• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Content site] PageWise, Inc. / eSsortment / HappyNews.com

WordSoup

If this has been discussed somewhere on AW before, please point me in the right direction...

writeforcash.com and PageWise, Inc.

Has anyone wrote for them/been paid by them?...rejected by them?

I've read all I could on their websites. They get all rights, give you byline & $10 - $15. They pay through Paypal, which I've also read about, but not signed up for, yet.

Somebody give me the :thumbs and I'll jump right in.

Thanks - Jen

Maryn

ALL Rights?

I look with a leery eye at any publication (online or print) that pays poorly and buys all rights.

In one of my genres with few markets, one individual owns about 75% of the magazines, and insists on buying all rights. (A friend submitted a story and attempted to negotiate limited rights, but he wouldn't budge.) The theory is that he may be planning to publish the stories in anthology form at some point, and doesn't want to share with the authors.

I've seen (only once--so far) a website that bought all rights to short fiction for $10 - $25 that did publish a print version of the best stories, keeping 100% of the proceeds from its sale. Zip to the authors.

Later they created a members-only (paid, of course) part of the site where those stories could be read online. There were no other membership benefits (all other pages were free except the stories that had been in the book), but none of the membership fees went to the authors.

Sad to say, I'd warned an online acquaintance about submitting to that site when she asked if I had any experience with them, but she didn't take my advice. She has her lousy $15, and the site owner has sold her story, as part of a package, over and over.

Maryn, Fuming in Her Friend's Behalf:grr

Selenia

I've written for them

Need the cash so I've written for them, you choose your articles from their list of topics, write them up and submit them via an online form, and get paid at the end of each month. The all rights thing kinda sucks but I can't really argue right now lol :(

FM St George

Re: I've written for them

I've done a few articles for them - usually it took less than an hour and I did get paid at the end of the month for them. Sure, you lose rights and keep a byline, but for a bit of extra cash and if you can do it in under an hour...

can't complain from where I stand.

KatYares

Re: Info on Writeforcash/PageWise, Inc.?

Hubby and I both write for them - like another poster said, if you can do it in less than a hour, it's not that bad. Where I'm at 15.00 an hour isn't bad pay. As for the rights thing, you do get the byline and chances are (at least in our case) you would have a hard time finding other markets for their 'specific topics' anyway.

I say go for it - money is money after all.

Blessings
Kat

HapiSofi

Half a cent a word?

For all rights?

Er, um.

Ick.

FM St George

actually, if you write 1000 words, it comes to 1.5 cents a word - I don't do much more than that or less because I want to bash out one of these within the hour, making it worth my while to do a short article.

it's actually good in some ways to get a break from fiction writing and get your mind into a quick fix and then back out again - but if you're spending hours researching it, then it's not the game for you.

*shrug*

WordSoup

Thanks to all for your feedback. Maryn, I'm sorry for what happened to your friend.

I think I'm in the camp that says "I need the money (and just as important, the experience/byline) now.

I'll be picky-er when I'm rich-er :grin

FM St George

I should point out that this is NONFICTION, not FICTION - I wouldn't, under any circumstances, give up all rights to a fiction piece for a few bucks...

but for a bit of fast research and rehashing the facts, well...

Yeshanu

Just for info before some folks go clicking...

It's also for US writers only. >:

Signed,

A Canuck

veingloree

I am very tired of finding about nation-sepecific markets after a dozen clicks, or *after* I've submitted. Though the last one to dso this to me was Canadian ;)

jilacqua

wa:teeth WriteforCash is not worth it. You write three articles and then wait for them to review your article. You can't take any articles in the meantime. You're lucky if you can get more than 6 articlesIf they like it, they will buy it. Otherwise, you are out of money. Also, remember, they want completely original work, no cut and paste from other web sites. In most cases, it would take more than an hour to write a good article.

arrowqueen

ALL rights? Are you mad??!!??

FM St George

*shrug*

it all depends on what you want out of the deal - when they started up a few years ago I went with them because it was a fast, easy way to brush up on my research skills and get some clips - yes, you lose all rights but you can keep the byline.

when I applied to a small publishing house to write a nonfiction book for them, one of the reasons they chose me over other applicants was because I could produce short, sweet clips that showed my research ability and writing skill. It got me a contract and a book that's now on the shelves, The Pacific South States of Mexico by MasonCrest Publishing.

so dunna be dissing those who go this route - as I said above, if you can crank one out between fiction stories or wish to get some credits, it's something you may want to consider. I can usually do one article in less than an hour and get 10+ dollars for it; making it a nice fit between my other writing and it keeps my writing skills honed.

your mileage might vary, of course.

Betty W01

So far, I've written two clips for them, took me about one hour, 45 minutes, including the reformatting they asked me to do after I sent them both in. I have one more to go. They only let you take 3 at a time, and you wait about 1-2 wks to have them approved, but hey, in the situation I'm in at the moment, a quick $45 dollars (in about three hours) is not to be spurned. And I did choose topics on which I could do fast research and that I'd never want to write about again.

However, after reading the agreement to give up all rights, which included not only their right to edit, cut, lengthen, or otherwise change what I wrote, but to be able to twist or distort it, too (yep, in exactly that word "distort"), I turned down the bylines. I need the cash, but I value my professional reputation and don't need those kind of clips. I don't want my name attached to something if I have no control over what it is going to end up looking like or where it's going to go. Just give me the money, use it wherever and however (it was accurate and well-written when it left me, but now...??), and I'll walk away content.

Now, I'm waiting to find out when I'll get paid.

thewritelady

they were great for me

I have written many articles for writeforcash, and all of them ended up on www.webguru.com
If you are considering writing for them, you may want to go check out this site. I was nervous about the all-rights thing, but I am also one of those writers who still needs clips and really needs money.
The thing is, it really doesn't take much time to write these articles, most aren't even 1000 words, and if you pick something you know about, I did most of mine on tips for parents of toddlers.. there can be little to no research. I'm glad I left by byline there, because they didn't change anything on any of my articles.
They actually do pay very promptly, believe it or not. Automatically, on the first of every month, you get paid a lump sum for all the articles of the previous month through paypal, which I've had no problems with (so far). Paypal is what many ebay sellers require you to have to make payments with, so I got lucky and already had an account.
Even though it says they will take up to 20 articles a month, I haven't figured out how they even say that, because that posting was correct in that they only allow three at a time, but with mine, they have taken 6 days to respond on all of them, so actually you could do 12 a month if you wanted. I do see why they limit the amount, though, because sometimes they run severely low on article ideas.
All in all, it depends on your position in the industry. If you're already making money selling other articles, and aren't in need of the cash, I wouldn't recommend it. But if you are one of us who need money and bylines, you should definitely do it. last month I spent less than 4 hours on my articles for them, and made $89.
It covers my Internet service every month, plus some, and I get that wonderful feeling of actually getting paid for something I wrote!

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
Write for Cash selling addresses?

I signed up for Write for Cash a few weeks ago and never heard back. But over the last few days, I've received over seventy spam e-mails on my Yahoo account. Many of them have "agency", "writing", and even a "write for cash" return address. Every message has a 72kb attachment. Anyone else experiencing this? Or is it another culprit besides WFC?

Mags

hanging out in near-permanent lurkdom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tilneysandtrapdoors.com
Maddog said:
Every message has a 72kb attachment. Anyone else experiencing this?

I signed up but haven't heard back; still getting mostly free iPod/Notebook Computer/Sidekick crap and the usual Nigerian spammers. But I'd be real careful about that attachment if I were you. There's some nasty viruses going around.

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't opened any of the attachments. But if I wasn't so careful it would be tempting. A few were from places like "Robins Literary", "San Diego SCBWI", and other "real" names. The one from "Write for Cash" was supposedly from the webmaster, telling me my e-mail was blocked. And of course, had the 72kb attachment. It would be easy to click on these, thinking they were real e-mails.

So, I wonder which writing website has been selling my info? Can't be this one because I just signed up!

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I'm getting that same attachement via my wife's Yahoo group (I'm one of the moderators), except all of mine are coming from Colorado (Greeley College is one example). Usual BS lines (your e-mail account is frozen; Registration; Re: your account).

They're being shunted into my Bulk/Spam folder and deleted.

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
The BS lines are the same. I've never gotten this quantity of spam before, and they are all so similar.

Have you registered with "Agent Verification?" Perhaps they're the culprits?

peteski

Registered
Reaction score
So, in the end, it sounds like these guys are OK to work for so long as you:

1) don't need to make a LOT of money for your non-fiction
2) don't mind the potential for them to manipulate what you say (assuming you go with the byline)
3) don't mind losing all of your rights to what you write

I used to work for Traffic Logic a few years back and this sounds just like that (only less annoying). Is anyone still writing for WriteForCash? I tried to register, but they say they're not accepting any more applications. Since this thread is two years old, perhaps the WfC site isn't even being operated anymore...