y or ies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
"to offer her sympathy" or "to offer her sympathies" ? OR "to offer sympathy"?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
All are grammatically correct.

I prefer "to offer her sympathy," even though the idiom is "My sympathies," when one is saying it aloud.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
In my case, "her" being the owner of the sympathies....

So in the case of "let me offer my condolences" ..... "let me offer my sympathies" ...... does that work the same?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
In my case, "her" being the owner of the sympathies

No, no, I got what you meant (even if I didn't respond coherently enough!)

I like this:

Jane approached the Nelsons in their chairs by the casket. She shifted from foot to foot as she waited in line to offer her sympathy.

more than this:

Jane approached the Nelsons in their chairs by the casket. She shifted from foot to foot as she waited in line to offer her sympathies.

But they're both perfectly correct, as is ...she waited in line to offer sympathy.

Use the one you like best.

jmhoule314

In my case, "her" being the owner of the sympathies....

So in the case of "let me offer my condolences" ..... "let me offer my sympathies" ...... does that work the same?

I'm not sure if I understand you, but i would think "condolences" is more appropriate in the first person. I think sympathies/sympathy is better in second and third.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
In my situation, there is no death and condolances makes me think of death before anything else.

Thanks guys, I think I'm good... here is the paragraph, tell me what you think:

“Honey, are you ok?” Pam stood up and wrapped her arms around me, patting my shoulder like a wounded six year old that had fallen off her bike. Ashamed to show my tears, I buried my face in her chest. How could I let him have this control over me? I hardly knew the guy, yet I was devastated. As soon as I was able to compose myself, I sat and explained the situation to her and Marla whom had heard the commotion and came in to offer her sympathy. Soon after, Jeanette from shipping was by my side cursing Johnny. Each of them suggested that maybe he just needed time and would come through eventually. There they stood, huddled around me trying to make me see the best in the situation, but it was hopeless, I was hopeless.

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
"to offer her sympathy" or "to offer her sympathies" ? OR "to offer sympathy"?

The plural "sympathies" sounds odd to me. Not grammatically wrong, just not the usual way of saying it.

The other two choices are both fine. It depends on context which one works better. I have a slight preference for omitting "her" unless there is a specific reason to include it.

Ah, on preview I see you have posted the paragraph. Yes, I do think you need the "her" in there. Although, to be honest, I find that whole sentence rather awkward. It has an awful lot going on; it might do better broken up.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
They're all grammatically correct, as pointed out earlier.

As for preference--I prefer to think of each of us as only owning a single sense of sympathy. It's not like I have 100 sympathy sitting around. I only have one, and I may give you a lot of it or a little of it, but I've only got one.

I would say "You have my deepest sympathy" to someone. But if I were writing a card to someone from both myself and my write, I'd write "You have our deepest sympathies," because it includes both of our two, separate sympathies.

That's just how I see it. But maybe that's weird and I should be committed.

Use whatever makes most sense to you.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
The plural "sympathies" sounds odd to me. Not grammatically wrong, just not the usual way of saying it.

The other two choices are both fine. It depends on context which one works better. I have a slight preference for omitting "her" unless there is a specific reason to include it.

Ah, on preview I see you have posted the paragraph. Yes, I do think you need the "her" in there. Although, to be honest, I find that whole sentence rather awkward. It has an awful lot going on; it might do better broken up.

Yea, reading it again it does look awkward. It will get reworded later. Can't deal with it right now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.