laid, lain, lie, lies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm down to the final grammatical tweaking in my book and have a real problem knowing when to use lied, lies, laid, lay, etc.

Is there a rule to follow? Anyone?
I'd appreciate it.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't this the old "lie vs lay" problem?

If I have this right, "lay" is used when you place an object down - so too for all it's variances like "laid" or "lays." ("Leis" btw, are something ENTIRELY different and probably no help to you unless your novel is set in Hawaii.)

"Lie" on the other hand is when you yourself become prone, as in to take nap. So too with "lied."

And of course there are the homonyms of both to deal with. :D

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... after taking a moment to think about that, I may have that backwards... :(

give me a moment to double check.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
and after looking it up, now I'm confused as well. :(

Seems to be that, in general, "lay" and it's various tenses are used for placing something in a prone position. Hence, "I lay me down to sleep" is grammatically correct because you're placing yourself in the bed (or wherever you sleep).

Whereas "lie" is something that's already in that position.

So, "lay" to get there and "lie" for when you are there.

... I hope that helps and I haven't managed to only further confuse you. :)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Copied from a post in another thread here in Grammar or Grasshoppers.... this problem comes up a lot, with me anyways.

To lie (to tell an untruth):
He will lie tomorrow.
He is lying now.
He lies every day.
He lied yesterday.
He has lied before.

To lie (to recline):
He will lie on the bed tomorrow.
He is lying on the bed now.
He lies on the bed every day.
He lay on the bed yesterday. **note past tense
He has lain on the bed before.

To lay (to put an object down, to have sex with someone, or to emit an egg):
He will lay the book on the table tomorrow.
He is laying the book on the table now.
He lays the book on the table every day.
He laid the book on the table yesterday.
He has laid the book on the table before.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I have a huge problem with this as well, and was hoping this would give me an example.

I have a number of lay's in my book usually in the context along the lines of - "The dog lay at her feet while she read." So would it instead be, "The dog lied (laid) at her feet while she read." ???

cmyk

Registered
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the position.

It has to to with the presence or absence of a thing laid. It's called the direct object. (Grammar. I know, honey. SO sleepy.)

Let's conjugate!

I lie/lay/have lain on the bed. (No object.)
I lay/lay/laid the blanket/an egg/my scant remaining self-respect (that direct object, see!) on the bed.

Line editors have stylebooks, like the AP stylebook, to help them through crises like this. There are a billion secondhand copies around, even an old one is fine. Or maybe I'm so old it's all online now.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
"lied" means "told a lie"

I have a number of lay's in my book usually in the context along the lines of - "The dog lay at her feet while she read." So would it instead be, "The dog lied (laid) at her feet while she read." ???

"Lie" on the other hand is when you yourself become prone, as in to take nap. So too with "lied."

Just to be entirely clear on this confusion -- "lied" only means "told a lie". If the dog lied at your feet, that dog was very untruthful!

The dog lay at your feet -- correct.
The dog laid a bone at your feet -- correct
The dog laid at your feet -- wrong.

I wonder if we need a sticky about this :)

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Or...a Grammar Hall of Fame thread, sticked in this forum so answers to many of these questions can be easily found.

cmyk

Registered
Reaction score
Ravenlea,
I haven't line edited for awhile. So this is making even my head hurt.

But in your example, there is no direct object. So you get something like:

The dog lay at her feet ... (no direct object)
The dog laid a chewed slipper lovingly at her feet ... (the chewed slipper is the direct object)

Clearer?

It gets confusing if you try to sound/feel it all out. You really do need to go get a book, like a stylebook, and conjugate the stupid verb "lie". Like a musician plays scales every day for 70 years.

Then make a sticky note and put it by your desk. We do.

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score

The key is to realize that there are two completely different words which are both spelled L-A-Y. The present tense of the verb to lay is lay. The past tense of the verb to lie, when it means recline, is lay. (The past tense of the verb to lie, when it means tell a falsehood, is lied.)

"The dog lay at her feet while she read."

IF you are writing in past tense, then lay is the past tense of to lie and the sentence is correct.

IF you are writing in present tense, then lay is the present tense of to lay and the sentence is wrong. (Hmmm, since the subject is the dog, it would have to be the dog lays, so I don't suppose you mean to be in present tense.)

- - - -

I've been trying to think of a quick rule of thumb. All I can come up with so far is to see whether you can substitute sit or put in the sentence. If sit works, then you are using a form of to lie. If put works, you are using a form of to lay.

Past Tense
The dog lay at her feet <--> The dog sat at her feet.
The dog laid at her feet <--> The dog put at her feet.

I lay my coat on the bed <--> I sat my coat on the bed.
I laid my coat on the bed <--> I put my coat on the bed.

Present Tense
The dog lies at her feet <--> The dog sits at her feet.
The dog lays at her feet <--> The dog puts at her feet.

I lie my coat on the bed <--> I sit my coat on the bed.
I lay my coat on the bed <--> I put my coat on the bed.

(Hmmm, that's not as useful as I'd like, because many people misuse sit/set the same way. Not to mention that it doesn't work so well for laying eggs, laying carpet, or getting laid. I guess if it were easy, someone would have already come up with one already. Back to the drawing board.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Forms of "to lie" meaning "to rest or recline": lie, is lying, lay, has lain

Forms of "to lay" meaning "to put or place": lay, is laying, laid, has laid

As Ms. Giraffe pointed out, note that the word "lay" appears twice and means TWO DIFFERENT things. "Lay" is the simple present tense conjugation of "to put or place" and the simple past tense conjugation of "to rest or recline."

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
I try and think of another verb to use. Not a problem as I find lay/lie is rarely the strongest choice.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all -
I had thought this probably came up before but didn't have the time to find the thread - it is a vexing grammatical problem.
Your help is appreciated

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Ravenlea,
I haven't line edited for awhile. So this is making even my head hurt.

But in your example, there is no direct object. So you get something like:

The dog lay at her feet ... (no direct object)
The dog laid a chewed slipper lovingly at her feet ... (the chewed slipper is the direct object)

Clearer?

The key is to realize that there are two completely different words which are both spelled L-A-Y. The present tense of the verb to lay is lay. The past tense of the verb to lie, when it means recline, is lay. (The past tense of the verb to lie, when it means tell a falsehood, is lied.)

"The dog lay at her feet while she read."

IF you are writing in past tense, then lay is the past tense of to lie and the sentence is correct.

IF you are writing in present tense, then lay is the present tense of to lay and the sentence is wrong. (Hmmm, since the subject is the dog, it would have to be the dog lays, so I don't suppose you mean to be in present tense.)

thanks! this helps. I thought I had a handle on this until someone went through my novel and changed every lay to either lain or laid and then I got myself twisted in knots trying to figure out which was what :D

I do have a couple of grammer books - guess it's time for me to retake a look at them.

thanks again!

Last edited:

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Thank you all -
I had thought this probably came up before but didn't have the time to find the thread - it is a vexing grammatical problem.
Your help is appreciated

You don't have time to find the thread but assume other people have time to write this all out again for you. Interesting.

Danthia

I had someone tell me once that a chicken "lays" and egg but a dog "lies" down. Seemed a good way to keep track of lay as the one you use when you put something somewhere, and lie when it's you doing the lying down.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
And then you have sex and egg POVs.

Consider getting laid.

I got laid this morning. (I'm a really fresh egg or a happy chick.)
I got laid by Jon this morning . (So is Jon fair or fowl?)
I'm gonna get laid. (I'm in the oviduct or hatching a plot.)

Maybe it's all an unnecessary complication. Egg POV stories must be rare, and there are other words for having sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.