Gah, my computer died, taking my WIP with it

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so it's not that bad- I did a system backup 2 weeks ago, and I emailed myself the main part of novel last week, but still.

I've lost some notes, edits, and organization/chapter shifts. I lost my new outline as well, and it was a NICE outline :(

If I'm lucky the computer geeks in mephis will backup my word files like I asked before reformatting my computer (it's been needing such drastic measures for awhile)

If I had any sense I would have partially fixed the problem locally, backed up the files, and THEN sent the computer out for warranty repairs.

*Sigh*

Friendly reminder- go backup your WIP, your notes, and everything else. Send a copy to your friend/mother in case of natural disaster.

That is all. Sympathy notes accepted...

Oh, wait, I didn't merge my new version of the cutting scene. Going to rescue that from SYW right now! Gahhh

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch! So sorry to hear that, Christina. I really should gather all my stuff and email it to the many addresses I have online, and also plop them into Google docs. A few are there but not all by a long shot.

Maybe you'll write an even better outline!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Mel :)

And more pain- I lost several mini-scenes.
I'm gonna try to rewrite my outline from memory. Writing a new/better one will be a worry for another day ;)

Google docs? I gotta look into that...

Cheers,
Christina

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks threedog. I think a hot bath is certainly in order :)

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard not to trust Google docs completely, as some have said stuff disappears. But, it's still not a bad idea to store your writing there. I'm going to add that having online addresses are good for backups too. Get a yahoo and a gmail address, then send to them also. I'm apt to use anywhere from a couple to 5 or 6, just to be safe.:) Always do that during NaNo every day.

I'm sure there are a few other places online that one can use for storage, but I can't remember what they are. Others might come in and post them.

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I'm glad you didn't lose everything, though!

Did the hard drive die? If not, your geeks can possibly pull the data off that -- you'd only lose what you hadn't saved before the comp went bye bye.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
That made me sick to my stomach! Good luck in recapturing and remembering it!

I used to save to disc then save it on another computer, but after a couple of times the disc would flip to read only. Then I got wise and saved it to a flash drive! The computer can die, but I'll still have my current work saved on that little stick!

Enjoy the hot bath!

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I lost two big stories I was working on once when I was a lot younger, and I am so so so so so so so sad I lost them. It wasn't that big a deal back then but now that I think about the stories, and how much work I had and through my notes, I was deeply depressed again. May as well though. Now I can start from scratch and I know I've improved since. Oh, well.....always back your stories up on another computer, or flash drive. I love my flash drive!!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I plan on keeping a close watch on the repair people to see what can be done. I might be able to get a partial fix and then reformat the computer myself asap once I have it back.

At least I'm not alone :)

Cheers,
Christina

Eskimo1990

is here :)
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhh, I would be very sad if that happened to me!

*goes off to send her stuff to an email*

Good luck on getting that stuff back!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, just a bump and an update- looks like I may be in the clear. They were finishing up with my laptop and said all the date was fine and untouched. The computer is running and alive. I won't get it back until monday or tuesday due to the weekend. After I back it up and have the chance I can send it back in to take care of the bad sector on the hard drive. Which, while annoying, at least isn't costing me anything.

If everything comes back in one piece I'm gonna give my laptop a big hug :)

Thanks everyone
Christina