michael Cera.

I thought Ellen Page was great. I'd buy her Oscar nomination, but then again -- what other good roles are out there for women, anyway? I can come up with a couple nominations, but nobody overwhelming.

Will Lavender
01-04-2008, 06:47 AM
I thought Ellen Page was great. I'd buy her Oscar nomination, but then again -- what other good roles are out there for women, anyway? I can come up with a couple nominations, but nobody overwhelming.

I haven't seen anybody handicap the race, but one Oscar-worthy performance I saw this year would be Julie Christie in Away From Her. I've heard Keira Knightley is very good in Atonement, but I haven't seen it. (Surprised that Jodie Foster got a Golden Globe nomination for what was essentially a vehicle. Not sure if the Academy will go that way.)

Would love to see Keri Russell get a nomination for Waitress, but she's probably a longshot.

katiemac
01-04-2008, 07:03 AM
I've heard Keira Knightley is very good in Atonement, but I haven't seen it.

I like Keira Knightley very much, and I think her acting is impressive. However, her performances feel exactly the same for me as her others -- in Atonement, while she was good, you could have lifted her performance right out of another film she was in. I don't fault her for it, but when she's on the screen it's very obvious, to me, she is "Keira Knightley." Based on what else is out there, though, I'm sure she'll get a nomination. She has a very good shot of winning it, too.

About Jodi Foster ... I think this is partly my point. The film was vehicle, but she's getting a nomination because it's one of the few roles that would allow an actress to get a nomination. Of all of the highly recommended films this year -- No Country, American Gangster, There Will Be Blood -- very few haved been helmed by women. Gone Baby Gone's Amy Ryan got wonderful reviews, but I believe she qualifies for the "supporting" role. Amy Adams is another, but that depends if they take the film itself seriously enough to nominate her.

I haven't seen Away From Her, so I'll have to look into it. Waitress has been on my DVD queue ever since it's been released; it never did make it to theaters here. I love both Keri Russell and Nathan Fillion.

maestrowork
01-04-2008, 07:10 AM
I haven't seen anybody handicap the race, but one Oscar-worthy performance I saw this year would be Julie Christie in Away From Her. I've heard Keira Knightley is very good in Atonement, but I haven't seen it. (Surprised that Jodie Foster got a Golden Globe nomination for what was essentially a vehicle. Not sure if the Academy will go that way.)

Would love to see Keri Russell get a nomination for Waitress, but she's probably a longshot.

I think it's gonna be a race between Julie Christie and Marion Cotillard, who is simply brilliant as Eidth Piaf in La Vie En Rose.

Will Lavender
01-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Gone Baby Gone's Amy Ryan got wonderful reviews, but I believe she qualifies for the "supporting" role.

I REALLY liked this movie. A good thriller is almost impossible to find at the cinema, and Affleck made an absolute gem.

However, Ryan has a nothing role in this movie. I was shocked, because I've read Lehane, and that character in Lehane's novels is just as integral as the MC. Yet in Gone Baby Gone, the female detective is almost..nonexistent. And not only that, her personality was changed, her looks were changed, everything about her was pretty much muted so that the male lead (Casey Affleck) could take charge of the film.

Clearly, this was a conscious choice by Affleck to get his brother into the spotlight. But I wish we would have seen more of Ryan, because in the few scenes she was in she was very good.

maestrowork
01-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Ellen Page was good, but sometimes the character did feel a little unbelievable. I think she may have been outshone by Jennifer Garner, though, whose painfully sincere desire to be a mother added a new emotional to every scene.

I agree. I like Juno's character but she comes off as not very believable. I think Michael Cera's character is also unbelievable, and I agree Jennifer Garner's one truly genuine character. I don't feel anything for Jason Bateman's character... the set up was somewhat predictable, actually (the loosey goosey musician and a control-freak wife... where is it leading?)

I enjoyed it, but I agree that it felt a bit short for me. Most likely because of the high expectations. Still, I thought it was a great bit of fun, and I have a platonic crush on all things Michael Cera.

The hype might have something to do with it. I was expecting something more like Little Miss Sunshine with a hilarious final act, but that never really came. Personally I think Knocked Up was a better film with similar topics (unplanned pregnancy, relationship, growing up, etc.). But Ellen Page is insanely cute -- if she's not like so young I won't feel so guilty feeling attracted to her. :)

Spiny Norman
01-04-2008, 08:02 PM
I agree. I like Juno's character but she comes off as not very believable. I think Michael Cera's character is also unbelievable, and I agree Jennifer Garner's one truly genuine character. I don't feel anything for Jason Bateman's character... the set up was somewhat predictable, actually (the loosey goosey musician and a control-freak wife... where is it leading?)

Yeah, I can really say that Juno and Bleeker are two characters that could only exist in "that kind of movie," whatever that means. Highly stylized characters in a highly stylized medium.

That's okay, though. The Royal Tenenbaums is the same way and that's one of my favorite movies.

Don Allen
01-06-2008, 09:46 AM
I had to look this thread up after seeing the movie and I didn't see it the way most of you did. I thought Garner was stiff, barely reacting at all to this impish pregnate squirt that invades her home, and literally got rode over rough shot by Page who's delivery was dead on and acting nailed todays teen attitude. The dialog was a bit contrived, but actually refreshing in as much as the characters weren't dumbed down as they are in so many movies. The one thing I think Page should get a lot of credit for is the read she put on all the other charactors she interacted. She studied the faces of her co-actors and reacted immediatly to every expression they made. A nice job of acting, I wouldn't be surprised if she got an Oscar nod.

billythrilly7th
01-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Saw it yesterday.

Loved it.

plaidearthworm
01-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Can't wait to see Juno, it seems like a very cool little movie. I've seen 'Saved!', and wonder if there are any similarities, other than the teen pregnancy storyline.

Scrawler
01-23-2008, 07:28 AM
I'd say I was underwhelmed, too. It was cute-ish.

NikeeGoddess
01-23-2008, 07:43 AM
haven't seen it yet but just the other day i saw ellen page in a flick that made me say, "what the phuck?!" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424136/ is where a 14 year old girl confronts a suspected pedophile and performs surgery. yes, she cuts off his balls!!!! he cried like a baby. lol!

maestrowork
01-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Hard Candy is awesome.

Shady Lane
01-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Hard Candy is awesome.

I'm DYING to see it. Have been since it came out...

Jcomp
01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
I really liked it. Just saw it a second time actually. And I thought Ellen Paige was outstanding. Anyone who can pull off a legitimate lip quiver in a crying scene is feeling that moment.

And I at first was sort of put off by the unbelievability of the characters and dialogue too, but really, it's not set up to be a really "genuine" or terribly "realistic" story, and I think it establishes that fairly early on, so I'm all right with that. Loved it.

LIVIN
01-29-2008, 03:51 AM
While it is entertaining the dialogue is not believable.