Working in the biz

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
What do you think about artists working in the industry? For example, actors who work in a talent agency or writers who work for a lit agent or publishing house? I know those jobs aren’t easy to get, but when an artist is unable to support himself on his art alone, it makes some sense that he’d gravitate toward the ‘business.’ How many writers on this forum currently work or have thought about working in the industry?

I learned quite a bit by reading the Rejecter blog (rejecter.blogspot.com) – written by a writer working towards her MFA and also working for a lit agent and still submitting stuff of her own. I doubt I could multi-task like that, and I imagine one reason artists might not pursue work in the industry is the potential to get burned out. What are your thoughts?

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
My agent is a novelist and I think it really helps her when it comes to critiquing. She's VERY good at seeing things through a writer's eye. There have been so many things in my novels -- details, plot points, character quirks -- that she has seen and I have not.

Problem is, it's VERY hard to get into the "biz." The most common way to get in is to intern, and even these jobs are so low-paying that you pretty much have to have something else to supplement your income.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I work for Lulu, does that count?
You do NOT! (????)

Anyway, I was offered an interview at a talent and writers' agency, but for personal reasons, I declined in the end. I certainly think it couldn't have hurt, though, professionally.

I know that working in the media club hasn't done me any harm in terms of contacts, knowing what's going on etc. I've had a short script passed on to a BBC producer, who tried to get it made, talked to many TV writers (of Dr Who, Life on Mars, Cutting It, No Angels to name a few), read a Channel 4 script before they even cast it, and I know when I'm confident enough of the WIPs, I'll have lots of people I can approach.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
You do NOT! (????)
I'm one of the people in support. :)

I know that working in the media club hasn't done me any harm in terms of contacts, knowing what's going on etc. I've had a short script passed on to a BBC producer, who tried to get it made, talked to many TV writers (of Dr Who, Life on Mars, Cutting It, No Angels to name a few), read a Channel 4 script before they even cast it, and I know when I'm confident enough of the WIPs, I'll have lots of people I can approach.
Get more confident!

...was one of those writers Steven Moffat? If it was, I have to hunt you down in a jealous rage...

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of the people in support. :)

Get more confident!

Working on it. I just don't want to blow it with sub-standard stuff.

...was one of those writers Steven Moffat? If it was, I have to hunt you down in a jealous rage...

Please don't hunt me down, I'm too tired to run! Saw him and his wife last night, actually.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
One of the things that Steven says is that the who-you-know thing is largely bollocks, and he didn't start getting anywhere until he stopped writing crap. I do believe that if you're really, really good, and writing what they want, you will get opportunities. Someone will put your work in front of someone.

On the other hand, there is a certain prolific British writer who has been quoted to me on three separate occasions, by two UK producers and 1 US, as being a dreadful writer whose work always has to be re-written, but keeps getting hired cos he knows people from back in the day at Channel 4 and writes FAST and lots.

Status
Not open for further replies.