PDA

View Full Version : Leno and Letterman

plaidearthworm
01-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Since this was the first night back, I just had to watch; I flipped back and forth between Leno and Letterman. I'm normally a Leno fan, and I did enjoy the energy of his show tonight. He mentioned that he could write for himself, and even said that it had been fun, writing his own jokes, like he did when he first started. The monologue was good, but I did check out Letterman a couple of times during his monologue. It was about the same as always, but I did like the Top Ten with striking writers. Both had Q&A bits, with Letterman's clearly scripted and Leno's not scripted-the not-scripted was more entertaining for me. I skipped Leno's first guest, Mike Huckabee, because I'm in Arkansas and I've seen enough of him, thank you. So I went with Letterman and Robin Williams, the amazing adlib machine. Letterman almost seemed to be trying to have the same kind of show as the other hosts, writer-free, with interviewing a major star who never needs notes, plus a staff member, and presenting the time-waster bit from the 80s. While Letterman had a full staff, I still preferred Leno. You could see him really working for his paycheck tonight, and he got into it.

As for O'Brien and Ferguson, hey, I'm a Craig Ferguson fan, so I never turned the channel back once he came on. :)

Will Lavender
01-03-2008, 07:44 PM
As for O'Brien and Ferguson, hey, I'm a Craig Ferguson fan, so I never turned the channel back once he came on. :)

So you're the one... ;)

Shadow_Ferret
01-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I have no idea who Craig Ferguson is. I even googled his picture and don't recognize him at all.

Can't imagine him coming even close to Conan, though. I DVR'd Conan, but haven't watched it yet. I have faith he'll be just as funny since he is a gagwriter anyway and used to write for The Simpson's before he got his own show.

I found it interesting that Leno's monolog without writers was as good, if not better, than usual.

I wasn't too keen on Letterman's Top Ten. Struck me as more whiney and snarky than funny.

Will Lavender
01-04-2008, 02:39 AM
I think Conan is the best of the three (er, four -- sorry Craig!) as well, SF.

Remember Craig Kilborn? Was he the biggest ass ever on late-night TV? I know that he sort of played an act, but man that guy was tough to watch. I remember he had a repeated bit about Kentucky that just pissed me off. Trailers, low IQs, foodstamps. Not funny...

Chumplet
01-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Craig Ferguson played Drew Carey's boss on his sitcom. The man is freakin' hilarious and I never fail to laugh at his facial expressions.

I'm anxious to see what Jon Stewart and Steve Colbert do when they're back on the air. They're back next week, aren't they?

katiemac
01-04-2008, 02:56 AM
I'm anxious to see what Jon Stewart and Steve Colbert do when they're back on the air. They're back next week, aren't they?

January 7th. ;)