Sniping & Petty Digs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Gang, if you're just going to make little digs and snipe at each other, I'll just start closing threads. I don't know what's going on today, but I'm seeing far too much of this behavior in this forum. I truly believe that you are all better than that.

The vast majority of you are adults and should be able to behave in a basic, civilized manner without someone constantly looking over your shoulder.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The only person you can control is yourself. The only person's behavior that you are responsible for is your own. If you need to get out, even if the windchill is below 0-degrees Fahrenheit, then get out. If you need to step away from the keyboard, then step away. If you have to put someone on ignore, then put them on ignore. But the sniping and the petty digs end now.

Verstehen Sie mich?

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
A post like this makes me :( - AW's probably the most mature forum I'm on.

I haven't really seen any of the digs - but to the people who are making them, really consider how the other person is going to feel.

At least here, the mods have our backs.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Links, please. :D

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A certain someone who shall remain nameless was being rather hypocritical between threads - Do as I say, not as I just did. This understandably rubbed certain others, who also shall remain nameless, the wrong way. Minor snarking ensued.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

You guys are nuts and why I stick around.

It wasn't any one place or thread. Just a general pattern of behavior I was noticing in multiple places that needed to end before it became widespread.

The request for links is denied. I enjoy torturing you that way.

Reaction score
Phew. I'm sure glad this thread isn't about me, because I never offend anyone!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I truly believe that you are all better than that.
I guess this is the head-scratcher part for me. How's that? We're exactly as good as we give.

Somedays that's a very fine thing. Other days, well...

At any rate, Ich verstahe the rest of it.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen the digs around here the past couple days, and for some reason methods of critique and the topic of beta readers seem to be very passionate issues for some of us...

I just hope I haven't offended anyone. I've tried to defend my own opinions, but I don't think I've attacked anyone... I hope :D

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's just post-holiday let down. Wait until spring fever hits. Birol's head will spin. :D

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I've run across a lot of these threads over the last year. (Both threads about handling perceived offensiveness and actual threads where people were offended because of a stray comment.)

Remember kids - tone does not come through in text. If you're already in a bad mood, don't read the boards. You'll take everything the wrong way and then be embarrassed about it later when you realized you overreacted. Bold, italics, et al can only do so much to insert emotion into posts. My rule of thumb is to assume everyone is being happy and sarcastic. It makes for a better reading experience.

In regards to crits -

Most people here are trying to help. If someone says something you don't like or don't agree with, it doesn't mean they hate you, or that they're trying to attack you. They're just offering their two cents. Listen or don't. No one is forcing anything on you, but if you ask for our honest opinions we're going to give them. This isn't grade school. We won't be nice for the sake of your feelings. Agents and Editors won't be nice, either. Think of it as preparation for the real world. Learn to deal with it now else it'll be that much harder to deal with later.

And I really wish I could speak German. My husband got a kick out of these responses (he was a German major).

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I've run across a lot of these threads over the last year. (Both threads about handling perceived offensiveness and actual threads where people were offended because of a stray comment.)
Yep, I've noticed this also - this "sniping" happened to me yesterday and I just walked away instead of trying to continue to help. I could've sniped back, but I decided to just let it go. :)

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

You guys are nuts and why I stick around.

It wasn't any one place or thread. Just a general pattern of behavior I was noticing in multiple places that needed to end before it became widespread.

The request for links is denied. I enjoy torturing you that way.
*Halts wrapping of French Truffles imported from Trier...grumbles over lost blackmail potential...pops truffle into mouth...grins chocolate toothy grin over Birol's determination not to share threads;hence, lost out on chocolate...*

Status
Not open for further replies.