PDA

View Full Version : My first job interview in 23yrs.....I'm scared.

joyce
01-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Tuesday I will be going on my first job interview in 23 years and I'm laughing but scared to death! Ever since the company I was with went bankrupt 15 years ago I've been a self employed landscaper. My business was great until two years ago when I got very ill and could no longer do the work. The economy sucks right now around here so business has been bad. My husband works for a construction company and might lose his job any day so I felt the need to pick up the slack. I was an office manager for 20 years but can no longer sit for long periods due to a bad back, so I decided to apply for a job at a local grocery store. It's ironic it's the same place I worked when I was 15. OMG I'm a nervous wreck. What if they hate me........I need money.

writerterri
01-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Oh, that's wonderful! I hope you get the job and the interview goes well.

I have been looking for a steady job since July and can't even get an interview, so feel lucky.

I do wish you the best!

quickWit
01-04-2008, 12:47 AM
Congratulations on your interview, Joyce. By way of advice allow me to offer the same advice I gave to True regarding her pending interview here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1930631#post1930631

Best of luck! I hope you get the job!

sassandgroove
01-04-2008, 12:54 AM
When they ask if you can do _______, say yes. Because you can. :) Good luck.

joyce
01-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Thanks everyone! I hope I get it. I keep saying it's a job in a grocery store, surely you'll get it. Then I remember my luck of late and pray it's about to change. I've been so spoiled for so long by running my own schedule that it should be interesting having a schedule written in stone. I was so afraid they'd look at my resume and think I was over qualified for a grocery store job. My extreme desperateness must have shown through. Besides, I think it will be fun working there.

truelyana
01-04-2008, 01:03 AM
I agree, that is wonderful.

All the best to you, in the Interview.

Relax, am sure it'll be fine.

My first ever Interview is also next week, (thursday) so I'll be thinking of you. :)

cletus
01-04-2008, 01:17 AM
A confident smile and a positive attitude goes a long way in an interview. Good luck!

slcboston
01-04-2008, 01:35 AM
Any and all interviews are nervous, no matter how many you've done or how long it's been, or whether it's for a grocery store of Fortune 500 company. I told this to all my students when I taught the lesson on interviews, and it holds true every time I meet with someone new. (In the market myself, so I know how this goes.)

They key thing is, be yourself, and be honest. (Up to a point. As someone else mentioned, if they ask you if you can do something, unless you absolutely can't, it's best to say you can. Take a lesson from Ghostbusters. :D)

joyce
01-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Thanks everyone for the positive support. If I get it, it looks like they have benefits. That's something I haven't experienced in a very long time. When you are self employeed it's no workie no payie.

JLCwrites
01-04-2008, 02:01 AM
I will be sending positive interview vibes your way! Oh, and I will keep my fingers and toes crossed too! Just remember to have fun and stay relaxed.
Good Luck!

SpookyWriter
01-04-2008, 03:03 AM
You'll do fine. Just remember when you get nervous during the interview just pretend they're all nakked.

kristie911
01-04-2008, 03:09 AM
Joyce (and Truelyana),

I'm part of the hiring committee for our 911 center. And as someone who actually gets to hire the desperate, (j/k :tongue) the people that tend to get hired are the ones that come in and treat the interview like a small formality. Their attitude just comes through as "Let's just get this out of the way so I can start my job." They're friendly, relaxed and articulate.

So relax. You're writers so you should be able to fake the articulate part. ;) And I know you've got the friendly part down with no problem. :)

Good luck!

Oh and another piece of advice...work on that handshake! It says tons about the person...a person with a weak, limp handshake will never get a job from me.

SpookyWriter
01-04-2008, 03:12 AM
Oh and another piece of advice...work on that handshake! It says tons about the person...a person with a weak, limp handshake will never get a job from me.Hey, nobody shook my hand and I still got the job. Maybe they just needed a warm body and I was a willing suspect.

Carole
01-04-2008, 03:39 AM
Job hunting is scary and interviews can be terrifying. I don't think many interviewers realize the level of stress that a person is feeling when they are being scrutinized. The last one I had was a little over two years ago and I felt very insecure about the whole ordeal. Like you, I had been self-employed for a long time and was used to that freedom.

What I learned in that interview was that skills I took for granted were actually very valuable to them. What I learned after the fact (behind the scenes when others were being interviewed by my company) is that sometimes interviewers are extremely impressionable about even trivial things. Try to at least pretend to be relaxed and comfortable. :) Good luck!!!

truelyana
01-04-2008, 03:39 AM
I like meeting new people, I feel most at ease then. The fact, that I have an Interview is not nerve wrecking, quite the contrary it's soothing and an exciting thought, awaiting a new experience. :)

truelyana
01-04-2008, 03:43 AM
Joyce (and Truelyana),

I'm part of the hiring committee for our 911 center. And as someone who actually gets to hire the desperate, (j/k :tongue) the people that tend to get hired are the ones that come in and treat the interview like a small formality. Their attitude just comes through as "Let's just get this out of the way so I can start my job." They're friendly, relaxed and articulate.

So relax. You're writers so you should be able to fake the articulate part. ;) And I know you've got the friendly part down with no problem. :)

Good luck!

Oh and another piece of advice...work on that handshake! It says tons about the person...a person with a weak, limp handshake will never get a job from me.

Thanks. It's interesting you mention the 'handshake' as me and a friend were practising it a couple of weeks back. The Manager I spoke with about the job, was friendly and kind and let me breathe. I felt at ease talking to him on the phone and even e-mailing him a few times. I feel the interview will be non-pressurized from he's angle, and quite casual.

joyce
01-04-2008, 04:47 AM
Joyce (and Truelyana),

Oh I hate those limp noodle handshakes! Especially when it's from a man. Thanks everyone again for the support. I'm hoping that being self employeed for so many years will show them that I'm a self starter and determined person. I'm still keeping a couple of days a week to myself so I can keep doing the few landscaping jobs I have left. Now if I could only make a couple of bucks writing.........I'd have to pay a heart surgeon for my heart attack. Thanks again everyone.

Joe270
01-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Best of luck to both of you.

One point, learn all you can about the company beforehand.

In the grocery store, the managers, asst managers, department heads, and lead checkers are often posted near the service desk. I'd start working on memorizing every name possible, that'll take off the pressure when you meet twenty people at once.

Also, I would park where the employees park, not the prime spot right out front. If the manager walks you out, he/she wouldn't miss the consideration. A nice parting shot.

joyce
01-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Also, I would park where the employees park, not the prime spot right out front. If the manager walks you out, he/she wouldn't miss the consideration. A nice parting shot.

This made me remember something and laugh. I was 16 the first time I worked for this company. The day I interviewed I locked my keys in the car and had to get the manager to come out and unlock the car for me. I still got the job. Of course then I was a heck of alot younger and better on the eyes. Funny to think I was making $2.00/hr. The pay probably isn't much better a hundred years later. It's a job though.

maestrowork
01-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Since I last interviewed more than 10 years ago and nailed the job, I hadn't been nervous about interviews anymore. I think being an actor helped as well, as I have to go to countless auditions (and more often than not not get the job). I used to be extremely nervous about these auditions, but not anymore. I figure: so what if I don't get it? There are other jobs. The less expectation I have, the better I handle my interviews.

Best of luck, Joyce.

truelyana
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Since I last interviewed more than 10 years ago and nailed the job, I hadn't been nervous about interviews anymore. I think being an actor helped as well, as I have to go to countless auditions (and more often than not not get the job). I used to be extremely nervous about these auditions, but not anymore. I figure: so what if I don't get it? There are other jobs. The less expectation I have, the better I handle my interviews.

Best of luck, Joyce.

That's the way to be. :) Casual, it's nothing serious, nor is life. :)